Status: -[06/24/2011]- Currently being re-edited. (:

Only in the Moonlight Does This Feel Right

Chapter 22 - Fact

Quil and Embry panted for a few more seconds before Emily handed them each a glass of water. They downed it in one gulp and handed the empty cups back to her.

“Stay here, Jade, don’t leave the house.” Embry ordered.

I nodded. “I wasn’t planning on it,”

They both gave a small smile and nodded before running back out of the house.

God, please let them be safe… I pleaded with myself.

I stood up and then walked into the kitchen where Emily was washing the dishes. “Need help?” I asked.

“Sure,” She said. “I wash, you dry.”

I grabbed a dishtowel and then grabbed the glasses, plates, and utensils that were given to me, drying them completely before placing them where they needed to be. As soon as we were finished I grabbed a few cleaning wipes and began to wipe down the entire counter. I needed to do something that would take my mind off of Jake and the pack.

“I’m going to take a nap, call me if anything happens.” Emily said and walked up the staircase.

“Sure thing,” I replied.

A good hour and a half passed, and during that time I had vacuumed, moped, dusted, sprayed, vacuumed once again and then even moved the furniture around in the living room just to get my thoughts away from Blake and the fight.

“Jade!” Emily screamed.

I dropped the broom’s handle and raced upstairs. I knew I was going to regret it, I just knew it, but I didn’t really care right now. I wasn’t just going to let someone hurt Emily, not even if it was some blood-crazed vampire. I darted into her room and saw Johnny standing there with a smirk on his lips; he held Emily tightly, one of his hands covering her mouth that was letting out muffled screams while tears leaked from her brown eyes.

“Let her go, Johnny, she’s got nothing to do with this!” I yelled.

“That’s not the tone of voice you should be using when I have the upper hand here, Jade.” He chuckled to himself. “I could just let my hands slip and accidentally crack her neck.” I felt my eyes glare daggers into his very body. If only looks could kill, if only… “Just like I accidentally pulled the life support with your father.”

I lost it.

I ran at Johnny and he let go of Emily, shoving her to the side where she collided with a bookshelf. The impact had caused it to come right on top of her. “Emily!” I shouted in fear, but quickly let my attention go back to Johnny who I continuously swung harder at, trying to land punches.

Even though I knew he’d use his speed to his advantage and dodge or even block the attack, I had to try.

He chuckled to himself. “You know what, go ahead and land one. I’ll let you.”

I aimed right for his face and I hit him right on the nose. “Fuck!” I shouted and began to shake my now broken hand in pain.

Alright, I admit, not one of the smartest moves on my part…

He laughed at me and then punched me in the gut, I felt a few of my lower ribs break and tears immediately flowed out from my eyes in pain. He then grabbed me by my thighs and hoisted me up and onto his shoulder. I screamed when my rib cage collided hard with his shoulder.

He kicked the window, the glass shattering, and jumped through the hole. I whimpered when he collided with the floor because it caused his shoulder to go deeper into my torso.

He ran into the trees and I watched the house disappear within seconds. Please be okay, Emily. I thought hopefully. She, along with anyone else, never should’ve been brought into this; this was my burden to bear. I didn’t want anyone else close to me to be hurt… God forbid being killed.

My eyes began to droop and close slowly, and I soon blacked out from the excruciating pain.

-{}-

We chased Blake and then got him off the La Push lands, and he ran away like the coward he was onto the Cullen’s territory.

'Should we tell the Cullens to keep an eye out for him?' Seth asked.

'No, who cares about them.' Leah spat.

I had to agree with her though. Who cared about those bloodsuckers?

'Let’s go home now, come on.' Sam ordered.

We all began to run back to Sam’s in silence, our paws making the only sound as they crunched the leaves below.

'Should we’ve let them alone, Sam?' I questioned, beginning to become worried for our imprints that resided there.

'None of us smelled another vampire around, so I don’t think another one would just show up so quickly.' He replied, though I could feel that he in fact was now worried as well.

The pack reached Sam’s within a matter of minutes and everything was quiet. The stench of vampire stung our nostrils and sent all of us all growling angrily. Sam and I shifted, pulling our shorts up as we ran inside the house. No one was on the bottom and so we raced up the stairs.

We stopped in front of his room and saw the mess. His bed sheets were ripped and the pillows lost their stuffing. The picture frames were broken, glass on the floor, pictures scattered everywhere. The dresser drawers were on the floor, articles of clothes covering it completely.

“Emily!” Sam shouted and then jumped over the mess and towards the bookshelf that was on top of her.

