‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

Just A Pone Call Away

I was at the library in San Francisco again, sitting in the file room again. Tre had decided to drive down with me, along with Katie and Joey, while the others minded the house. As we waited for the librarian to come back with the file he had found, I couldn't keep still. Sure I was happy that my dad was finally going to be revealed to me, but I felt so shocked. Katie patted my arm and gave me a comforting smile.

'It's going to be okay Leslie. Just relax.' she murmured in the quiet of the room.

I nodded, but my nerves didn't go away. I almost jumped out of my skin when the door opened and the librarian came in, holding a folder in his hands.

'Alright Miss Jinx, here's the file I found.' he said, sitting opposite us and opening the folder.

I could feel myself shaking with nervous fright. I was surprised when it was Tre that took my hand and nodded at me confidently. I swallowed hard and looked back at the librarian. For the first time, I was going to find my father, the one man I had been looking for my whole life. The librarian pulled out a sheet of paper and nodded to himself.

'Here we are, Miss Leslie Georgiana Jinx, born August 1995 yes yes yes. . . Ah here we go. Mother is Juliet Jinx and the father is one Rowan Harrison.'

I wasn't sure how to react at all. Joey was the first one to speak.

'So, is there any way she can contact him?' he questioned.

'Yes, I looked up some contact details for Leslie.' The librarian gave us a seperate piece of paper, which had an address and two phone numbers on it. I tried not to break down into tears. Wether is was from happiness, I couldn't tell. We thanked the librarian and left.

The car ride back to Tre's house was silent and awkward, where I tried to convince myself that my dad really existed. I have a dad, I have a dad, a dad.

Katie gave me a very serious look as we walked back into the lounge room. Everyone jumped up as we walked back in. They all started asking questions at once.

'How did it go?'
'Did you find him?'
What's he like?'
'When are you gonna meet him?'

Katie shouted to get everyone to shut up.

'Look, Leslie needs some time alone to give her dad a call alright?' Katie nodded at me and led me into a back room. Tre handed me a phone and patted my hand.

'Good luck yeah?' he murmured, giving me his cheesy grin. I smiled back at him and started dialling my dad's number, reading it off the paper. Tre and Katie left the room. As the phone started ringing, Joey gave me a quick thumbs up and one of his cute smiles before leaving. I took a deep and nervous breath as I heard the phone being picked up on the opposite line.

'Hello, Rowan speaking?'

'Oh, uh, hi, my name is Leslie Jinx, and I have some serious questions to ask you.' I said, my voice coming out weak and high. Great, I try to make a first impression and I sound like a drowning cat!

'Wait a minute, did you say your name was Leslie Jinx?' Rowan questioned sharply.

'Yes, I think you knew my mum, Juliet Jinx. I think - I think we should get together and talk. You see, I - I never had a dad and you are the only clue that's come up.'

There was a small silence on the other line. Did I shock the poor guy? But I heard a small surprised laugh.

'So, you never had a dad? Has your mom - Juliet - ever - y'know - married or gotten a boyfriend?'

'Never.' I replied. 'And besides, you are listed down as my dad in my birth records.'

'Yeah I know that!' Rowan said, sounding a little breathless. 'I just - I just thought I would never hear from you again! You were only a baby the last time I saw you.'

'So - so do you - want to meet up - sometime soon?' I stuttered.

'Of course I do honey! Where were you thinking?' Rowan asked excitedly.

'I was thinking at 924 Gilman Street? My band is playing there tomorrow.'

'Wow, I still remember playing there as a kid. Never made it big though. I'll meet you there, alright?'

I told him what time we were playing and how we would identify each other. I hung up, and for the first time, I felt as though my life was really and truely complete.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe as per usual! I would like to thank Gryiffindor_GreenDay2 for spreading the word on my story! I would highly recommend looking at her stories and such as well!!
;)