‹ Prequel: Phantom
Sequel: Ghost
Status: Start Date: August 20, 2009. Finish Date: November 9, 2009

Apparition

Maddie

Chapter 2: Maddie
When we got back to school, Nathan and I were scared to encounter Maddie but at the same time we were trying to find her to see what she knows. We found her leaning against my locker, Nathan’s keys in her hand.
When she saw is coming toward her, she ran to us with a smile on her face. “You’re a ghost!” She said triumphantly with a smile on her face. She was pointing at Nathan.
Nathan opened his mouth but closed it. He chuckled nervously and shook his head. “What?” He asked, his voice high. “No.” His voice went low.
“Oh, don’t try to play that game! I know you are, Nathan. I saw you run off with Natalia on your back at lunch.”
“Well, let’s see, shall we?” He let go of my hand and walked over to the wall of lockers. He walked straight into them and bounced back. He faced Maddie and bent his arms out and grinned. “See.”
“Not those kind of ghosts!” She said and sighed. Maddie got closer to us and whispered, “Second hand ghosts… like me!” She pointed at her face.
“Wow,” I mouthed.
“You?” Nathan asked.
The bell rang to get to fifth period. In seconds the hallways were flooded with students.
“You know, it wouldn’t be such a good idea to discuss this in a hallway full of people,” Maddie said and smiled.
“Meet me at my car after school, alright?” Nathan said.
Maddie nodded her head and smiled. “Bye!” She skipped off to her next class.
“Nathan, your keys,” I reminded him.
Nathan groaned and ran after Maddie.
I laughed and walked off to science without Nathan.
Maddie was ahead of us. She was already waiting beside the car when school ended. She was picking at the snow sticking onto the window.
“Do you mind taking a ride with us to my house, Maddie?” Nathan asked.
“Sure, why not?”
I put the heater on at the fullest when we got into the car.
“This coldness is getting ridiculous,” I mumbled to myself.
“So where do you live?” Maddie asked. She was looking out the window as we passed the floating bridge.
“Mercer Island.”
“Why do you go to Roosevelt? It’s so far!”
“The only reason is because I never want to leave Natalia’s side,” he murmured and looked at me. I blushed.
“Aw. That’s so sweet,” Maddie said and sighed like she watching a romance movie.
We entered Nathan’s house and Maddie’s jaw dropped as she marveled over the inside of the house. She looked around the entrance, too afraid to touch anything. “This is beautiful!” She said while looking up at the large crystal chandelier. “What do your parents do?”
“My parents are business people but I don’t live with my parents. I live with the two members of my ghost family. You do know what that is, right?”
“Oh yeah, of course!” She responded. Maddie didn’t seem uneducated about ghosts.
“Nathan, is that you?” Keith called from the kitchen. “Can you come here and help me?”
“Coming!”
Maddie and I followed Nathan into the kitchen.
“Can you hold this bowl for me?” Keith asked Nathan. Keith was baking something and he needed help pouring the batter into a large pan.
“Why can’t you ask Sarah to help? She’s sitting right there,” he said and pointed to the red head laying on the couch.
“If you think I’d help then you don’t know me very well,” Sarah scoffed.
When Keith got all the batter into the pan and put it into the oven, he faced Maddie and I. “And who is this?”
“Keith, this is Maddie. Maddie, Keith,” Nathan introduced. “Maddie knows a thing or two about ghosts.”
“A thing or two? I am a ghost. I know plenty,” she said with a smile.
“That’s excellent!” Keith exclaimed. He took off his apron and washed his hands. “Take a seat, Maddie,” he said and gestured to the chair in front of the kitchen table.
“Where are the Scarborough’s?” I asked. The Scarborough’s were another ghost family. The mother of the Scarborough’s was Keith’s biological mother and Sarah’s adopted mother. Her name was Petronella but we called her Ella. Ella also adopted another child named Charlotte. Charlotte was a second hand ghost as well. She was also a part of the Scarborough family.
The Scarborough family had five people. The father, mother, and three kids. Two of them were twins named Luke and Lyle. The twins weren’t with us at the moment because they were back home with their family and because they had to get back to school. They would join us again in the summer.
“They went out for a drive around Seattle,” Keith responded.
“So Maddie, you go to school with Nathan and Natalia, am I right?” He asked.
She nodded her head with a smile.
“And you’re a ghost?”
She nodded her head again.
“Small world, isn’t it?” Nathan said and chuckled.
“Very small,” Keith agreed. “Do you happen to know… who your ghost family is?”
She nodded her head. “I met my ‘brother’ two years ago. His name is Anthony Johnson. He lives in Georgia. We still keep in contact with texting and e-mailing all the time.”
“Is it just you and Anthony or is there others?”
“There is most definitely others since I still have this empty feeling in me. Like I’m missing something… important.”
“You know, Maddie, Sarah is a tracker. She can find anyone you’re looking for.”
We all looked toward Sarah and waited for her to say something from the other side of the couch. Suddenly, she snored loudly. The snore was fake and it was obvious she was just trying to get out of it.
“She doesn’t seem too enthusiastic about helping me,” Maddie whispered.
“I’ll talk to her later,” Keith responded in a whisper.
“Thank you.”
“So, Maddie, who’s your mentor?” He asked.
“My uncle. He’s a ghost, too. He taught me all I need to know so I’m a fully matured ghost!” She said happily.
“That’s good!”
“So there’s just three in your family?” Maddie asked. “You, Nathan, and Sarah?”
“Actually, we all are,” Keith responded and looked at me.
Maddie‘s eyes widened. “Wait. So, Natalia, you’re a ghost, too?”
I grinned and nodded my head.
“Wow,” she said in surprise. “That’s so cool! So what’s your ‘mission’? What did your ghost need you to complete for them?”
“Well, we don’t know yet. All we know is that our ghosts have an enemy family. That family is a ghost as well. Have you ever heard of the Vanburens?”
Maddie’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped. “You are the Ashburton’s?”
“Yeah. But how do you know that?”
“My uncle met the Ashburton’s before you four! He was really close to them. The thing was that the past Ashburton’s had no idea what they had to complete so their task was never finished. They died in a surprise attack by one of the Vanburens.
“So you are the new generation,” Maddie mused. “That’s so cool! But I’m really sorry it had to be you four. From what I heard, the new generation of the Vanburen’s are stronger than ever. We need to watch each other’s backs because they could attack any day and take our powers or maybe even kill us. But it’s a good thing we have Robert to protect us, am I right?”
Keith chuckled. “So I guess we’re a famous family.”
“Yeah you are! But mostly because your hundreds years of incompletion of your task.”
“The task between the Ashburton’s and Vanburen’s will be completed while we’re still alive so you don’t have to worry.”
“I’m loving your motivation,” Maddie said. “Just out of curiosity, what’s your Singular Abilities? I know Sarah’s is tracking but how about the rest of you?”
“I’m an illusionist,” Keith said.
“I can emit coldness from my skin,” Nathan said.
“I can manipulate a person’s thoughts to make them do what I want them to.”
“That’s amazing! I can control air,” she chirped.
“Air?” I asked, confused.
She nodded her head once. “I can change the direction if wind and remove the air from a space. Not a big space though. Probably just the size of this room.”
“So basically, you’re an air bender,” Nathan said.
Maddie thought about it then nodded her head. “I guess you can say that. But it’s nothing big, actually. I can’t create tornado’s and stuff. I can just do subtle things.”
“Any ability is a great ability,” Keith told her.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Catalyst & The Incarnate: Apparition: Chapter 2: Maddie.