Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

In The Nick Of Time

Jack’s POV

Out of breath from the last few miles of jogging, I walked quickly across Zack’s front lawn. The sounds of Blink 182 were blasting loudly. Even from the street I could hear it word for word. I swallowed and took a deep breath. I adjusted my jacket before knocking; or more like banging; on the door loudly. I waited a few moments. No answer. I banged even louder and the door swung open. A girl, who I didn’t recognize stood there. Plastic cup in hand; she already looked extremely wasted.

“Can I help you cutie?” she slurred; her breath reeking of beer.

I shook my head and brushed past her; leaving her talking to the empty door way. I stepped through people and over some people into Zack’s over crowded living room. I had no idea Zack had this much of a following. I sighed in relief when I spotted Zack leaning against the wall with Rian and Kara. Kara was smiling brightly. I walked over to them; my breathing still not fully back to normal.

Zack gave me a strange look as I approached.

“Where’s Alex?” I asked him loudly over the music.

“Jack? How’d you...?” Zack started but I cut him off.

‘Where’s Alex Zack?”

“He didn’t come,” Zack told me. “He texted me not long after you did saying he didn’t want to be here without you.”

“What?”

“He’s not here,” Rian piped in and I turned to look at him. “He must be at home.”

“Shit,” I muttered mainly to myself. I ran my fingers through my hair. “What time is it?”

“A quarter to twelve,” Kara answered after checking her phone.

“I’m not going to make it,” I sighed.

“Make it where?” Zack asked.

“Alex’s.”

“But why?”

“He wants to kiss him at midnight,” Kara answered for me; her smile sweet and knowing.

I smiled right back at her.

“In that case, come on!” Rian grabbed my wrist tightly and dragged me towards the door. Zack and Kara followed.

“What...?” I asked over the music.

“I’ll drive you,” Rian told me; taking his car keys from the hook by the door. “Hurry up.”

Rian didn’t let go of my wrist until we reached the car. He unlocked it quickly and we climbed in; Rian, Kara and myself. Rian started the car and shifted into first gear immediately. His tyres screeched on the tar and we pulled away from the curb quickly. I was thrown back into my seat and I fastened my seat belt. With one hand on the wheel and one holding one of Kara’s, Rian steered his way around the corner from Zack's house and onto the main road that lead to mine and Alex’s.

My nerves grew as we sped through the streets; dodging the few cars that were still on the roads at this time. the speed of the car only let up a few times; stop signs and red lights the only things in our way. I chewed on my lip and silently cursed myself for not bringing my phone or wearing a watch or something.

“What time is it?” I leaned forward and asked Kara.

“About ten to twelve,” she turned a little and smiled at me.

I sat back against the seat and smiled slightly back to her. I started gnawing on my thumb nail. How corny can I seriously be? Racing through the streets to kiss my, Alex, at midnight. I guess you could say I have become quite corny lately. Its the affect Alex has on me.i glanced out the plastic window of Rian’s jeep and watched as the houses and trees fly past us. I was thrown forward suddenly when Rian hit the breaks at a red light.

“Shit,” Rian muttered. “Sorry. The arse hole in front of me stopped!”

He raised his voice so the person in the car in front of him could hear. I peered over the chair just as the woman; aged probably around 50 or so flipped Rian off and pulled away when the light turned green.

“Old cow,” Rian laughed and sped off after her. He changed lanes and over took her easily.

“What time is it Kara?” I asked again.

“About two minutes after last time you asked,” she answered.

The drive continued and as fast as Rian was driving was only topped by how fast my heart was racing. It wasn’t kissing Alex at midnight that was making me nervous. It was the possibility that I might not make it on time. not that he knows that I’m coming. What if he’s asleep? What if he’s not even home? I pulled my hands into the sleeves of my jacket and chewed on one of the cuffs.

What would my mum say if she caught me coming home? What if she realized I’m not there at home; that I had snuck out? Dammit it Jack. Does that even matter right now? Not at all.

“Time. Please. Kara,” I rested my chin on the back of her chair.

“um, just after five to,” she replied.

“We should be alright man,” Rian told me and I sat back.

“I hope you’re right,” I answered him; taking a deep breath.

Rian turned off the main street and onto Beaton not long after. He screeched to a halt outside Alex’s house and I threw off my seat belt, slid across the back seat and pushed the door open. I slammed it shut behind me.

“Thanks Rian!” I called as I took off across the front lawn.

“Good luck man!” he called back as he u-turned and took off back towards the party.

I slowed to a walk; my thoughts racing a miles a minute. What am I going to say? What am I going to do? What will he say to me?

I walked up the steps to the porch and cleared my throat. I adjusted my jacket and quickly ran a hand through my hair in an attempt to fix it or something. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I waited a few moments before knocking again. I heard footsteps on the other side of the door and before long the door opened a crack. Alex peered through the gap before opening it fully. He stood in pyjama pants and a massive white tshirt. His hair was kind of untidy and he looked at me with the most confused expression I have ever seen him wear.

“Jack; what are you....?” he started.

“Am I too late?” I asked him as I brushed past him and walked into the house; through to the living room. a blanket lay across one of the couches and the fireplace was lit.

I heard Alex shut the door behind us and I turned around to him.

“Too late for what?” Alex asked me; trying to catch my eye.

“For this,” I took a deep breath and took his face in my hands softly.

I leaned in and pressed my lips to his. Alex seemed shocked first but soon softened and kissed me back. He slowly moved his hands to my waist and pulled me into him. I kissed him with everything I had before pulling away slowly.

He smiled sweetly at me; his eyes still curious. I hugged him; holding him tightly against my body. The grandfather clock started to chime and I glanced up at it as it sounded twelve times.

I leaned down and whispered in his ear.

“Happy new year baby.”

Alex tightened his grip on my waist and I could practically feel that he was grinning. Nothing could ever, or would ever top the feeling I was feeling right now. I was in love and there is nothing that could possibly bring me down.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, can i first just say that i am so sorry that it has taken so long to update.
this chapter has been sitting half written for about a week but ive had people over my house since last wednesday so i havent had the chance to finish it.
It's a bit...eh.
but ill let you guys be the judge.
ill be sure to update again in the next few days...if not tomorrow.
comments please? :)