We Come Out At Night 4

Chapter 7

-------------
Gates
-------------

Kristina slept most of the day and through out the night. The little cold she caught from being out in the storm the other night had kicked her ass hard. After making her some toast and a cup of tea, I walked back to the bedroom to see if she was awake yet.

“Feeling better?” Kristina was sitting up and leaning back against the headboard of the bed with pillows behind her.

“A little.”

I handed her the mug of tea and set the toast down in her lap. “Kristina, we have a conversation to finish and I think the sooner the better.”

She sipped her tea and looked down into the cup. “I don’t know where to even start. Is there even a point?”

I couldn’t even believe she asked me that question. “What do you mean is there even a point? Of course there is! The point is you and me.”

She set the cup of tea down on the end table and then placed the toast beside it before leaning back against the pillows and looking back at me. “The way I see it, there really is no you and me right now.”

Frustrated, I ran my hands through my hair and let out a huff. That wasn’t what I wanted to hear. “Is that how you really feel?” The anger in me was starting to build and it was hard for me to not lose it on her. “We had something good.”

“Key word being had, Brian. We had something good.” She was shaking her head and looking down at the blanket. “I can’t be in a relationship. I’m just not cut out to be someone’s girlfriend, let alone yours.”

This isn’t happening. This wasn’t the point of the conversation. It was supposed to bring us back together, not send us further apart. When I looked back at her, I couldn’t read the emotion on her face. “Why not?”

“Because I don’t know how to be anyone’s girlfriend. I’ve never been in a real relationship until you came along and it’s too hard.”

I grabbed her hand and held it in mine in a pleading gesture. “It doesn’t have to be hard.”

She wiped away the tears that had started to spill down her face. “I’m sorry, I just can’t do this. I can’t be with someone who is never going to accept who I am.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that I have changed so much for you that I don’t even know who I am anymore. You have me afraid to say things and do things because of what you will think of me.”

Did I really send her back to the place where she was when she got here? I made her feel worthless again and I had no idea that I was even doing it. “Kristina, I’m sorry.”

“Brian, you don’t understand that for a big part of my life, I was Ruby. There are things about that time of my life that are always going to be with me. Maybe that wasn’t the proudest time of my life, but there are things about Ruby that I’m not ashamed of. I can’t worry all the time if I kiss you a certain way you’re going to have the thought in your head that I’ve lost Kristina and reverted back. I can’t worry if I chose to walk around in my underwear if you are going to look at me and think there is something wrong with me.”

Everything she was saying was starting to hurt me as much as it was hurting her.
I let out a breath and watched her as she picked up the teacup and sipped from it.
“You sat me down the day I went after Shadows for having Marisol in the basement of the mansion and you told me that there were things that I wasn’t going to like, but had to accept about you. That makes you a hypocrite because you can’t accept that there are things about me that aren’t always going to be perfect.”

“That’s not true.” I could feel the water welling up in my eyes and hoped that she wouldn’t see.

“It is true. I can’t walk on eggshells for you Brian, I’m sorry.” It was over and as much as I didn’t want that fact to be true, I couldn’t do or say anything to change the way she felt. I didn’t want her to leave and honestly, if I could rewind the clock and do it all over again, I never would have judged her. I would be the one to change.

“Will you at least stay and come back to work for me?” I know I was grasping at straws, but I couldn’t handle her walking out on me again. I wanted her to stay, even if she refused to be with me.

“No.” She shook her head and that’s when I let the tears fall. I turned my head to the side so she couldn’t see my eyes. “I won’t stay here in your room. I will come back to work for you, but I want my own room.”

“Ok.” I nodded and wiped my face. I don’t know how I was going to manage to work with her and not be able to touch her or kiss her whenever I wanted to, but I was willing to take what ever she was willing to give. “I’m going to go to the gym for a while.” I got up off the bed and walked out of the room with out looking back at her.
Outside the door, I closed my eyes to the pain that hit me like a ton of bricks. I was going to have to call Christ and tell him to forget the plan to get even with Shadows. It wasn’t going to work without Kristina.

------------
The Rev
------------

London sat across from me at the breakfast table pushing her food around her plate with her fork. In some strange way, I felt like I was on a really bad first date and this was the awkward moment where we realize we have nothing in common. Only there was no friend to send me a phony emergency text to bail me out.

“Aren’t you hungry?”

“I’m full.” She spoke softly, so much so that I could hardly hear her.

“You’ve hardly eaten anything.”

“I’ve never really had a big appetite. Sorry.” Never once did she look up at me while she spoke.

