Sequel: Going Down In History

Today In History

I Was Alone

It was Saturday afternoon and I was at home. Alone. Chris had dropped me off a couple of hours ago. The goodbye was a little weird, we exchanged phone numbers and that's when it became awkward, but we both got through it.

I was currently sitting on my couch watching some talk show. Now when I say watching, I really mean staring at the screen and not comprehending anything that is going on. I was way too distracted. Thoughts like 'Will he call me?' or 'Will Monday be really awkward?' passed through my head.

I decided that wallowing in my own doubt was a little too depressing for my taste. I got up and decided to take a walk, grabbing my jacket and Ipod on my way out. As I stepped into the cool Californian air, my phone buzzed. I quickly pulled it out of my pocket and checked it. It wasn't Chris, but another one of my teachers reminding me of a homework assignment that was due Monday. This might be a little harder than I anticipated.

I put my headphones in and started my walk. I really didn't know where I was going, but it felt nice. Taking turn after turn and walking through the roads lasted about two hours. That was two hours of me getting lost. I had no clue where I was.

I sat on a park bench and stared at the deserted playground that lay before me. You'd think kids would be here. Nope. It was completely empty, other than the couple that was walking their dog across the park. I sighed and stood up, getting ready for my walk back.

I got to the sidewalk and began my walk. A car stopped by me and I paid no attention. I had this bad feeling in my gut. A guy stepped out of the car and started walking towards me. I was bracing myself to run, but he stopped a few feet in front of me. Studying my movements, he was really starting to freak me out. He took a step toward me and I took a step back. He had this creepy smile on his face as he kept stepping toward me.

I was saved by the bell. The couple from earlier had started walking by and stopped by my side, giving the guy a warning look. The woman put her hand on my shoulder, but kept her eyes on the man.

"Is he bothering you Miss?" The guy from the couple asked. I nodded my head and stared at my shoes. I didn't want to see the man anymore. I heard a car door slam and his car speeding off and looked back up.

"You have to be careful Sweetie, Oakland is full of creeps." I nodded again, I was way too embarrassed to say anything. "Where do you live? We can give you a ride home if you'd like" I nodded again and told them my address. They walked me a few blocks away to their car and quietly drove me back to my house. And once again, I was alone.