Sequel: Light in the Storm
Status: Finished. Sequel: Light in the Storm

Eyes of Light

Thirty; Mistakes

The morning classes weren’t exactly a breeze. It was either Anna apologizing or Josh giving me the death glare: I didn’t know which was more annoying. And just when I thought I was looking forward to English… I wasn’t. I saw Nick sitting in his normal spot, his face blank, but when his eyes locked me, they looked slightly angry. What did I do this time?

Instead of taking my seat, I quickly maneuvered through the desks and plopped down next to Nick. He didn’t move.

“Nick,” I whispered, but he refused to look at me. Instead, he glanced back down at his binder, as if I were completely invisible. “Nick, look at me,” I demanded in a harsh whisper. He sighed.

“What?” he suddenly snapped, his voice a harsh whisper. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down at my hands, glancing up at his stern face through my bangs.

“Why are you angry with me?”

“Oh, gee Lonnie. I don’t know,” he scoffed, crossing his muscular arms over his chest, which was clothed with a thin blue v-neck and a leather jacket. Heaven. I shook my thoughts away and met his eyes with pure confusion. “Maybe it’s the fact that, after you told me you weren’t going to tell anyone about us dating, the whole school seems to know. And it’s not even lunch yet.”

My eyes widened in shock and I chose not to pay attention to all the kids crowding in, the bell about to ring. A few even hit my chair, making it move away from Nick a little, but I didn’t say anything. I caught his gaze and realized it was even harsher, but it wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, and he quickly pulled my chair back. My breath hitched when I realized how close his face was to mine, but now was not a good time to think about that.

“I… didn’t tell anyone. Anna guessed.”

“And you didn’t tell her no?”

“I wasn’t going to lie. She’s my second best friend,” I sighed, feeling my heart thud a little faster. I couldn’t afford petty arguments with Nick anymore. We were dating and he could easily break up with me. Just because we were soul mates didn’t mean he had to love me, or even like me. I didn’t want our progression to be thrown away.

“Your second best friend? And you told her?” He was getting even angrier. I felt myself shrink back in my seat, my eyes not budging from my face.

“Well, I think of you as my first best friend, and you already knew…” I trailed off. Of course he knew, he’s the one who asked me. His face changed suddenly and he clenched his jaw, his hands tightening on the table. The bell rang, but, to my surprise, that didn’t stop him from talking.

“Don’t say things like that. It’s sickeningly sweet,” he muttered, pushing a few stray curls back. I smiled slightly and shrugged, just realizing that the room was getting hotter. Stupid glow.

I stared at Nick for a moment, the chatter around dying down, but I hardly noticed. The door squeaked open and a tall, skinny man with bronze colored hair and big, black-like eyes stepped in, his glasses present. I paid only a spec of attention to him because he felt eerie, but then I quickly glanced over at Nick. He was staring at the man… his face so intent, I thought he was about to fall out of his seat.

“Class, take your seats. I’m Mr. Barnes, your substitute for the day,” he grumbled, clearing his throat. I ignored him while everyone else listened, whispering about how weird he seemed already. I rolled my eyes.

Setting a hand on Nick’s thigh, I watched him jump almost a foot, his eyes wide with surprise. I held back a giggle and caught his gaze, watching him swallow hard. What was the big deal? Was he that engrossed in staring at Mr. Barnes? Or was my hand uncomfortable for him? I looked down and realized that it probably was a little too close for him, immediately blushing. I didn’t feel the need to apologize for that, though.

“I’m really sorry Nick. I didn’t mean for everyone to find out. It was probably Josh. He’s angry about… us; if there still is an us?” I muttered, rubbing my arm nervously. It took him a moment of staring at me with undecipherable emotions before he slowly nodded, letting his curls bounce the slightest.

“Miss Stewart, take your correct seat,” Mr. Barnes suddenly spoke, catching my attention. I quickly looked up to meet his hard gaze, swallowing the lump in his throat. His eyes definitely looked… black. He wasn’t holding a role sheet; how did he know my name?

I began to move slowly and he turned towards the board, picking up the marker to write. I leaned in closer to Nick, sighing with relief once I realized that he was staring at me with amusement now. But he still looked uneasy. I ignored the few stares I was receiving.

“And about everyone knowing… you can tell them all it’s not true, if you’re embarrassed about it-”

“What?” he asked suddenly, knitting his thin eyebrows together in confusion. “Is that what you think? That I’m embarrassed? Lonnie, don’t be stupid.” That was one of his favorite sentences, but I was smiling too much to protest now.

“Really? That’s not why you’re angry?”

