Majesty Castle

Chapter 3

After dinner, the women were left at the table while the men headed to the library to smoke cigars and drink brandy. While the elders of the group remained on one side of the library, the younger generation kept to themselves on the other side.

Brian, the rogue of the younger set, sat in a chair by the fireplace with one leg over the arm. “So, your wife has come into her own as a woman hasn’t she?” His question to Matthew was more of a comment than a question.

“I hadn’t noticed,” Matt replied.

“Well, I have,” Brian winked.

Of the five grandsons, Brian had been the one to use his family status to get whatever he wanted. The complete opposite of Matthew, who had run from his family to lead the life he wanted instead of fulfilling his destiny. Females came to him by the dozens, as did many of the finer things that life had to offer. He was a carbon copy of his father, Nikki.

Like father, like son, Nikki never married, but had many female companions and he too often used his family name to get what he wanted out of life. Brian had made his thirst for Allegra known not only to Matthew, but to her as well. Although she spurned his advances, it didn’t deter him.

“My wife is a child of only 18,” Matthew noted.

“Her age makes her a woman.” Brian was quick with his reply and although Matthew hardly knew Allegra, he didn’t like the idea of Brian pursuing her. Since they were mere children, Brian always had to have everything Matthew had. It was pure jealousy. “You haven’t bedded her yet, have you?”

“That is no concern of yours.”

Brian sipped from his glass of brandy and smirked at the thought of Allegra being a virgin. “If you don’t like her, why should it bother you if I have her for an evening?” Matthew leaned forward and spoke in a hushed tone.

“Have you no respect for the sanctity of marriage?” To that, Brian laughed heartily.

“This coming from a man who abandoned his bride the morning after her wedding.”

Matthew had enough of the banter with Brian and walked passed Johnny and Zacky as he exited the library. Johnny placed his hand on Zacky’s shoulder and gave him a questioning glance, but Zacky just shrugged and they both turned to look at Brian who was eyeing them both over the rim of his glass. Some things, no matter how much time has passed, never change.