Lost Souls

Seven.

I slept my headache away when I had come home that afternoon and as I got up, I check the time in my room. It was ten. Yawning, I stepped out of the room, in my pink, short pajama pants and white tank top. Walking downstairs bare footed I barely made it into the living room before getting pushed against the wall.

“Hello Rayna.”

I was staring into those icy blue eyes again. “Damon,” I said stiffly. He smiled.

“Wow, I think this is the first time you’ve ever called me by my name.”

“How did you get in here Salvatore?” I asked.

“Your mom let me in--by the way I can see where you get your good looks from. Then she and your father said that they were leaving for a while.”

“What did you do to my parents?” I demanded, anger pulsing through my veins. Damon stared at me and then stepped back.

“Nothing, I just suggested that they take the entire week off and go on a nice trip.”

I sighed in relief, my parents were my life; they were all I cared about. I walked past Damon, into the kitchen and grabbed a glass. Opening the fridge’s doors, I took out the ice tray and a can of Coke. Sitting down on one of the chairs behind the kitchen counter, I looked at Damon wearily.

“You want something to drink?” I asked and then added, “Besides blood?”

“Ah, guess you found out my deep dark secret. Aren’t you scared? Why aren’t you even trying to kill me?”

“Well, what part of ‘you’re a fucking vampire’ don’t you understand?” I asked him with a droll smile. “I’m piss scared and I ask of you, if you’re going to kill me, please do it painlessly and quickly as possible. I’m guessing you’re strong and I already know you’re fast so it’s easy to conclude that you can snap my neck in less than a second.” He laughed.

“Oh Rayna, Rayna, Rayna, why on Earth would I kill you?” he asked, taking my glass and drank from it. I blinked, taken back. He wasn’t here to kill me?

“Well—‘cause I know you’re a vampire? Or maybe out of pure fun? How the hell am I supposed to know?”

“I can’t kill you, you’re too much fun. Granted, I was going to drain you of blood and drop your body right there in the park just to piss off my brother.”

“How comforting,” I said drily. “So where’s your brother?”

“Who cares? You’re here, I’m here…let’s party,” he said and came up to me. I placed a hand on his chest and tried distancing myself from him.

“Why are you here?” I asked steadily. He sighed.

“See, there you go ruining what could’ve been fun.”

“Damon.”

“Fine,” he said and rolled his eyes, “Jeez, I think you’re just as bad as my brother. Ah, there’s a scary thought. Anyway, you see that nifty little trick you did, not being affected by my compulsion? Well, I want to know how you did it.”

“Really? Well that must suck.”

“Yeah? Imagine how it sucked that right after, I got this major headache, it was like a million daggers were just being thrown at my brain.”

“Ah, that probably hurt.”

Damon stared at me. “You’re not going to tell me are you?”

“Sorry, I just don’t get all warm and fuzzy at the prospect of sharing my feelings. But hey, maybe if you pull out some ice-cream and get a copy of The Note-Book we can paint each other’s nails and bond and shit.”

“Huh, being a smart ass becomes of you. It’s kind of hot. And, while we’re on the subject of sleepovers, maybe we can have a pillow fight and try out seven minutes in heaven?”

I rolled my eyes and walked back to the living room. “Get a life Damon.”

“You see, therein lies the problem. I was trying to get a life but then you gave me a headache.”

“Newsflash, all females will give you a headache.” I looked at him and sighed. “You really want to know?”

“Uh duh.”

“Fine,” I said and walked back into the living room and plopped down on the couch. Putting on the TV, I added. “But I’m sure you have a little sob story that you’d like to spill.”

“Not really.”

“Ah, too bad. Guess you’ll never know about me huh?” I got up and walked to the front door. “Now, get your ass out of here.”

“Fine, but Rayna, I have a week here, don’t think I can’t get into your house now.”

“The worst you can do is to kill me and then you still won’t know.”