By the Light of the Northern Star

In My Place

We sat down and waited for the guys to start.

“Well our computer guy is leaving early. You’re gonna have to leave the tour so he can teach you everything so he can leave.”

“That’s all; I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Elise and I will miss you but we can do it.”

“Yeah Anna and I will be fine. I know you worry about us.” Elise said sitting in between them.

I went and sat on Héri’s lap as we made our plans. We were leaving tomorrow for the Faroe Islands.

“I’m gonna miss you Cane. Thanks for all the drinks and smiles.” I said hugging him.

“I’ll miss you too Anna. Here’s my number, don’t hesitate to call.”

I hugged him one more time.

“Jonne thanks for everything.” Elise said as we finished saying goodbyes to the Korpiklaani guys.

“Hey Gareth, I know we didn’t start off great but I’m glad to be your friend.” I said.

“You’re not bad yourself kid.”

“Kid, I’m older than you. You don’t look it.” He teased.

“Dani I’m so glad to have met you. Even though you’re a little short.” Elise said before she joined Anna to get on the plane.

“You’re just a giant. Don’t forget to call me.” He reminded as Elise walked aboard the plane.

“Come on Lee it’s gonna be so much fun.” I said grabbing her hand and running to our seats.

The plane took off and I was so excited. I have never been on a plane in my life.

“Anna what do you think it’s gonna be like?” Elise asked dreamily.

“Rolling green hills, snow when it’s cold enough, and tiny little villages. I can’t wait until we’re there.”

“Anna I have another question. Gunnar and I are so inseparable. Do you think it’s a little early to think about marriage?”

“It’s never too early to think about it. It’s too early to actually go through with it. It’s only been six months. He loves you and will wait until he thinks the time is right.”

“Thanks and I see these past three months you and Héri have been getting closer. Since you’ve been going out you seem like a happier person.”

“I guess because since my last break up I was just having a hard time adjusting after being hurt so bad. We know a lot about each other and I cannot wait until everyone is back from the tour and we can rest.” I said.

I laid my head back and fell asleep. This was going to be a long trip and I was already missing all the guys.

We finally reached the densely populated fishing port town of Runavik. It was so beautiful and I could not wait to get to our new house.

“Isn’t this exciting,” Elise exclaimed.

She was holding on to my arm for dear life.

“Yeah, but you’re kind of hurting my arm.”

“Sorry, sorry, I’m just so excited. This has been my lifelong dream. To live in the Faroe Islands.”

“Well good and I’m just as excited. Let’s wait for our luggage and then we can get out of this airport.”

We finally made it to the computer tech that was picking us up. We found out his name was Damien. He had curly black hair, brown eyes, and full cheeks.

We stepped out of the car to walk into the house. As we stepped inside, I could not believe my eyes.

“Welcome home ladies. Got put your stuff away and I’ll get started on teaching you the basics.”

We walked up the stairs to our rooms. There were signs on the wall mentioning whose room was whose.

Elise walked into her room and was awestruck. The only thing that had been set up was a bare bed. It was not the look of the room but the size. Elise had a lot of work to do to make her room a home.

Anna opened the door and was glad. It was not too small or too big. Good size for everything she had. The room would be done up beautifully when it was time to fully move in.

The girls made their descent down the stairs into a room with two computers.

“So now I’m gonna start you girls with simple things that everyone working with computers should know.” He said smiling.

After we had learned enough for the day, we had to go out and grab our things from the pods that were still outside. The movers for the furniture had come while we were learning. They moved it into the room and Damien helped us move our stuff to where we wanted. Far enough from the wall so we could paint tomorrow. After putting all the boxes in the room, the girls were exhausted.

“Elise this is the most I’ve ever worked.” Anna said sweating.

“I know at least for putting a room together. I think we should make something to eat.”

“Well I’m gonna take a shower in my own bathroom.” Anna said laughing.

“I should too. Meet you downstairs in an hour?”

“Yes,” Anna shook Elise’s hand and they went to their rooms.

Both girls could not believe how lucky they were. They had great boyfriends, a great job, and an interesting place to live.

It wound down to nighttime quickly. The girls ate, watched some television, and then went to bed. This day had been so exhausting but everyone went to bed with smiles on their faces.

Anna awoke the next morning forgetting where she was for just a moment. She looked out the window at the foggy morning. Summer was slowly fading into spring with the temperature a little cooler.

Elise woke up rested and was glad to look out her window at the water. It was fun to be in a new place that was not so hot like Florida. Finally glad to be in one of her favorite places.

The day consisted of getting paint and stuff for the room, learning some more about computing, and waiting for the painters to finish. It was easier to have someone else paint so they would have the day to learn and sometime to put their room together. Finally, the girls were settled in their new surrounding and were relieved to have the normalcy back.