Status: Active

When You're Around

Of Mice and Men

The morning came and someone was knocking on the door. I got out of my room completely disheveled and annoyed that no one had answered the bloody door.
“Oh no don’t stop banging each other to answer the damn door,” I mutter sarcastically.
What in god’s name was wrong with people in this house? And why the hell wouldn’t my damn brother answer the door he was around here somewhere wasn’t he? Grumpy and hardly presentable to the public I opened the door letting the bright sun rays blind my tired eyes.
“Are you just waking up Lou?” Martin questions entering the house wearing a nice dress shirt with dark wash jeans.
“Ugh its still morning though,” I groan shutting the door behind me.
“It’s two in the afternoon,” he points out.
“Fuck where does the day go?” I counter rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.
“Got the novel late last night, read the ending you came up with, damn good stuff Lou,” Martin states proudly.
“Thanks so did I forget to go somewhere today?” I respond lazily as I collapse on the couch.
“We got to head over and meet Quentin talk details on script and your movie role,” he says making himself at home sitting on the recliner.
“Uggghhhh” I groan at the mention of the movie role.
“Come on Lou it’ll be fun for you,” Martin urges.
“I’m no good in front of cameras, not to mention I’m not really in shape for this,” I respond looking at him.
“You deserve some fun and you’ll do great; you were born to play a badass,” he reassures.
“Its just nerve wrecking you know? I mean I’ve never been a movie before and I don’t want to fuck it up,” I sigh.
“Just don’t take it so seriously and don’t stress, Robert and Quentin is good at bringing out the best in people,” Martin states.
“Suppose you’re right, I’ll go get dressed,” I reply getting up from the couch still very tired from the long night of writing. I headed into my room and got dressed in an oversized ivory Bob Marley shirt that I created a corset lace up in the back with black ribbon then my black leather heeled boots and an ivory artist beanie to cover my wild hair I had no urge to fix. Then I did my makeup properly to look more put together and grabbed my purse to leave. Martin was waiting patiently in the living room watching the television.

An hour later we were with Quentin and Robert discussing the latest details of movies, stories and all that jazz. I was damn lucky that Quentin and Robert were so damn chill; honestly I think I could talk to them for hours. Both men were charismatic and passionate about their craft, making me feel drawn in like a moth to the flame so to speak.

“I think your phone is ringing,” Martin states as the sound of Carlos Santana playing the guitar fluttered into my cerebellum.
“Sorry,” I respond sheepishly as I took the phone out of my bag.
“Hey at least its good music,” Robert replies with a smile. I looked down at the phone screen recognizing the number.
“Hey Miguel,” I answer.
“Hey Lou, I called to warn you,” my cousin says.
“Warn me about what?” I respond suddenly confused.
“My ma and Tia Beatriz have created a line up of guys to approach you with the coming weeks,” Miguel states.
“A line up of how many?” I counter.
“I don’t know like 6 or 7,” he replies.
“They’ve lost their damn minds, take away their televisions I think they’ve watched one too many episodes of the Bachelor,” I state.
“Tell me about it, they saw you with that Viejo on the tele so they are trying to convince you to go for a young Latino,” Miguel replies loudly.
“¿Quién es ese viejo que está hablando? (Who is this old man you are talking about?)” I question in Spanish not knowing what the hell he was talking about.
“No se quien es (I don’t know who), they just say he’s too old for you,” he counters with a laugh.
“This isn’t funny Miguel, Tia Beatriz and tu mama are having strange men to approach me because your dumbass got married to a gringa and now they’re pulling this shit to keep the Mexican genes going,” I retort.
“Better you than me,” Miguel laughs.
“I have to go, if you find out when this shit is going down text me,” I say.
“Alright adios,” he replies.
“Bye,” I respond hanging up the cell phone. But not even thirty seconds after I got off the phone with Miguel it was ringing again but this time it was my aunt Beatriz. I let out a grunt of disapproval then gave my company apologetic looks before answering it.

