‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

Sixteen Years

'Tre, why didn't you tell me this before?' I questioned after the small and shocked silence. I stood up, but I felt like I was going to fall down again. All this time, my dad was right in my face. And I didn't even know.

'I'm sorry Leslie. I didn't know that would seem so important.' Tre said, standing up and walking towards me, running a hand through his hair. 'All this time, I thought you were Rowan's kid. I never thought that I would get your mum pregnant.'

'But you still should have told me this.' I said, suddenly feeling furious. 'I've been searching for you my entire life. I knew you were alive and I knew my mum was lying. Why didn't you at least contact with me?'

'Well, Juliet and I didn't exchange phone numbers did we?' Tre retorted. 'She wanted nothing to do Rowan anymore, and we were all just friends when we left.'

'Why didn't you tell me earlier?' I yelled, my unexplained anger boiling. 'YOU could have FUCKING figured it out!'

'I was only about your age!' Tre yelled back at me. 'Give me a fucking break! I had no idea back then!'

'Well, how COME I figured it out in five seconds when it took YOU sixteen years?' I shot back at him.

'Because straight after you mom left I met Lisea and we had our first kid. I had moved on, because I thought I was never going to see Juliet again.' Tre explained, looking exasperated.

'God - just fuck you Tre, alright? I've been going through all this crap for sixteen years while you sailed on with life, becoming successful.' I fumed. Tre's face fell and he glared across the room at me angrily. I didn't even give a fuck about anything anymore. I brushed past him and headed upstairs loudly.

With no one around at that moment, and a sort of unknown force controlling my feet, I ran to the front door, grabbed Tre's jacket, which I knew from the times he had come over and I headed outside and slammed the door. I threw on the oversized leather jacket and headed past the gates and down the street.

I felt heartbroken beyond repair and furious. How dare he forget my mum and move on! It was in front of his fucking face! I kept repeating these angry thoughts as I blindly walked to nowhere.

As I walked, I found myself humming a familiar song lyric that seemed to fit with my situation

City of the dead
At the end of another lost highway
Signs misleading to nowhere . . .
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for sticking with the story so far, despite the delays. I wanted to aks you guys a very important question thats on my mind now, but I'll ask on the final chapter of this story!