‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 42

----------
Gates
----------

It’s been two weeks since the wedding and things couldn’t be better. So much has changed since the first time I laid eyes on Kristina. She’s come a long way since the days that she went by the name of Ruby Tuesday. If I had been told ten years ago that I would be married and the father of a one-year-old baby girl, I would have laughed and shrugged it off…

Sure, it would have seemed odd to me back then, but now, it feels like life. My life, and I wouldn’t change a single thing. My apartment that once was a bachelor pad is now littered with toys and high-heeled designer shoes among other female touches. I love every bit of it.

Bet you’re wondering about the baby and how we only married two weeks ago and now have a one year old. Well, it’s simple. As you know, there was quite a bit of drama in all of our lives and most if not all, revolved around one person. As much as that person made our lives hell, he had done his damnedest to make amends with everyone one by one.

For Matt and Izzy, it was the car. For Mari and Zacky, it was her childhood home. For Jimmy and London, it was money that she flatly refused. As for Krissy and myself, our letter arrived the day we returned from our honeymoon. While Marco and Kayla were on their own honeymoon, they met a teenage girl pan handling on the street. She had a baby girl and just like Kristina, she was 15 at the age of her daughter’s birth. Kayla took pity on the girl and convinced Marco to help her. Marco found a foster home for her and offered to pay for her care until she turned 18. When that day came, she would have access to a trust fund that would help get her started in her life as an adult with the condition that she finish school and learn a skill that would allow her to continue to support herself on her own. In a way, he became her benefactor. He and Kayla also convinced the girl that it would be in her baby's best interest to allow her child to be raised in a home where she would have all the things a child needs in order to have a happy healthy life. The girl agreed to adoption without having to be asked twice.

Marco’s letter was a long lengthy apology to Kristina. The baby was his way of giving her back something she lost a long time ago because of his neglect. I knew we would have children of our own one-day, but I never expected to have one this soon. I honestly wasn’t sure I was ready, but once I saw her angelic little face, it washed away all my concerns. We brought her home to the rest of our family who had taken it upon themselves to make sure we had everything we needed for her when we returned. They got her everything from diapers to a crib.

Her name is Journey and we decided not to change it. It was fitting considering the journey life took us on to get to where we are today. She has the curliest head of black hair I have ever seen and when she giggles, my heart melts.

“You’re spoiling her,” Kristina stood in the doorway of the living room with her hands on her hips while I sat on the floor with Journey on my lap. I would have answered, but Journey had her fingers in my mouth. Kristina walked closer and bent down to pick up the baby. “It’s nap time.”

We had a nursery for Journey, but she napped in a playpen in our room. Kristina liked to watch her sleep and usually ended up napping with Journey. I walked into the bedroom and Kristina was already sleeping. When Journey saw me, she pulled her bottle out of her mouth and giggled. “Shhh,” I told her with one finger pressed to my lips. She just giggled again. I guess I was funny to her. “You’re going to get me in trouble,” I whispered. Journey sat up in the playpen and looked up at me. When she held up her arms, I couldn’t resist. I leaned over the playpen and picked her up. “I’ll bust you out of jail this time, but you owe me.” She giggled again and I carried her back to the living room so we wouldn’t wake Kristina.

---------
Christ
--------

Chelsea had fully moved in with me and everything was falling into place for us. She loved me and I loved her. Things had moved pretty fast for us and that fact did worry me a little bit at first, but we had all the time in the world to slow down.

“Well, I have good news and bad news,” I sat down on the couch beside her and she turned sideways and put her legs across my lap. “Which do you want first?”

“I guess the good.”

“Ok. The good news is we just hired two permanent bar tenders. You don’t have to work at the bar anymore.” I looked at her with a playful grin on my face and she smiled back at me.

“So, what’s the bad news?” She took my hands in hers and braced herself for the worst.

“The bad news is that there’s this girl that I absolutely adore and this morning before I left she forgot to tell me she loved me and now, I have an aching pain in my heart that just wont go away. I don’t think I’m gonna make it. I brought a hand up to my heart and faked a pained expression. “It hurts so bad.” I pouted. “Help me, Chelsea.”

She laughed and hit me on the shoulder with her hand. “You scared me!”

“Imagine how I feel! Oh my aching heart!” I gave her sad puppy dog eyes and she fell for it.

“Ok, fine! I love you!” She laughed.

“It’s a miracle! I’m healed!” I held my hands up in the air and looked at the ceiling. “Thank you, Jesus!” I shouted.

Chelsea was laughing hysterically now. “Cut it out!”

I laughed and leaned over to kiss her. Thankfully, she kissed me back and didn’t get mad that I played a trick on her. “I love you too, ya know.”

“I know,”she nodded and I picked her up and carried her back to the bedroom where we spent the rest of the afternoon. Just me and my girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. Was doing some much needed PC clean up.