“Oh mi nina how are you?” she exclaims nearly blowing out my eardrum as she always did. Bless her soul she seemed to think she had to yell in order for me to hear her on the cell phone.
“I’m good do you think I could call you back?” I reply now holding the phone at least four inches from my ear.
“Are you with Francisco?” my aunt asks.
“Francisco? Who’s Francisco?” I counter not knowing any Franciscos.
“He was supposed to call you,” she rambles.
“This is making absolutely no sense at the moment,” I respond completely flustered.
“He wants to meet you Tallulah; and he is so handsome more handsome than that viejo I saw you on the tele with,” my aunt states.
“¿Quién es ese viejo que está hablando? (Who is this old man you are talking about?)” I question in Spanish not knowing what the hell this woman was talking about.
“Necesitas un buen hombre joven mexicano (You need a nice young Mexican man),” she counters.
“I love you but you are completely loca, you and Tia Maria aren’t supposed to set me up with strange men, I can find strange men on my own,” I add.
“Pero-”
“Tia Beatriz I will call you later, pero por favor no mas hombres, uno esta bien but no more, I don’t even know if I have time for the one meeting,” I say calmly.
“I promise you’ll love Francisco, he even has his own business y el tienes nalgas como Christiano Ronaldo,” Tia Beatriz adds causing me to let out a laugh. My eyes fleeted to Robert who could hear my aunt quite clearly.
“Bye Tia,” I laugh. I got off the phone and Robert was caught in a fit of giggles whilst Martin and Quentin looked from him to me questioningly.
“Your family is very strict with you getting married to a Mexican man aren’t they?” Robert laughs.
“Oh lord, its just my diva aunts channeling their boredom on unsuspecting nieces who have yet to get married. They are completely unhinged; you should see what they do when I go to have dinner at their houses,” I rant shaking my head in a disapproving manner.
“That’s how it is in my family too,” he states with a big smile.
“I still go for the fresh tortillas and tamales though,” I admit with a chuckle.
“I haven’t had a decent tamale in a long time,” Robert says.
“Next time I have to go over for a get together, I’ll be sure to bring you with for the good food and boisterous family.”
“Alright sounds good,” he chuckles.
The rest of the time we spent talking about the movie and anything else important. Martin told me that I had to do a photo shoot and interview with GQ magazine but I just stared at him blankly.
“Uh why?” I respond elongating my words as I gave him a confused look.
“Promote your new book as well as the other ones that you are about to finish,” Martin answers as if it were obvious.
“But-” I started to say but cut off by Martin.
“They wanted to name you the hottest fiction writer for this issue.”
“What about Stephen King? I was sure he’d get that title,” I state jokingly earning a chuckle from Robert and Quentin.
“I can’t hold off all these interviews and you should interact with your fan base,” Martin states.
“Bah, I guess I had a good run not doing all the usual promotions,” I sigh.
“Considering the demand, yes, I do believe you have, soon you’ll have to do more when your non-fiction comes out on you and Belle’s summer tours,” he comments with a smile.
“Speaking of I’ve got maybe three chapters left on that one before I finish.”
“I swear you are going to OD on writing.”
“If that were true I would have died a long time ago,” I chuckle.

After the meeting I got a text message from Til asking if I would like to go out for drinks that night. I bit my bottom lip and entered my house to see Walt kicking out everyone but Belle for some odd reason.

“Hooker tell these fools that we need a night alone,” Walt orders. I looked at Rob and Johnny who both glared at Walt then to Jackson and Kellan. Damn the hot giant was here.

“Yeah yall need to leave, Belle and I haven’t had our fill of Walt’s rainbow love wand in a while,” I reply with a tired smile. Belle gave a chuckle of delight.
“That’s gross Lou,” Johnny says making a face.
“I can think of worse,” I state then looked at Kellan who was grinning ear to ear, “Who let Lenny from Of Mice and Men in the house?”
“Maybe you can be Curley’s Wife,” Kellan says surprising me with his knowledge of literature.
“Damn that means you’re gonna kill me,” I mock dramatically with a smile.
“On accident though,” he adds innocently.
“You’re good,” I say giving a laugh.
“So where’d you go Lou?” Belle questions.
“Oh, Martin and I had lunch with Robert and Quentin about the movie stuff then Martin told me I have to do this thing for GQ magazine,” I answer with a yawn.
“Holy shit you’re going to be in GQ?” Walt inquires excitedly.
“I guess,” I shrug not wanting to make a big deal out of it so that I didn’t freak myself out.
“That’s awesome for what?” Kellan asks.
“Uh promoting new books and all that,” I state.
“With a photoshoot?” Belle replies looking at me quizzically.
“Yeah,” I say ruffling my hair uncaringly.
“Moving on, you fools need to leave,” Walt says shooing the guys off.
“Good seeing you again Lou,” Kellan smiles. Rob glared at Kellan for some idiotic reason and I just didn’t care.
“Uh huh later giant,” I reply.
“Lou come on you can’t make us leave we are leaving tomorrow morning,” Johnny argues.
“You want some cheese with that whine?” I counter.
“You are on a roll today,” Walt laughs.
“Go to a strip club and try not to harpoon any whales,” I wave goodbye to my brother as I helped Walt shove him out the door.

Now it was time for Walt and Belle hour where we’d drink daiquiris and Walt would make us try on his most outrageous outfits. Although I was tired, I could never turn down a night with these two plus I had a viable reason to tell Til I was busy. I was going to have to keep that one on the down low with Walt and Belle because they’d flip if they knew I told them the vibes I was getting.
♠ ♠ ♠
So very sorry for the wait! Golly I didn't know it had been so long since the last update. Hopefully this one was worth the wait :) Feedback would be delightful!