She set her fork down on the table and brought her coffee cup to her lips. The gash on her bottom lip had scabbed over and started to heal. Just about all of her bruises had a yellowish glow. I hadn’t touched her since the night I cleaned up the wound on her lip, but it was easy to see that she was still scared. “Why don’t you clean up the dishes. When you’re done, you can go back to the room.”

“Ok.” She got up from the table and took our dishes back to the sink. Shadows was going to be here any minute. I grabbed another cup of coffee and went into the living room to wait for him.

He walked in not even five minutes after I sat down. I watched as he took a seat on the couch across from me. “What’s up?” I asked knowing by the way his face was set that this was going to be serious.

“Marco has been quiet and it is eating at me.”

“You think he’s up to something?”

“I’m almost sure of it and I need your help.”

“Ok, what do you need me to do?” I set the now empty coffee cup on the table and looked over at him. He leaned forward and clasped his hands together resting his arms on his lap.

“I need you to press London for information.”

“What sort?”

“I need to know everything there is to know about Marco’s place. Every room, every hidden space every nook and cranny. Where he goes during the day and what he does at night. I want to be able to set my watch by the time he takes a shit.”

When Shadows asked for help there was no such thing as a small favor. “I don’t know how much I’ll be able to get out of her. I don’t think she was around him long enough to know that much.” Then again I don’t know how long she was in Vegas before she came to The Sidewinder either.

“Find out what you can. I know he’s coming for Izzy again, I can feel it.”

“Ok.” I nodded and he got up and left. How in the hell was I supposed to get this girl to trust me? I had so much anger towards her that it was all I could do to contain myself the last few days.

Sighing, I got up off the couch and went back to the bedroom. I had expected to find London sitting on the bed, but she wasn’t there. The bathroom door was open and I walked over to the doorway and stood there. She was sitting in the bathtub with her arms wrapped around her bent knees and her head down on top of them.

I walked over to the tub and knelt down, but she didn’t lift her head. When I picked up the washcloth, I dipped it in the hot water and squeezed it over her back letting the water fall over her skin. London turned her head to the side and rested her cheek on her knees while looking at me teary eyed. “Where would you be right now if you were home in New York?” I asked as I ran the washcloth over her skin.

“Working.”

“What did you do there?”

“I worked at the diner as a waitress.” So, she was no stranger to taking orders. That was a plus.

“Must have sucked.” She closed her eyes when I squeezed the rag over her head and wet her hair. “Did you like it?”

“It paid the rent.”

After pouring some shampoo in my palm I soaped up her hair and again she closed her eyes. I had a girlfriend once who told me that her favorite part of going to the salon was getting her hair washed. I guess there was something about having your scalp massaged that was relaxing. “What are you? I mean, you and Marisol have the same father, but you don’t have the same skin tone.”

“My mother was from the Dominican Republic.”

“I see. So she was darker skinned?”

“She was, yes.” She must have got her looks from her mother. Her skin was as smooth as satin. I leaned her head back and turned on the faucet to rinse the shampoo out. It didn’t seem to bother her one bit that I was doing this to her either. I knew she wasn’t comfortable, but she was doing a pretty damn good job of not showing it.

After lifting her back up I picked up the bottle of conditioner and put it in her hair. “Must have been a culture shock when you came here.”

“I guess.”

I leaned her head back and rinsed out the conditioner. After lifting her back up I stood and grabbed a towel. When I held it open, she stood and let me wrap it around her.
“Go get dressed. Tonight, meet me in the dining room at 6 and don’t be late.”

She nodded and stepped out of the tub. When she walked past me, my eyes followed her out of the bathroom back into the bedroom. The questions about Marco would come at dinner. I had just tested her and although she answered my questions honestly, her answers were short and lacking details. Getting info out of her was going to be like pulling teeth.

----------------------
Later that night.
The Rev. Cont’d.
----------------------

It was 6:05pm when I heard the sound of heels clicking against the hardwood as they made their way down the hall to the dining room. I told London 6pm not 6:05pm, she was to meet me for dinner on my time not her time. I picked out something special for her to wear tonight. There was something about the way the color white looked against her skin that turned me on completely. Just as her wedding dress did the night we got married.

For my eyes only she wore white silk in the form of a very short slip dress with nothing underneath and not a single accessory other than her shoes. There is much to be said for the saying that “less is more.”

“You’re late.” I commented as I stood from my chair.

“Sorry,”she whispered as I pulled her chair out for her to sit.

When she sat down I leaned over the back of her chair and brought my face close to her ear. “Try the wine; I picked it out just for you.” Well, that wasn’t 100% true. I just grabbed the first bottle I found in the wine cellar. Her glass, however, had something extra. Back when the rule was that the new girls went through Gates first, he would slip something in their drink to loosen them up a little bit. Matter of fact, he even did it to Izzy. So, tonight, we’ll see just how well his little helper works.

