‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 25

---------
Gates
---------
“Kristina, we need to talk.” She watched me as I sat down on the bed beside her.

“Are you breaking up with me?”

“No.” I laughed lightly. I should have used a better choice of words than the standard break up line. “It’s the dog. I need a favor and if you love me it shouldn’t be a problem.” I was trying to be delicate, but I was really frustrated.

“You want me to give him back?” When she pouted I felt bad.

“No.” I shook my head and patted the puppy’s head. “It’s his name. Please, can you call him something else other than Bri-Bri?”

I was asking and I knew I wasn’t going to get the answer I was hoping for, but hell, I had to try anyway. “But I like Bri-Bri.”

Oh how she could make me melt with just one look and I knew I was looking at lifetime of ridicule if I didn’t convince her to change the dogs name. “I just think he doesn’t look like a Bri-Bri.” It was worth a shot.

She picked up the puppy and looked at his face. “What do you think he looks like?”

I leaned over and looked at the dog and back at her. “hmmm, I think he looks like a mattykins.” I’ll teach that son of a bitch to laugh at me.

“No, he doesn’t! He looks like a Bri-Bri.”

“Please, I’m begging you. Change his name, the guys are having a field day with it.”

She set the dog down on her lap and started petting him gently. “I don’t see what the big deal is. It’s just a name.”

“I know, but the guys are calling me Bri-Bri now.” Ok so I was sounding like a whiney little bitch right about now. She on the other hand was laughing at my pain.

“Well, then you should punch them!” I laughed so hard I almost fell backwards off the bed.

“Look, why don’t we come up with a name we can both agree on?”

“Ok.” She pouted again and folded her arms across her chest.

“How about Synner?” It was all I could come up with and she looked at me like I lost my mind.

“But that would mean he’s bad!”

“Hey!” I rested my head on her shoulder. “I’m not bad and I’m Synyster!” I think I was making some progress because she looked down at my face like she was about to give in. “You can call him Bri-Bri when you’re alone.” I offered hoping that would seal the deal.

“Ok.” She let out a defeated sigh. Victory is mine! I leaned up and kissed her on her cheek and picked up Synner. I took him over to his little dog bed and walked back over to Kristina. It was going to be an early night for both of us. I kept her in my arms for the rest of the night while she slept soundly. It took me a while to fall asleep as my mind kept focused on what was coming in the morning. Eventually, sleep did claim me.

--------------------------
The Following Day
--------------------------

It was time to put this motherfucker through the ultimate hell. I left Kristina with Christ who had promised to take her and Chelsea to the beach for the day. I wanted her to stay in a positive mood today, because at the end of the plan, I was going to need her happy face to make me smile.

I sat in the kitchen waiting with Kayla for the one person whom I saved for last. Kayla seemed a little uneasy knowing that this was the last day that I would be employing her services. She had no idea what today’s plan was. Usually, we give her instructions before we sent her down to the basement, but today she was as much a part of the surprise as she was part of the plan.

When the guest of honor arrived, I grabbed everything I needed to put an end to the hell that had befell the Sidewinder at the hands of Marco Montes.

Kayla walked down ahead of the two of us and with good reason. I wanted him to see her first. I wanted him to have one last look at her before we started. He sat up and watched as she walked to the center of the room, but glared at me when I stepped up behind her and put my arm around her waist. He looked at me like I had some nerve.

It wasn’t until the last person came into focus that Marco actually looked afraid. Vengeance stepped forward and stood on the other side of me. His face bore no emotion as he looked down at Marco. Marco on the other hand looked back at Vengeance clearly terrified.

“You.” Vengeance spoke with an even tone as he pointed at Marco. “You know what you did to me.”

Marco nodded. “Yes, but you lived.”

“True enough.” Vengeance agreed as he pulled his gun from his waist band. “But the person I loved more than life itself, wasn’t so lucky. You killed Sammy.” Marco watched intently while Vengeance placed a single bullet in his gun.

“What the fuck are you doing?” Marco asked nervously.

Vengeance never lifted his head, but he did lift his eyes to look over at Marco. “What the fuck does it look like? I’m putting a bullet in my gun.” He cocked his head to the side and looked over at me. “I think since Marco likes to gamble with people’s lives, we should play a little game of Russian roulette and see who wins.”

I nodded and looked over at Marco who was looking at Kayla. “I think life is all about choices, so maybe we should give him the choice.” I pulled out a knife from my pocket and held it in my hand while one arm still held Kayla at my side. “You see, Sammy died from a gun shot and Kristina, was stabbed in the stomach. So the way I see it, we should let him decide how Kayla pays for his mistakes.”

“That’s cruel.” Vengeance replied. “But I like that idea.”

Kayla was shaking now and honestly she was innocent and didn’t deserve this, but our girls were all innocent and undeserving of Marco’s wrath. “I don’t want to die, please let me go.” She begged and I almost let her leave, but that thought disappeared as fast as it came.

“What do you think Marco? How should sweet little Kayla die?” I asked him and he stood up from the floor forgetting the fact that his chain wasn’t long enough for him to reach us.

“Just let her go!” He yelled and Vengeance started laughing. While Marco watched, he raised the gun and aimed it at Kayla’s head. “LET HER GO!” He shouted again only fueling Vengeance even more. When he pulled the trigger, the gun didn’t fire.

“It must be her lucky day.” The bullet was still in the gun and he spun the cylinder around. Kayla now had a 2 in 5 chance of the gun firing the bullet after he pulled the trigger. Once again, he brought the gun back up to her head.

I wonder if she’ll be lucky a second time.” Sure enough, when he pulled the trigger, the bullet never fired out of the gun. Her chances of being shot were now 3 in 4. If I were a betting man, I would bet the next shot would be the one. I never liked Russian roulette, it takes too long.

“Please.” Kayla was pleading for her life on the verge of hysteria. “Let me go.”

“Come on! Don’t hurt her, she’s innocent.” Marco yelled at me as if it were he who had the gun to his head, but Vengeance and I both were unmoved.

I held up my knife so he could see it. “Kristina was innocent and you shoved a knife in her stomach.” My eyes locked on his as I held the blade of my knife to Kayla’s stomach. “I think it’s only fair that I return the favor.”

“No.” He shook his head in fear. “I’ll do what ever you want, just let her go. Kill me!” Now, there’s a thought. I nodded to Vengeance who walked over and unlocked the chain and removed the metal collar from his neck.

“You have no idea what you just asked for.” There was a hint of laughter in my voice now as I had finally accomplished what I set out to do. I shoved Kayla over to him and he grabbed her and pulled her close to him holding her tightly against his chest.
“If you’re not out of here in ten minutes, I’ll kill you both.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Amazon had a preview of the new A7X song up for a little while. They took the preview down, but the page is still there if you want to see it.
Nightmare