“No,” he hissed shaking his head. “I just like my business private and, as far as I’m concerned, you’re my business too. So don’t tell people things.”

“Are you trying to say that I’m like your property or something?” I furrowed my eyebrows, cocking my head out of reflex to my confusion. I wasn’t so sure that being Nick’s property would exactly be a bad thing… I shook my thoughts away and tried to focus on why I was thinking that suddenly. And why was I acting like I had to hide my thoughts? He couldn’t read those, after all.

“In a way,” he nodded, a sly smirk covering his full lips. His eyes seemed to light up some, making me smile in turn. He leaned in, his face just inches away from mine. His hot breath hit my lips and I knew for a fact that he was aware of all the wide-eyed stares and the faces that said ‘are they going to kiss right here?’ I wasn’t the least bit embarrassed though. “I protect what belongs to me,” he whispered, his voice low. I held on to my chair, making sure I didn’t slip off while I gaped at him.

“Miss Stewart, I thought I told you to take your seat,” that gruff voice sounded. I jumped, biting my lip. He was staring harshly at me, his arms crossed.

“Sorry,” I mumbled, pulling away from Nick who had easily pulled back before Mr. Barnes could witness it. I cleared my throat and stood this time, shuffling to my seat slowly, glancing over to see him turn around and stare down at the book. I quickly and quietly made my way back to my previous seat, getting Nick to roll his eyes.

“What are you doing?” he breathed, pulling my chair closer so we could whisper. I grabbed his hand, the warmth immediately trickling through me.

“I just wanted to make sure you weren’t mad at me anymore…” I whispered, peeking to make sure Mr. Barnes wasn’t looking before taking in Nick’s softer features. I took this moment to admire his beauty, sighing with a smile.

“I’m not,” he breathed, scratching his head with his free hand. His eyes locked with mine. “I just don’t get why you’re so open with people.”

“If I wasn’t open with you, we probably wouldn’t be as close as we are,” I pointed out. I was the one who asked him to be my partner and sat next to him at lunch.

“We’re close?” he questioned, raising his eyebrow in amusement. I moved my hand to smack his chest but he quickly caught it, placing his lips to mine. “Hey, none of that,” he chuckled. And then he did what I wasn’t expecting. He pressed his lips to the top of my hand smoothly, his eyes locking mine the whole time. I was dizzy.

“Yes, we’re close,” I finally answered, clearing my cracking voice. I hated when he did things like that to me. Nick had charm that could do the unknown. He could get anyone to do anything he wanted with a simple wink. And this time I wasn’t counting only myself as everyone.

“Then I’m not completely failing at being a boyfriend?” he breathed, biting his lip. It made me smile, the way he cared about that.

“Seeing as you just started, I’d say you’re doing just fine. But I have a few tips…”

“Oh?” he questioned, his tone only slightly sarcastic.

“Mhm. Maybe you should try being more tolerant with me, I tend to make a lot of mistakes.”

“I know,” he breathed, shutting up once I glared.

“And… just a little bit more affectionate?” I gave him a smile, trying my best to convince him. He just stared.

“What more do you want me to do? Tackle you to the floor and hold you all day?” I opened my mouth to speak, but he quickly cut me off. “Don’t answer that.” I saw that hidden smirk though.

“Stewart, this is the last time I’m saying this: get to your seat or take a detention.” I jumped a little at the voice, turning to see Mr. Barnes look even angrier. I swallowed hard, quickly pulling my hand away from Nick’s. He didn’t even give me time to move. “You’re serving detention with me after school today.”

“But-” I started, quickly cut off.

“You can’t give her detention just because she didn’t sit in her assigned seat. You haven’t even given an assignment to do, or any type of direction,” Nick spoke up. Everyone turned to face the usually silent boy, my own eyes locking his for a split second before his gaze turned hard, focusing on Mr. Barnes.

“And you are?” Mr. Barnes asked, trying to keep his sternness, but I could see he was nervous and I heard the shakiness in his voice. Was he… scared?

“I think you know,” Nick said clearly, his voice still hard. I furrowed my eyebrows and wondered what that meant. Was I missing something. “Go sit down Lonnie,” Nick instructed, his voice a little softer as he looked at me. I quickly obeyed and hurried to my seat, glancing around at all the weird stares. Nick and Mr. Barnes continued to stare each other down, and I worried that Nick might phase right there. But the teacher was harmless.

But Nick seemed to know otherwise.