I followed him and helped him pick the wooden piece of furniture up and off of her. He picked her up in his arms and laid her on the bed. He observed her bruises and looked pained and hurt; his eyes were misty with tears. He stood up after kissing her forehead and began to tremble with anger.

“Let’s go,” He growled. I nodded and we both bounded down the stairs and out the door. “Seth, Quil, stay here and make sure no more leeches come back.”

Seth and Quil walked towards the house on all fours and began to circle it defensively.

We changed back and then began to sniff the air for Jade’s scent. I smelled it, letting out a howl of anger, and began to race along with the others by my side, following their trail.

I never should have left her alone.

-{}-

I woke up and I was surrounded by darkness. I sat up quickly and winced, my ribs sending me back down. I whimpered in pain and felt more tears sting my eyes.

“You up now, Jade?” Blake’s voice echoed in the room and I saw the outline of a figure. I didn’t reply, in hopes that he would go away. No luck. “Don’t worry, I know you are.”

He walked closer to me and I could feel the cold radiating off his body. His cold touch sent shivers throughout my body and I let the arm he touched retract quickly.

“I’m sorry about, Johnny, I asked him not to be too rough on you.” He said.

“Like that makes it any better,” I mumbled.

“Well, I hoped it would.” By now my eyes had adjusted well enough to see parts of his face, and I saw his lips curve upwards slightly. “Now, you have two choices. You stay in here in the dark and eat, or you can come out of here, into the open, and eat. Your choice.”

I stared into his eyes and looked away. I didn’t know if I would be able to handle staying in the dark for much longer, it always made me feel like something bad would happen. Then again, I didn’t know how much worse this was gonna get so… “I wanna go out…” I muttered.

“Pardon?”

“I wanna go out,” I repeated.

“Sorry, my hearing’s a little off right now. What did you say?”

“I want to go out.” I said.

“Oh, alright,” He smiled and stood up. “What a nice surprise. Need help?” I put my hands onto the floor and then tried to push myself up. My hand that was broken hurt and I fell onto my back. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

He knelt down beside me and put me into his arms. He carried me carefully down the passageway and into a better lit room. There was a fire going on and two people surrounded it, one Johnny, and the other was unknown to me.

Blake sat me down next to the one I didn’t know and opposite of Johnny, and Blake then sat down next to me.

“Since we live in the forest, you get to have your choose of meat.” He smiled. “Would you rather dine on deer or bear?”

My stomach churned. “How about neither?”

“Never heard of that meat before, have you Mathias?” Blake questioned, acting like a total smartass.

“No, can’t say I have,” The guy next to me shrugged his shoulders, not really caring for the smartass remark. He looked at me and I took in his appearance. Blonde hair and entrancing green eyes, he was quite stunning and his vampire features had nothing to do with it. “I’m Mathias,” He stuck out his hand and I took it slowly, shaking it with caution. He smirked at this. “I’m not going to bite, I promise.”

Johnny groaned and stood up from the ground. “I’m getting something to eat,” He declared.

“I’m coming too,” Blake got up and then began to walk out with Johnny.

“So, you’re the infamous Jade.” Mathias chuckled.

“I guess… sadly,”

“Yea, I wouldn’t want to be in your position either,” He mumbled.

“I don’t know anyone who would,”

“You’re right, no one in their right mind would.” He sent me a kind smile.

“You’re different than them, why are you here?”

“With Blake?” He questioned and I nodded in response. “Well, I guess it’s hard to say. He’s like a brother to me. We’ve been together through it all.” He shrugged. “We were together when we went through the transformation. Leaving him… it doesn’t seem right.”

“So you’ve been with him since you both changed—how long ago was that anyways?”

“Yup, since 1693,” He looked at me and then the floor. “I don’t exactly agree with him and his… choices, but… I respect them. I probably wouldn’t even be here right now if it wasn’t for him.”

“What do you mean you don’t agree with his choices?”

“I try to drink the only amount of human blood I need to survive and keep myself strong. I hate killing people, it’s awful. I don’t agree with what he’s doing right now for instance, I never have and to be honest, it’s getting old. Decade after decade, he kept going after your ancestors and he’s still going. He’s like that damn Energizer Bunny for that battery.”

I laughed and then winced because of my shattered bones in my rib cage. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but someone as nice as you shouldn’t be with someone like Blake.”

“I get your reasoning,” He smiled. “I feel like I owe it to him though, he’s saved my life a few times and I help him with his less… bloody tasks.”

“I think you owe it to yourself though,” I said. “You owe it to yourself to start living your own life.”

