By the Light of the Northern Star

Rock Band

The girls finished their training right on time and were waiting for the boys to come back home the next week.

“Anna do you want to go out tonight, I think we should go have fun.”

“Awesome I’ve been waiting to finish all this training so we could have some fun.”

“Meet at the stairs in an hour and a half?” Elise asked.

“That sounds excellent.” Anna agreed.

It was finally time to do something fun. Anna thought as she walked up the stairs. Elise was thinking that she could not wait until Gunnar was back. She missed him as Anna missed Héri. The girls needed something to get their minds off the boyfriends they missed so much.

When they got to the karaoke bar, we were ready to bring down the house. Once settled with a drink each it was time to go up and sing some songs. No one was singing and the girls decided to start it off.

Anna went first and sang “Better than Revenge” Taylor Swift. A fast girl power anthem they got people interested. While everyone started talking, Elise sang “Trust” by Megadeth. Anna figured a slow song would suck the people in. Elise and Anna sang a song together. They picked “Prayers” by In This Moment. It mixed the singing styles of both.

[Screaming parts in italics(Elise), Singing parts in normal font (Anna or Elise), Shared singing parts underlined]

Breathing in and breathing out
My head leaned back my hands are tied
I stand in here alone I scream questions why
Days slip by and nights I taste
These memories run through my veins
Injecting me with one last kiss screaming why

This medication can’t save me
And desperation takes a hold of me

I wanted to believe in all of this
I wanted to believe in you

Chorus:
All I am, all I have
Leads me down this roads again
Take my hand, show me the way
And never bring me back here


Determination is pushing me
And perseverance is what I bleed

I wanted to believe in all of this
I wanted to believe in you

Repeat Chorus

These are my unanswered prayers
The time has come for me to say goodbye
God please hear me, calling

Repeat Chorus

These are my unanswered prayers
The time has come for me to say goodbye
God please hear me, calling

When the girls were done, everyone was standing and clapping. The girls walked off the stage. More people signed up to sing after seeing how fun it was.

“Hello girls can I talk to you.” The owner said coming up to them.

“Yeah sure,” Elise answered.

“I was wondering if you both could come in and play some live music. Do you know how to play any instruments?”

“Yeah we both play guitar and I play an array of other instruments. I prefer to play guitar.” Elise answered.

Anna stayed quiet as Elise set everything up. She was still quite shy but on stage, it was a different feeling.

“If you can get some other musicians come back and I’ll set up some time you can both play.”

“They would be great,” Anna finally said.

They all shook on it and knew it would be time to start looking for some instrumentalists.

“Anna can you believe it. We have two jobs now. I never thought we would be doing something we love.”

“Yeah and cover songs would be the best bet. If you’re willing to play a small amount of pop songs it’ll work.” Anna offered.

“Deal,” they shook on it and decided to put some ads online and at music shops to find people.

They needed a drummer, bass player, and keyboardist, while the girls would play guitar and sing.

A week later they started interviewing some musicians. The drummers were either strung out and skinny, beat boxers, or used drum machines. Bass players were stiff, not up to par, or stark racists. Lastly the keyboard players were uninteresting to say the least.

“God Lee if one more person comes here and isn’t what were looking for I’m gonna scream.”

“Calm down Anna. I guarantee that the next people we play with will be great.”

We noticed there were three sisters that were trying out for each part… together.

The minute those three girls walked into the room Anna knew they looked the part. She was hoping they were good. Every girl had names from a King Diamond album. Abigail and Melissa were album names and Lucy was the main character in one of concept albums.

Abigail was a drummer with short brown hair and green eyes. Melissa had long black hair and brown eyes, and Lucy had medium length red hair with hazel eyes. We found out that Lucy was adopted and they all had different musical tastes. The minute we set up and started playing we were stunned and we knew we had finally found the people we were looking for.

“So are we in?” Abigail asked.

“Of course, you all are the only ones that had any talent and worked well with us.” Lee answered.

“So do any of you have nicknames that you like to go by?” Anna asked.

“Yeah Abby, Mel, and Lulu,” Lucy answered pointing to each sister.

“Great let’s get started with the set list and practice.” Lee finished.

We finally had our set list in the short span of an hour.

Set List

The Serpentine Offering by Dimmu Borgir
Prayers by In This Moment
Tommyknockers by Blind Guardian
Haunted by Taylor Swift
Paid in Full by Sonata Arctica

They had other bands playing every night so we only had time for a couple of songs. We would play Monday, Friday, and Saturday nights. We got to know our new band members and were glad that we found girls that complimented our sound and look.