[&&light]

When Mr. Barnes dismissed the class, Nick hurried to my side and practically pushed me out of the room, my gaze locked on the teacher as we passed. He just stared and I shivered. The hallway was crowded and he grabbed my hand, pulling me down the hall. I didn’t protest or ask where we were going, I just watched him take me there. People continued to look at us strangely, for a mixture of reasons, but I didn’t care. I never did.

Nick pulled me towards my grade’s locker bin, slipping around the idiot people who decided to stand in the middle of the hall, waiting for the bell to ring. I just tried to move my feet as fast as he was pulling me. He didn’t even stop when a few teachers called our names, wondering where we were going and why were going so fast. I wondered the same.

He pulled me down the skinny set of stares that lead to a few faculty rooms; the teachers lounge, a janitors closet, and a supply closet. He lead me to the one marked “supply closet.” My eyes widened. What were we doing here? He jiggled the door knob, satisfied when it opened with a creak, and pushed me in without a word. It was a small room, a very, very small room, and my body immediately hit the wall.

“Ouch,” I grumbled, rubbing my forehead. Nick pulled himself inside just as the bell echoed through the school, his chest up against my back due to the small space. I gulped. The room was dark, but easily lit for the two of us by my dim glow, his face looking even softer--like an angel. I could see that his cheeks were a rosy color and he took a small step back, which didn’t do much for how close we were. I didn’t mind.

I took a moment to look around; there were a couple shelves with boxes of pens and pencils and staples and tape, there were stacks of paper and books, and there were even plastic cups and napkins. It was a mixture of small supplies, but that wasn’t what I cared about. What I wanted to know was why Nick and I were here instead of in our separate classrooms. His face looked troubled.

“What?” I whispered, feeling like I had to hold my breath.

“Mr. Barnes…” he muttered, rubbing his cheek.

“What about him?” I definitely wanted to know what was up with their little staring contest back there. Nick trailed his eyes over me, finally setting on my face. He squinted some.

“Can’t you turn that glow down somehow?” he muttered. I knew he was only half-serious. I rolled my eyes.

“I can’t. You’re making me nervous,” I admitted sheepishly, shifting my weight nervously.

“I’m not even doing anything,” he breathed.

“Well? It isn’t my fault. Maybe step back or something,” I suggested weakly.

I watched him take a step forward though, my eyes widening when his body practically smashed into mine, but gently.

“That’s not back!” I hissed, trying to calm myself.

“I know,” he shrugged, sliding both of his hands into mine. I didn’t know where this was coming from, but… I liked it. And I was still nervous, trying to stop my hands from fidgeting in his when he cocked his head, his curls tickling my forehead. “I like knowing the way it feels when you’re nervous.”

“Nice to know you get a kick out of it,” I grumbled, not bothering to pull my hands away to cross my arms. I didn’t want to go to extremes.

“It’s nice to know that you do too,” he chuckled breathily, his chocolate orbs lighting with amusement. I gulped.

“What’re you-” Before I could finish, one of his hands slipped out of mine, his fingers gripping my chin.

“You know… I didn’t come here just to be alone with you,” he said in such a soft tone, it was as if he weren’t speaking at all. But I couldn’t help watch his lips. “I’m starting to think that’s not such a bad idea though.”

Oh, no. No, no, no he was not going to make me feel this way at school. I practically turned into a puddle right on the floor. I thought I was going to drop, but his hand stayed connected with my chin, the other one releasing my hand, allowing his arm to slide around my waist. Somebody help, I’m paralyzed from the neck down.

“What’re you-” I tried again, but I heard him shush me, raising his eyebrows. Footsteps sounded from outside the door and my heart lurched even more than what Nick was making it do. I stayed leaned against his chest, my face inches from his. He stared into my eyes, waiting for the intruder to pass. When he finally did, I let out my breath, only to have it be caught again by Nick’s lips grazing mine.

I let my eyes shut slowly while his lips hesitantly touched mine, moving at an almost teasing rate. I noticed that his breath shook against me a little and I couldn’t help but feel my nerves act up again. When his lips finally stuck, it was like I had no worries--but I really had tons. I just didn’t have to think about them with Nick. He made things okay. I realized that class had started and that he wanted to tell me something, but neither of us pulled away. I pushed my arms up a little, locking them around his neck, and I felt myself gasp when he pushed forward slowly. My back hit the wall and his grip tightened reflexively, the noise from the screeching chairs and humming of voices breaking through from the classroom above.

“Hey Nick?” I breathed, my voice a little squeaky when he pulled back. He was probably used to it by now. I watched his expression change some, waiting for my question. I wanted to tell him what I felt… so, so badly. But I didn’t know if he was ready to openly say it yet. I thought knowing he loved me was good enough, but I wanted to hear him say it again. I didn’t want to push it. “What were you going to tell me? About Mr. Barnes?” I breathed, swallowing the other words.