I sat and watched as she brought the wineglass to her lips. We were soon joined by wait staff from downstairs. Dinner was just about to be served. I had them make a steak for me and roast chicken for London; both were served with roasted potatoes and string beans. Salad was served on the side.

“You didn’t drink much wine.” I noted.

“I don’t really care for wine.”

“Well, you’ll care for it tonight.” When I spoke there was a warning in my voice that suggested she had better finish that glass of wine.

For about 10 minutes we ate in silence, but I can’t stay quiet for long. “How long were you here, in Vegas, before you came to The Sidewinder?”

She turned and looked at me and I noticed she was trying really hard to maintain eye contact with me. I liked that. “Just under one month.”

“And where did you stay for just under one month.” I kept my eyes on the piece of meat that I was cutting while she responded.

“In a room at The Maker’s Marc.” After she answered she picked up the wine and drank from the glass. Now, she understands, do as I say and all will be fine.

“What can you tell me about The Maker’s Marc, London?”

I still hadn’t looked up from my plate. Hoping that she would take the bait and continue speaking. “That’s a pretty vague question; I’m not sure what kind of answer to give you.”

“Give me the right one!” I hissed.

She turned her eyes back to her own plate and although she tried to stop it, I could see her lip starting to quiver. “It’s a scary place at night. Not like here.” She whispered almost as if she was afraid that Marco himself was going to here her.

“How so?” I asked as I rested my hand on her leg just above her knee. She tried looking at me again, but her nerves were getting the better of her. I liked that she was nervous because it keeps her in check.

“It’s pretty sleazy after dark. The place is full of disgusting men and I don’t know what they do when they go in the back, but they don’t come out for hours.”

“And what does Marco do while these men are in the back.”

“The times that I saw him he was either in his office with a few of those men or playing poker. Sometimes he would just stay in one of the private rooms.”

I moved my hand up her thigh as she sipped from the glass of wine. “How many of those private rooms are there?”

She set the glass down on the table and looked back at me. “A lot. I wasn’t allowed in any of them, but they are all over the place. Marco even has one in his suite.”

“Really?” That’s exactly the info Shadows was looking for. “What does he use it for?”

I refilled her wine glass while waiting for her to respond. After setting the bottle down, I put my hand back on her thigh. “I don’t really know. He said he was expecting a special guest.” She shrugged as if what she said was no big deal, but it indeed was a very big deal. There was no doubt in my mind that the special guest was Izzy.

“Where in his suite is this room?”

“In his office behind the bookshelf.” She put her hand on my arm and swayed a little bit. “I feel strange.”

I knew my little cocktail had done its trick, but I wasn’t done with her yet. “Maybe you’ll feel better after you’ve had dessert. The waiters had removed our dinner dishes and replaced them with clear glasses holding chocolate mousse topped with whipped cream. “Try this.” I lifted a mousse filled spoon to her lips and she parted them taking the spoon into her mouth.

Her eyes closed in satisfaction as her tongue licked the remnants of mousse off her lips. “That’s good.”

I dipped the spoon back into the chocolate dessert and lifted it back to her lips. “How many men does Marco have working security at night?”

She swallowed and then looked at me. “ummm I think he has like 5 on each private floor, two outside his office and then the regular casino security.”

“You surprise me tonight, London…. want some more?” I asked her while teasing the spoon just before her lips.

“Yes.” She nodded and took the spoon into her mouth. Note to self: Self, girls dig chocolate mousse.

“What about the girls, London. How many and where are they situated?”

This time I set the spoon down on the table and used my finger to pick up the chocolate substance. “I don’t really know. I only saw maybe five or six and they all were usually in the lounge unless they had a customer.”

She closed her lips over my finger and took the chocolate off as I pulled it back out. “and where did they go when they had a customer?” I asked as I wiped the corner of her mouth with a napkin.

“The second floor.” I played with the thin strap on her shoulder while she sipped from a water glass. “Rev?”

“Yes.”

“I feel like I need to lay down.”

I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep her at this much longer. The effect that the drug had on her seemed to be the opposite of the effect it had on Izzy. It seemed to make London drowsy. “Go to bed then.”

She stood from the chair and I watched her long, lean legs as she strode down the hall to the bedroom. I still hadn’t figured out what to do with her yet. Time will tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Every been asked the question "If there was one person dead or alive that you could have sitting at your dinner table who would it be?" Mine would be The Rev for sure!