Sequel: Now I'm Haunted
Status: Working on it.

How to Save a Life While Messing With Fate...

Ch.9

NICK’S POV
I cannot believe that Staci is going to let me live with her! I am happy about spending so much time with her but I cannot help but feel like a burden on her…well I do not think she would have asked if she did not want me to stay. She is like an angel that fell from heaven; without her, I would be homeless or dead. I do not want to lose her in my life, she has helped me so much and I have unknown deep feelings for her. After I hugged her we both looked over to the 3 small size boxes that were mine and my only guitar that I have left, which I haven’t touched in forever.

“Well let’s take these boxes and your guitar; I’ll run into a store and you can wait in the cab, then we’ll go home.”- She smiled warmly. Home…that sounds nice. I nodded and picked up a box and my old guitar while Staci picked up the two smallest boxes. The ride to the store was fairly quiet, she got out and then come out with a small bag…then again the ride “home” was also quiet. I just did not know what to say, I am so grateful and that is what I want to say to her over and over again but I do not want to be a pest. We got out of the cab and she paid making me feel terrible that I cannot help her out. We got up to her…our place, she unlocked the door, and we walked in.
“Home sweet home. Nick are you ok, you‘ve been very quiet. Maybe since you have your things you should check your sugar, then we can take medicine and get you settled in.”- She said as she set my boxes and her things down then washed her hands.
“Alright, that’s a good idea. I feel ok; I am just shocked and grateful you offered me a place to stay. I mean you are not getting anything from me; I cannot even pay for a cab ride. I think I have a total of 15 dollars in my bank account and 3 dollars in my pocket. Wow, my sugar must be crazy because I was so happy when you said I could stay and now I am just being a pessimist. But I seriously don’t know what I ever did to deserve an angel in my life like you.”- I said as I opened a box hoping my meter was in it, thank god it was. Wait; did I really just call her an angel to her face?
“Did you call me an angel?”- She asked as shocked as I was.
“Umm yeah…sorry, my sugar is probably outrageous now.”- I blushed as I sat down ready to prick my finger.
“It’s fine, but Nick we have to have rules if we are going to make this work.”- She said as she squinted at my needle pen, I set it down so she could continue.
“I’m fine with any rules…I think”- I chucked.
“Well I hate to tell you but I’m a total germ freak. You probably noticed that I used hand sanitizer after I paid the cab each time that is because I hate touching money. It’s completely disgusting, so if your around me and you touch money please wash you hands or use hand sanitizer. Umm every time you come into my…our place please wash your hands. Oh and also after you use the bathroom or take out the trash wash them too, just in general be clean and tidy. I believe everything has it’s place and should always be in it’s place, and I guess just help me out if you can, the germ thing is the most important thing. I mean your nice so I do not need to say anything about that, and I will get you stuff to make the couch more comfortable for you. Sorry if I sound like a snooty person, I guess I’m a germ freak and a perfectionist.”- She blushed as I got up and washed my hand just following the rules.
“I’m perfectly fine with all of that, I am also a perfectionist. You should have seen my old closet; it was in all color order! I have small OCD things and it sounds like you do too. Thanks for saying I’m nice and you do not have to go and get me anything else because everything here will do…wait does the whole clean and tidy thing include taking daily showers?”- I joked, as she looked at me crazy. “Staci I’m kidding, I a very cleanly person so this is no problem for me.”- I laughed.
“Not funny! I’m glad you’re ok with that because I’d have to kick you out, just kidding…maybe.”- She giggled as I walked back to the table.
“Staci I do really want to thank you again. I guess you really are an angel to me.”- I smiled as I picked up the needle pen again.
“It’s really no problem and I’m far from an angel…does that hurt?”- She asked quietly.