He sighed heavily and released his arm from around my waist, running them through his soft curls. His face was now concentrated. “I’m getting a weird vibe from him.”

“You and vibes Nick, I tell you,” I sighed, shaking my head. But I knew he was serious and I was curious. “What kind of vibe exactly?”

“First of all, he knew you right from the start.”

“I caught that too,” I muttered.

“He knows who I am, that’s for sure, and he’s trying to cover up with some stupid game because he already slipped. I know his name isn’t Mr. Barnes.” He pursed his lips and let out another deep breath. He was thinking. He knew something.

“What?” I encouraged, chewing on my lip nervously.

“Lucas and Jeremy went ‘missing,’ right?” he mumbled, using air quotes. I smiled slightly but quickly nodded. “And we’re supposed to look for them. Mr. Barnes wanted you to stay after school, but he didn’t offer to give me a detention…”

“Because he knows you’re my protector?” I whispered, things making slight sense. He nodded.

“Now you’re getting it.”

“But… what exactly does that mean?”

“It means we’re taking too long. We cut off communication with Sheba and Coimbra. My guess is that Eve isn’t saying anything. Lucas and the gang want us out, and they want us now… and they want you, preferring you to be unprepared. They’re looking for us now, and he found us.”

My head was spinning by now, Nick’s whispered words sending chills up and down my spine. I was scared again. I really was, but I knew this would happen sooner or later. Now the only question was… “Who exactly is… he?” I asked shakily. His eyes were so sure now.

“Mr. Barnes has to be Lucas Plaster. And my guess is, by the end of the day, he’ll have us out and fighting. You have to be ready Lonnie. Because I’m ready to protect you.”

[&&light]

To say that my mind was in a daze would be an understatement. We had made it back to class, for the last ten minutes, and I couldn’t pay attention whatsoever. I wasn’t ready for this. I hadn’t practiced as much as I needed to or gained the skill I was hoping for. I didn’t know what I was doing like Nick did, and I didn’t even get to change his dad back yet. I’d have to do that after… if I lived.

I gulped.

The shrill sound of the lunch bell made me jump, and I moved towards the door like a zombie. Did Eve know this was happening? Was she going to be there? And Nick’s pack… what about Ryan and Russell? I stared down at the orb around my neck, knowing that my mother would be there for sure. And Nick: my inspiration. I inhaled deeply and shoved my binder into my locker, heading down the hall before Anna or Josh could see me. I looked for Nick, wondering if he was already down there, but I had no clue where he could be. Was I supposed to meet him somewhere? Or just go about my day like I might not possibly fail everyone and die. I missed my daddy.

I bounded down the steps and was immediately hit with icy air, my breath being taken away. I squinted to see all the dark rolling clouds, my hands shaking at just the thought. What, was it stalking me? Waiting for me to be alone so it could attack me without a fair fight? Where was Nick?

“Lonnie, wait!” a voice suddenly sounded and I jumped, freezing in my spot. I hadn’t realized that my feet had taken me across the street and to the side of the cafeteria, close to the benches. But there was Josh, jogging to catch up to me.

Great.

“What?” I muttered harshly, crossing my arms to shield myself from the cold. He inhaled deeply and scratched his neck.

“Why are you mad at me?”

“You told everyone about me and Nick.” He didn’t deny it.

“You shouldn’t be embarrassed about that… if you like him so much,” he shrugged, smirking. I wanted to wipe it right off his face.

“I’m not embarrassed. It’s the fact that it’s none of your business, or anyone else for that matter. I thought you were my friend-”

“Don’t get so worked up!” he pleaded, interrupting me. I huffed. “We are friends, but now you know how it feels to be betrayed.”

“Betrayed?” I scoffed, throwing my hands up. Thunder rumbled through the sky. It just made what was going to happen even creepier. “How did I betray you? We’re friends, Josh. Nothing more.”

“But it doesn’t have to be that way,” he breathed, taking a step closer. I watched him cautiously, biting my lip. “I like you Lonnie, don’t you like me?”

“Yes, but not-” I didn’t even get to finish my sentence before he pushed forward, smashing his lips onto mine. My eyes widened and I was momentarily shocked, everything in me shutting down. It wasn’t like when Nick kissed me, my body just shut down then, leaving my heart and mind to race. But now… now it was just weird.

