‹ Prequel: My Safe Haven

10 Things

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I walked into the doctor’s office and up to the front desk.

“Can I help you sweetie?” the receptionist asked me with a smile on her face.

“Hi, my name is Iris Simons-James, and I have a one o’clock appointment with Dr. Hines.” I said and she nodded her head.

“Fill out these papers, then bring them back to me and then the doctor will call you in.” she said and handed me the forms. I sat down in the chair and filled out the forms. Once I was done, I took the forms up to the receptionist and handed them to her. She smiled at me and I returned to my seat.

“Iris?” I heard and I turned my head towards the door. There stood Dr. Hines with a smile on his face. I stood up and followed him into the room.

“So how are you today Iris?” he asked me and I shrugged.

“Tired, and nauseous, but other than that, I guess I’m okay.” I said and he nodded and wrote down things on the chart.

“So we are going to give you a chest scan today, to determine where exactly your cancer is and if it has spread at all.” he said and I just nodded. I followed him, and laid down on the bed like he told me too. A few minutes later he came out from the little room in the corner of the room and told me to follow him back into the examination room. I did as I as told and sat down in the chair. We were both quiet while he looked over the scan results.

“Well Iris, it looks like it hasn’t spread much. Now there are two options. We can go in and remove the womb, or we can give you chemotherapy and radiation.” he said and I nodded.

“What are the down side of each of those?”

“The down side of us removing hey womb, is that you can’t have children. The down side of chemotherapy and radiation is hair loss, extreme tiredness and weakness and many more.” he said and I nodded.

“Can I let you know at my next appointment next week?” I asked and he nodded. He handed me a paper and I walked out. I texted Riley and told her that we were going to start my list tonight. Starting with number nine. A few minutes later my cell phone rang, and it was an unknown number.

“Hello?” I said and heard giggling on the other end.

“Hello is this Iris?” I heard someone ask and I grunted in response.

“Yes, who the fuck is this?” I asked getting rather annoyed with this person. The person giggled and I could hear yelling in the back ground.

“Stacey? What are you doing with my phone?” the person yelled and I assumed took the phone away.

“Hello?”

“Hello?”

“Who is this? And why are you calling my phone?”

“Hun you called my phone and this is Iris who is this?” I asked and I heard a laugh.

“Stacey what the fuck is your problem? No stop playing with that. Put the scissors do-” I gave up and hung the phone up. I hate when people do this and today wasn’t the best day to mess with me. One I was PMSing and I just found out I have to either have my womb taken out or have chemo and radiation.

<><><><> Later That Night <><><><>

“IRIS YOUR DAD AND I ARE GOING OVER TO GRADMA AND GRANDPA’S HOUSE FOR THE NIGHT! DON’T BURN THE HOUSE DOWN AND MAKE SURE YOU RESTOCK THE CUPBOURDS AFTER YOU USE EVERYTHING FOR YOUR CUPCAKES!” my mom yelled from the door before she walked out. Riley and I laughed and turned up the radio.

“I love our mommy.” Riley said and I nodded.

“Me too Riley, me too.” I said and opened up my cook book. After six hours and 278 cupcakes later Riley and I had made very single cupcake in the book. Even though we were covered in half the batter because some one decided to start a cupcake batter war and cover our kitchen and dining room with cupcake batter. I frost a few dozen of them and put them in a pretty box and walked over to Aunt Steph’s house. I rang the doorbell and then looked at my watch.

“Fuck. 2:30 A.M.?” I hissed at myself after I heard someone stumble to the door. It opened slowly and I saw Ethan standing there, shirtless clad only in boxers, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“I’m sorry I didn’t look at the clock before I came over.” I said and turned but turned back around and shoved the box at him.

“What’s this?” he asked and I smiled.

“A couple dozen cupcakes. It was number nine on my list to make all the cupcakes from my cupcake book. So Riley and I just spent the last seven hours making cupcakes.” I said and he laughed.

“What flavors are there in this box?”

“Chocolate, vanilla, lime, lemon, strawberry, and French vanilla.” I said and he nodded.

“Sorry again.” I said and went to turn away but he grabbed my arm. I turned around and looked at him

“Want to come eat some with me?”

“I would love too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so sorry for the wait. comments please?