“Eh I got used to it after all the years, and you should really look at yourself differently.”- I said as I pricked my finger, put a drop of blood on my meter, and waited for the results. Seeing as this is an old meter and I no longer have my omni pod this may take a minute.
“Thanks.”- She whispered as she watched me.
“Looks like I need insulin.”- I said looking down at the meter, and pulled out a shot and bottle from my small kit. Staci’s eyes grew wide as I did.
“Now that must hurt. Oh god I’m so rude, I’ll just leave you alone.”- She said as she went to walk out.
“Staci it’s ok, you’re curious not rude. I got used to this too; I guess your dad didn’t have to take shots?”- I said as she stopped at the walkway.
“No, he took oral medication for awhile but we change our lifestyle, exercised more and ate very healthy so he was able to get off all his meds.”- She said as she walked back in while I took my shot; I have done that in awhile, I had just given up on myself.
“Well he’s one of the few lucky ones.”- I said wishing I were like that. I hope someone finds a cure soon, and now I feel worse because I cannot help fund any research.
“Yea he really is. Wow we both are kind of down…let’s take medicine and do something!”- She smiled trying to bring light upon the dark subject. She opened the box of Dayquil and tossed me a pack.
“So what are we going to do, do you have to work or anything?”- I asked curious to see what she does. For living with someone, I do not really know her interests or what she does. At least I know she likes Stevie Wonder.
“Whatever you want, we can set up you spot by convert the living room to your room or we could go out…I don’t care. I don’t work on weekends mostly and I have to take tomorrow off…”- She trailed off.
“It’s not because of me right?”- I asked as she looked down.
“No Nick, it’s just Erin’s funeral is tomorrow and I need to go…I’m supposed to make a speech too but I don’t think I can.”- She sniffled.
“I think Erin would really love if you did, I can help you if you want.”- I suggested.
“Would you? I am such a downer and her mom wants something cheerful. Nick would it be to much to ask for you to come with me tomorrow?”- She asked shyly, she is too adorable.
“Of course I‘ll help and it‘s absolutely not too much to ask. I may not be a big help because I haven’t written anything in forever but I’ll try my best.”- I smirked.
“Really? (I nodded.) Thank you so much! I guess I will email my customer now and if you want you can help me and we can get to know each other a bit more. Do you want some coffee, water, milk, OJ, or diet soda?”- She said getting up.
“Do you have diet coke; if you do you are my new BFFL! That is my favorite drink! Working now sound good, what do you do for work?”- I laughed. I love my diet coke!
“That’s all I drink, no joke! I work as a Graphic Designer, but I work from home again from the fear of getting too close to someone. I’ve designed for a ton of websites and I was supposed to have something for my customer on Monday but I haven’t done anything, but I’m sure they’ll understand.”- She said walking to the fridge and grabbed two diet cokes. I feel really bad that because of her visions she has lived most of her life alone, I am surprised she is as open as she is.
“Thanks and that’s an interesting job, I guess you’re pretty creative.”- I said.
“I like the job, but what I really want to do is Fashion Design. If it didn’t deal with meeting people and all the social stuff I’d do it in a heartbeat, for now it’s just the impossible dream.”- She have smiled as she grabbed her laptop from the counter.
“Well like I said before I’ll help you overcome those visions and then you can live that possible dream! I’m sure you are amazing at it.”- I smiled as she emailed her customer.
“You know you are really too sweet to me.”- She grinned as she looked over her computer.
“Well I could say the same thing.”- I smiled slightly flirty; I am just a complete shock to myself today. Flirting? Really Nick?
“Alright smiley let’s work on that speech.”- She said as she moved to the chair next to me.
“Ha-ha smiley? Everyone has always told me I need to smile more…I guess it’s just a natural thing with you.”- I smiled bumping her arm. Who the hell am I, I did not ever think I would do this. I do not think I ever flirted this much with my ex!
“Oh really now? Well I hope that’s a good thing then.”- She smiled.
“Trust me it is…now down to business.”- I said raising one eyebrow at her; I can try to make this a happy thing for her. Her friend should be honored in a cheerful way.