He stayed quiet and then looked at me with a new found interest. “Get up,” he ordered. I looked at him funny, what did he mean by that? He stood up and then picked me up in both of his arms and carried me out the way Johnny and Blake went.

It lead to the outside world, and I saw that it was now dark, maybe midnight by the way the moon was centered in the black sky. The moon shone down on the land, the white light showing on the tops of the trees and everything else in sight.

He jumped off the mountainside and I squealed in surprise, clinging onto Mathias for dear life. He handed on his feet and then looked at me. “You okay?”

I gave a slight nod and then he nodded back before darting off into the trees. I watched everything whiz by me, the trees becoming nothing but a dark blur.

He ran for what seemed to be a few minutes, and then there was a growl. Six Kentucky Derby sized wolves surrounded us.

I saw the familiar russet coat and smiled. “Jake,” I said soflty.

Mathias set me down softly onto the ground and the others began to advance on him. I quickly stepped back towards Mathias and looked at them.

“Don’t,” I looked at each individual wolf before my eyes landed on Jake. “I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him. He’s cool.”

They backed up considerably, but still watched him carefully.

He chuckled. “Thanks,”

“Anytime, and thanks for getting me out of there,”

He walked by the wolves and then disappeared within a second’s notice. Jacob walked over to me and nudged my arm. I used my left arm, the one that didn’t have the broken hand, and patted his head softly.

He whimpered noticing that I was using my non-dominate hand, wondering what was wrong with my right.

“Broken hand,” I said. “And a few broken ribs, but nothing that won’t heal,”

He whimpered more and got low, signaling for me to get on his back. I put one leg over his body and then held on tightly to his fur, making sure to not pull to hard on it to hurt him.

He stood up completely and then began to run off, the rest of the pack following beside him.

It was a good thirty minutes before we reached the familiar home of Carlisle Cullen, and Edward walked out as soon as we arrived.

“What do I owe this pleasant surprise?” He joked, though the displeasure was obvious in his amber eyes.

“Um, I have a few broken bones, is Carlisle around?” I asked.

“Oh yes, come on in,” He nodded and motioned for me to come inside. I did as he said and I heard Jacob whimper. “She’ll be fine, just change and come back.”

He growled lowly but went back into the trees to change.

I walked inside and then was guided up the stairs and into the same room that I was in when I came before. Carlisle walked in a few seconds afterward with that warm smile of his on his lips.

“Hello Jade, so what seems to be the problem?”

“I have a few broken rips and I think my right hand is broken too,” I sighed. “I’m sorry for the trouble.”

“Don’t worry about it, anything to help.” He smiled and then walked over to me after washing his hands in a nearby sink. He laid me down and then inspected the areas needed.

Jake was now standing by my side, holding my left hand comfortingly, staring down at me with worry in his dark chocolate brown eyes.

Once Carlisle finished up, he left Jake and I to ourselves and he sat next to me in a chair.

“I’m so sorry that I wasn’t there to protect you, it’s all my fault.”

“Jacob, please don’t talk like that, it’s not your fault.” I insisted. “If anything it was my fault, I let Emily go off into her room by herself when I should’ve stayed with her.”

“Jade, he would’ve gotten you anyways, I should’ve stayed to protect you, you and Emily.” He mumbled.

“Jacob, I love you, and I know that you’d do anything and everything to protect me, but… you have to understand that there are going to be times that you can’t protect me from everything.”

He looked at me, almost like he felt betrayed. “Jade, I’m going to protect you the best I can from anyone or anything. That’s a promise that I’m going to keep.” He said.

“That’s all I want to hear, as long as I know that you’re trying to keep me safe, that’s all that matters to me.”

He sighed and buried his face into my hair. “I just don’t want to lose you,” He murmured.

“I don’t want to lose you either,” I replied.

He kissed me and I returned the gesture. I pulled away quickly, seeing as this wasn’t our home and I wanted to be respectful of that fact, and I squeezed his hand tightly.

“Thank you, for always being there for me.” I smiled.

“Anything for you,”

Soon, Chris arrived and Jacob helped me down and out the door, slipping me into his Rabbit’s passenger seat. Chris would be running alongside the car and Jake would drive me home.

Throughout the ride home, I was leaning on his shoulder, trying to relax and calm myself down.

I wanted to believe that Jacob would always save me and be there for me, and that he wouldn’t let anything happen to me. But I realized my mom was right… Jake wasn’t going to always be there for me, and he couldn’t save me all the time.

Blake would get me and suck me dry…

And that’s a fact.