‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 38

------------
Shadows
-----------

I decided that since Izzy seemed so happy that we were having a date night, I would make it totally special and go all out for her. Come to think of it, I don’t think we’ve ever really had a date before. I think we just decided that we wanted to be together after the ordeal with Marco and so we were. So while she got ready, so did I.

I had called the kitchen and ordered something special to be made just for the two of us with a special dessert for afterwards. While Izzy was getting ready in our room, I got ready in the spare room. I finished getting dressed before she did opting for a laid back look with jeans and a black t-shirt. I liked keeping it simple with her. She never expected anything more.

So, now I wait for her to join me in the living room. The candles were lit and music played in the background. When I heard the sound of her heels clicking against the hardwood as she came down the hall, I turned around to see her make her entrance. She smiled as she stepped into the living room. She too kept it simple in just a light little black sundress with heels. There was no need to go out of our way to impress each other. We already knew we loved each other.

“Hey gorgeous.” I smiled and reached for her hand. She blushed at my compliment and I took her hand and walked her with me to the blanket that I had laid out in the middle of the living room. She stepped out of her heels before sitting down on the blanket.

“This is like a picnic.” She smiled and looked at the candles.

“Yep.” I nodded and took the lids off our entrees. “For tonight’s main course, pizza!”

Izzy laughed and I smiled back at her. I took a beer and poured it into a glass for her before handing it to her. “Beer and pizza.” She smiled at me and sipped her beer. “You’re a hopeless romantic.”

“Nothing but the best for my girl.” I winked and she leaned over and kissed my cheek.

“Thank you for this, Matt.”

“For what?”

“The date. It’s nice being with you like this.”

“I like this too. You think I got a shot at a second date?”

She laughed and took a bite of her pizza. “I think you have a pretty good chance.”

“Nice and I didn’t even have to impress you by taking my shirt off.”

I picked up my pizza and Izzy was watching me. “I never noticed how funny you are. I like it.” I had a mouthful of pizza so I couldn’t respond. Instead I leaned forward and kissed her cheek. We sat and ate and Izzy managed to finish her slice of pizza, which is probably the most I’d seen her eat in weeks. She sat with her legs stretched out in front of her with her glass of beer in her hand while I was working on my second slice.

“So, what’s after dinner?” She asked.

“Oh, I don’t know. I just thought we’d hang out and get to know each other better.”

“Ok. I’ll play along.” She smiled and looked at me with a shy smile. “So, Matt, what do you do for a living?”

I put my empty plate down and picked up my beer. This was going to be fun. “Well, I’m a singer in a band not to mention heartthrob extraordinaire.”

She laughed and I couldn’t help laugh with her. “A singer huh? Sing something for me!”

“Oh I don’t know about that. I’m shy.”

Izzy held her hand on her stomach and threw her head back and laughed.

“Please?”

I sighed. “Ok. You have to promise you wont laugh though. I don’t usually perform in such intimate settings.”

“I promise.”

I sat up straight and cleared my throat. “Ok ready?”

She nodded and I grabbed her hand. “There’s perfect harmony, in the rising and the falling of the sea. And as we sail along, I’ll never fail to be astounded by the things we’ll do for promises, and a song.” I reached for her hand and took it in mine and held it as I continued with the next verse. “We are the innocent, we are the damned, we were caught in the middle of the madness, hunted by the lion and the lamb.

She clapped lightly and smiled at me. “That was nice.”

I leaned back on my hands with my legs out stretched. “So, what do you do?”

She picked up her beer and took a sip from the glass. “Nothing special. I sing at a casino.”

I smiled and raised an eyebrow at her. “Well now, I think I deserve to hear you sing.”

She shook her head. “I don’t know, I’m used to singing in front of a group.”

“Come on, fair is fair.” She was laughing at me and I sat up straight in front of her while she mimicked me and cleared her throat.

“Ok, but you can’t make fun of me either.”

“I promise.”

“We bring you fantasy, we bring you pain, it’s your one great chance for a miracle, or we’ll disappear, never to be seen again.”

I took her hand and sang the chorus with her. “And all the fools sailed away, all the fools sailed away, sailed away.”

At the end of the last word, I leaned forward and kissed her. I could feel her lips smile against mine just before she kissed me back. “I don’t usually kiss on the first date.” She said as she pulled back from me.

“What a shame, you’re a great kisser.”

She laughed and took my face in her hands for one more long lingering kiss, but this time it was me who broke the kiss. “I almost forgot. We have dessert.” I stood up and walked into the kitchen leaving her there alone. For our first date, things were going better than I could have asked. I grabbed the special dessert and walked back to the blanket and sat down.

“I hope you like sundaes.” I smiled and set the two sundae cups down on the blanket.

“My favorite.” She put her hand over her heart and leaned her head on my shoulder. “Want my cherry?” She asked as she held it up to my lips. That statement could have been taken so many different ways.

“You have no idea.” I said and took the cherry into my mouth.

She grinned and looked up at me. “I love you. I don’t usually say that on a first date, but I do, I love you.”

“Well, that’s funny because I don’t usually say that on a first date either, but I love you too, darling.”

---------
Christ
---------

Things were getting stranger by the minute. The more I sat there with The Rev, the more this party seemed to disturb me. More for the fact that he knew what was going on, but I didn’t.

“Stand up.” Chelsea told me and I did as she asked. Her and London both stood on either side of me with a measuring tape and measured me like I was a mannequin about to be fitted for Macy’s window.

“What are you girls doing?” I asked, but they just giggled and walked away.

The rev was laughing at me as I sat back down. “Just go with it, they are just having some fun.”

“Yeah, well, I wish I knew what “it” was!” All I knew was that they had pink and purple decorations, my kitchen is no longer usable and maybe there’s going to be a cake.

“Who cares what “it” is? Do you see the smile on you girls face? What ever it is, that smile makes it all worth it. Just let them have their fun and go with it.”

I nodded. I guess he was right, but I still had a strange feeling about this.
♠ ♠ ♠
So the song Matt and Izzy were singing was "All The Fools Sailed Away" by Dio - Rest In Peace Ronnie. :(

I had originally picked a funnier song, but changed it upon the sad news of Ronnie's passing.