When I gained my sense back, I pulled away and opened my mouth to yell, quickly shutting it once my eyes settled on the figure close by: Nick. His arms were crossed loosely over his chest, leaning on his shoulder against the old building. His eyes burned into me intently, a mixture of emotions that I could hardly read: confusion, shock, anger, hurt… My breath quivered. I locked my eyes on him and tried my best to breathe, but that one shake of his head, that one broken and furious look dropped me down. I thought I actually fell, but there I stood… right in front of Josh. He turned around, his eyes no doubt settling on Nick, but Nick didn’t bother to look at him. He was too busy staring at me.

When Josh turned back around, I could see the smug smile on his face. As if to say he won. But he didn’t win anything. He lost. I was never going to forgive him for this, and I was pretty sure Nick felt the same about me. I wanted to cry.

“Come on Lonnie,” Nick said, his voice void of all the emotion I had worked so hard to bring out. We were back at square one. We were back to nothing.

I looked down to my shoes and immediately pushed past Josh, feeling him stumble back a bit with my added force. I didn’t care. He could fall on his face and I still wouldn’t care. I moved towards Nick slowly, not bothering to grab for his hand like I wanted to. He’d probably smack it away. I didn’t need that. I did glance up, however. And what I saw was not what I wanted. He kept his gaze straight ahead, his pace fast enough so he didn’t have to walk by me, but slow enough so he could lead me wherever he wanted.

He led me back across the street and over the damp grass. I knew we were going to the back of the school, towards the forest, to the field… and just to think that all of this was happening now… was I supposed to die? I couldn’t do this knowing Nick hated me, and I was sure he did.

“Nick,” I whispered. He didn’t look over though, he just kept walking, shoving his hands into his tight jean pockets. “Nick, I-”

“Don’t,” he interrupted, his voice cold. I gulped, shutting my eyes tight, but quickly opening them once I remembered I could easily trip and he wouldn’t care now.

“I didn’t kiss him-”

“I said don’t,” he hissed, turning to face me. His eyes were wide, blocked, and his lips were pursed, like he was trying to hold back.

“I didn’t,” I breathed, my voice shaky. I sniffled, biting back my tears. He wasn’t fazed. “I wouldn’t--I would never…”

“You don’t need to explain anything to me, I don’t want to hear it.”

He turned away quickly and started down the hill, not bothering to check to see if I was coming. This was worse than before, worse than when we first met. I felt tears prick my eyes, a few trickling down my cheeks. My glow wasn’t as bright as it should’ve been, as I wanted it to be.

“Stop crying, it’s not worth it,” he muttered.

“Why are you so mean?” I snapped, finally catching up to him. I was crying now and I didn’t bother hiding it. He spun around, his face inches from mine.

“I don’t know. Maybe because I just found my girlfriend kissing somebody else. You know, you aren’t the only one with feelings.”

“Well you could’ve fooled me!” I shouted, wiping my tears away hastily. He stared at me blankly, narrowing his eyes.

“Yeah, and you know what? You did fool me.” I was caught off guard with the whisper of his voice.

“What?” I choked out, confused. The leaves crunched under my feet as I shifted, not bothering to push the hair that was sticking to my face away.

“Maybe I don’t know so much about how to show how I feel, but I don’t throw myself out there for this exact reason.”

“Nick, I would never hurt you-”

“Too late.”

He turned back around and stomped through the leaves, maneuvering easily around the large roots. My vision became blurry again and I slowly trudged after him, trying my best to remember how to breathe. I didn’t know what to do. I was the one always thinking about how I wanted things to progress, but I was the one who messed it up. I should’ve ran when Josh came, but I didn’t know he was crazy. I should’ve waited for Anna so I wouldn’t have to be alone with him. I should’ve told Nick that I loved him when I had the chance.

And now I was going into something I knew nothing about. I knew Nick would protect me, that was his job. But I also knew that he didn’t care anymore. I wanted him to care.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, so this was kind of a bi-polar chapter. ha. Look, Nick really does have feelings! Nah, i feel kind of bad now though. But I also like this chapter.

They were getting a lot closer... but now nothing. Don't hate me, it'll get better.

So I thought I'd let you now. There are two more chapters left, from the way it looks to me now. The climax is obviously the fight, which is the next chapter. And then the last on after that. But here's the cool part: SEQUEL. haha. Yep. I'm so excited. The sequel is called Light in the Storm, thank you to Rachel(Star in The Daylight) for coming up with that one. I hope you guys are excited. It'll be a little more mature, in a way, and probably a little darker... but not a whole lot.

I'll update Take Me There tomorrow, hopefully.

But anyway... COMMENTS if you want the next update faster. I want to know what you guys like and everything.(: