‹ Prequel: Spirit
Sequel: Apparition
Status: Start Date: June 6. 2009. Finish Date: August 19, 2009

Phantom

Phone Call

Chapter 16: Phone Call
“We should probably go back to school shopping today since school starts next week. We procrastinate way too much,” I said with a laugh.
“Natalia, we aren’t going to school next week,” Nathan mumbled.
“Why not? Are we going on a trip?” I asked excitedly.
“Natalia, it’s time to leave. We can’t stay here any longer.” He said seriously and slowly. “We’re leaving tomorrow morning.”
“My family. My friends. I can’t just leave them, Nathan.”
“They aren’t in any danger as long as they are oblivious of our situation.”
“Can’t I just see them once more?” I begged.
“We’re putting them in danger with ever second that we stay in Washington.”
“Just a phone call,” I pleaded. “Please.”
He scrutinized my face and succumbed with a sigh.
I ran upstairs alone to my room and sat on my bed to make the first phone call.
“Hello?”
“Dad,” I sighed.
“Natalia, what’s wrong?” He panicked.
I took a deep breath to hide the hysteria. “Nothing’s wrong…. Dad, Nathan and I are going on a little trip. Don’t worry because we’re going to meet up with Keith and Sarah,” I lied.
“School starts in a week and we’re expecting you home on Monday.”
“I know but there’s nothing wrong with being a tad late to school, is there? Anyways, can I go?”
My dad was silent for a moment then sighed. “Go ahead. But stay safe. Remind Nathan that I can see him even though he can’t see me.”
“Dad,” I sighed. “Well, can you tell mom, Jayant, and Nicol that I love them?”
“Sure, honey.”
“Is Jon there? Can I speak to him?”
“Yeah,” my dad said handing the phone to Jon.
“Hi, Natalia,” he said quietly.
“Jonathon, I won’t be home for a while but I don’t want you to worry about me. I’ll be fine. I’m just going on a little… vacation, alright?”
“When are you coming back?”
“Soon.”
“I miss you.”
“I miss you, too,” I whispered. “Well, I got to go now. I love you.”
“Okay. I love you, too.”
“Goodbye, Jonathon.”
“See you later,” he said cheerfully and hung up the phone.
I shut my eyes tightly and wiped away the tears that escaped my eyes. I took a deep breath and got ready for my last phone call.
“What’s up, Natalia?” Lawren asked.
“Lawren, you’ll aways be my best friend. I want you to remember that.”
“And you’ll always be my best friend,” he chuckled. “Why’re you telling me this?”
“Just because,” I said and sniffled.
“Are you okay?”
“I’m fine. I’m just going to be gone for a while and I just wanted you to remember that there will always be a part of my heart that belongs to you.”
“You act like your going to die, Natalia,” he said with a nervous laugh.
“Can you tell Alex, Chloe, and Blaine goodbye for me?”
“Uhm… sure.”
“Goodbye, Lawren,” I whispered.
“Can you at least tell me what’s going on before you hang up?”
“Lawren, it’s nothing. Don’t worry.”
He sighed. “Okay. See you later.”
“Goodbye,” I repeated.
I hung up the phone and fell to my side as I cried.
Nathan walked into the room and sat beside me. “I’m sorry you had to do that,” he murmured and brushed the away the tears with his finger.
“Nathan, I’m scared.”
“Come here,” he said and pulled me into his arms. “Do you trust me?”
I nodded my head.
“Do you trust me enough to believe we’re going to be safe?”
“That depends on how long you think we’re going to be safe.”
He chuckled. “Go to sleep. I’ll pack our stuff.”
I nodded my head and laid my head on the pillow to at least try to go to sleep. With all the things running through my mind, I didn’t think it’d be possible but when Nathan finished packing and laid next to me I fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up by the engine of the car.
“What time is it?” I mumbled.
“Six in the morning,” Nathan responded.
“Why are we leaving so early?”
“Robert texted me. He said we had to leave early. The Vanburens are already on their way to Washington.”
I went completely silent as did my heart and breathing.
Nathan took my hand in his and squeezed it. “Don’t worry. Your family and friends are safe.”
“And who told you that? Robert?” I choked out. “You once told me that his visions were cloudy and most of the time unsure,” I cried.
“Roberts ghost family is the most respected ghosts of our time, Natalia. He’s trustworthy.”
I shut my eyes tightly and shook my head. “They’re already in Washington,” I mused.
“Where are we going?” I asked after a moment of silence.
“Our plane tickets are in that manila envelope.” He pointed them out with his chin.
I took the envelope that sat between us. I opened it and emptied out its contents onto my lap. Out fell two credit cards, two passports, and two plane tickets. I picked up the plane tickets.
“New Zealand?” I asked, surprised. “Why are we going there?”
“It was out of random choosing,” he explained.
“It’s so… far.” I took in a deep breath to restrain the tears.
I opened the first passport with Nathans’ picture in it.
“Peter Thomas,” I said to myself. I looked at Nathan. He did look like a Peter.
The next passport was mine. My name was “Penny Thomas”.
“Are we supposed to be siblings?” I asked Nathan.
He nodded his head. “We’re going to go live with our Aunt, Patricia Thomas.”
When we got to the airport was when the tears really started to pour out.
As we started to pull out our luggage from the trunk, Nathan and I received a text simply saying:
Hurry!!!
Nathan and I threw our luggage back into the car and rushed into the airport. We would go empty handed.
We looked at the flights. The plane to New Zealand was leaving in ten minutes.
We quickly got into the line for the New Zealand flight. As we waited for our turn, all attention was on me. I couldn’t stop sobbing. I felt like a child. Nathan rubbed my back and constantly reminded me that we were safe and I constantly apologized for making such a huge scene.
“We’re going to be fine,” I told myself under my breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Catalyst & The Incarnate: Phantom: Chapter 16: Phone Call.