Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 9: Tears, McDonalds, and Lots of Shouting

*Josh’s POV*
I sat with my head in my hands by Stephanie’s bed. It’s been three days and she still hasn’t shown any signs of waking up. I feel like my heart is being stabbed a million times by the same rusty knife. Everyone comes to see her and stuff, waiting outside the room or just sitting in here quietly. They tried talking to her, cause they say talking to people in comas helps them wake up sooner. Me, I just can’t seem to get the words out of my mouth. I feel like it’s my fault that she’s in here, like I caused the accident. If I never yelled at her or accused her the way I did, she never would’ve been in this mess. It’s all my fault. “Dude, you need to get out of here for a bit; you need a shower, fresh air.” Logan said from the couch by the window, where Addy was sleeping with her head in his lap. “No, I’m not leaving her.” I whispered back. He gave me a look of remorse before going back to stroking Addy’s hair. I shook my head; it was only a matter of time before they got together. I looked back at Stephanie, her chest slowly rising and falling, but those beautiful brown eyes still not opened. I sighed and let the tears begin to freely fall as I held her hands in mine and lay my head down on the bed.

*Logan’s POV*
I heard Josh start crying and knew he needed to be alone with Steph, so I carefully lifted Addy into my arms and carried her outside, sitting on the couch out there as she slept. Two minutes later, she stirred in my arms and slowly, her beautiful blue/green orbs opened. I gave a small smile as I brushed the hair from her face. “Are there any changes?” she asked quietly. I shook my head ‘no’. “Go back to sleep Addy, you haven’t slept in two days.” I whispered to her. She nodded and closed her eyes just as Mel & Zach walked in with Greg, Cassie, Ryan, and Bells, bags of McDonalds in their hands. “LJ, wake her up please, she needs to eat.” Mel said quietly. I nodded and gently nudged Addy. “Addy, sweetheart, Mel wants you to eat. Wake up.” I said softly. I had become accustomed to calling her sweetheart, and she didn’t seem bothered by it. She groaned and carefully sat up, still leaning onto my body, which I didn’t mind at all. She opened her eyes as Mel handed me a bag of food and two sodas for us. We all started eating quietly when we heard the ICU doors burst open. “WHERE IS HE!??” her high-pitched voice sounded.

*Addy’s POV*
We were all eating silently, well I was trying to eat, but being half asleep was destroying my attempts. Then the ICU doors slammed open and we heard a shrill voice shout. “WHERE IS HE!?!?” I looked up from the food in my lap and we all frowned when we saw Rebecca standing there. “What do you want Rebecca?” Isabel asked, the venom in her voice dripping off every word. “Not that it’s any of your concern but I’m here for Josh; I heard he was here. He never showed for our date three nights ago, or the one for last night.” she replied, not an ounce of worry in her voice. “So you know he’s here because his best friend was almost killed and is on the verge of death?” Bells asked again, getting angrier by the minute. Rebecca scoffed. “Oh that miserable girl…I thought she died on impact.” I heard her murmur. “What did you just say?” I asked, not believing what I just heard. “You heard me Abby.” Rebecca answered. “First of all, it’s Addy. Second of all, don’t you dare call Stephanie miserable. The only reason shes like that is because of you. And third, what the hell did you just say?” I said, my temper rising. “I said I thought she died on impact.” Rebecca replied. “Wait a second, we never said how Steph ended up in here.” Cassie said after a quiet minute. “Great. Now my secret’s out of the bag.” Rebecca groaned. “Are you saying what I think your saying?” Bells said angrily as Ryan did his best to hold her back. Rebecca smirked. “ANSWER ME!” Bells shouted. Rebecca didn’t jump, but she answered. “Yes. I was the one who hit Stephanie and drove off. I’d do it again too.” She said proudly. We all gasped, only to hear another voice add to our conversation. “YOU WHAT!?” he shouted. We turned towards Stephanie’s door to see Josh. Oh no…

*Josh’s POV*
I didn’t notice that Logan and Addy had left the room until I heard the door close. I looked up and wiped my tears. “Steph, please wake up soon. I can’t lose you.” I whispered just as I heard a commotion outside. I stood and went to the door, listening to what was going on. “Great. Now my secret’s out of the bag.” I heard Rebecca groan. “Are you saying what I think your saying?” Bella asked, an angry tone in her voice. I knew Ryan was probably holding her back. Silence replied Bells’ question. “ANSWER ME!” She shouted. Silence again, but only for a minute. “Yes. I was the one who hit Stephanie and drove off. I’d do it again too.” She said proudly. The rest of them gasped but I felt the anger rush through me as I heard those words and immediately opened the door. “YOU WHAT?!?!” I shouted. Everyone looked toward me, and Rebecca turned around. She smiled, trying to look innocent and epically failing, as she walked towards me. “Baby! I missed you, I was worried you had forgotten about me.” She said as she tried to snake her arms around my shoulder. I moved out of the way. She frowned. “Joshy, what’s wrong?” she asked quietly.

“You’re the reason Steph is in a coma? You’re the reason my BEST FRIEND may never wake up!?!?!” I shouted at her. “but Joshy, I did it for you, me, us. You don’t need her. Why do you think I told you she said those mean things to me? I wanted you, and not her to come along like a package deal. You’re my Josh.” She said. I felt my face twist in horror. “You see that’s where youre wrong. It’s over Rebecca; You didn’t do it for us, you did it for your own selfish reasons. You lied to me! You manipulated me. And you may have cost me my best friend and love of my life!!!!!!” I shouted. Everyone gasped and my eyes widened. Did I really just say that out loud. There was silence then all of a sudden, a panicked sound of beeping machines came from Steph’s room and a group of doctors and nurses rushed in, closing the door. “Steph! What’s going on! What’s wrong with her!?!” I shouted as another nurse began to run in. Zach held me back, but I broke free. I felt my heart drop as I watched through the window as the doctors did chest compressions. After two minutes, all that was too be heard from the room was the sound of a flat-lining heart beat. My heart stopped as the nurses stopped the chest compressions and all the machines were turned off. “I’m calling it.” I heard a doctor say. “STEPH! NO!!!!” I cried, running into the room as the doctors and nurses cleared out.

“Steph, please wake up. NO, this wasn’t supposed to end this way. We were supposed to grow old together; watching our grandkids play on the beach, remember? Just like we said years ago. Please StephieBaby, you can’t leave me like this!” I sobbed as I sat beside her lifeless body. The remaining doctors and nurses finally cleared the room, leaving me with my tears and broken heart.