Take a Sad Song and Make It Better

Chapter 43

Jade's POV

“Christmas, Christmas, Christmas!” Jack chanted, jumping up and down on the couch with a very annoyed looking Kaylie and Adam on the seat next to him, both rolling their eyes as they clung to one another. Melanie was no better with her third cup of chocolate finished off and laying tipped over on the floor beside her as she rolled around, her brother staring blankly at her.

“Aren't you going to try and at least contain her?” I asked, walking over to Matt and handing him his cup of coffee as he shook his head.

“There's really no point. Sugar in her system is almost as bad as alcohol.” I laughed, looking over at Rian and Kara snuggling next to each other on the floor in front of the couch.

“Don't worry ladies, I'm here!” The door flung open as Alex walked in, my sister and Zack following behind with Chinese take out cartons in their hands. “The party can begin.”

Matt rolled his eyes as he walked over to Bailey, taking the cartons of food out of her hands and putting them down on the coffee table. Bailey thanked him, walking over to where Zack had sat down on the couch, plopping next to him as he wrapped an arm around her waist. Jack had calmed down, as well as Melanie, both sitting on the floor next to Rian and Kara as they watched the movie on the television.

“Jack, why are we watching Home Alone...again?” Rian asked as he looked over at the beaming guitarist.

“Because.” Was all he said as he continued to watch the movie in front of him. Kara laughed as Rian rolled his eyes, looking over at the movie as well.

Turning my head, I watched as Alex made his way over to me, a smile growing on my face as well as his own. Wrapping his arms around my waist, Alex pulled me into his chest, mine going around his shoulders as he kissed my forehead.

“Hey, Jay Bird.” He muttered against my skin, a smile on his lips as he kissed my forehead.

“Hey, Gaskank.” I muttered against his neck with a smile on my face.

Groaning, Alex pulled back, “You know I hate when you call me that.”

“I know, but its so funny to make you angry.”

“You enjoy my frustration?!” Alex yelled, jumping away from me, pointing an accusing finger at my face.

“...Yes.” I admitted, kissing him quickly before walking away from him and toward the small makeshift tree in the corner of Aunt Clara's dinning room.

The group had decided that, since Bailey and I hadn't gotten to participate in a Lutherville Christmas with them, that we would celebrate one now in order to exchange gifts we had bought each other. We had all gotten together yesterday and decorated Aunt Clara's house. It now held thousands of strands of twinkling lights and pictures of elves, snowmen, and reindeer taped to miscellaneous places. Bailey had painted a Christmas tree, with some help form Jack, in the corner of our dining room which we all placed our gifts under to be opened today. Alex and Jack had found the mistletoe in a box that Kara had brought with her, and proceeded to follow various members of the group around with it held high over their heads. Needless to say, Alex hadn't left my side all day.

“You guys ready for gifts?” I yelled, eying the presents under the paper tree. There were yells of agreement before the sound of what seemed like a thousand feet making their way into the dining room.

“Give me my presents!” Jack yelled as he attacked the pile, pulling out two boxes, each with his name printed clearly on top. “Yes!” He exclaimed, plopping down on the ground and began tearing away the paper that Bailey and I had taken the time to wrap carefully.

“Bailey, here's my present!” Kaylie yelled, thrusting a box into my sister's hands. She smiled thankfully before locking it under her arm and pulling out another gift from under the pile, the wrapping falling off as a result of hasty packaging. Jack's eyes lit up at the sight of the gift in Bailey's hands though he said nothing, which led me to believe the present was his.

“Jay, here's mine.” Kara said, handing me a flat rectangular package that I could make out to be a picture frame.

After everyone had gotten their distinguished presents, we all sat down and began to open them, Jack making the rounds to scope out all the gifts everyone had received, seeing as he had already opened all of his.

I couldn't contain the small smile after every gift I opened. From Kaylie, I had received a braided bracelet with a small bird charm on it with various musical notes scattered throughout the blue and gray strings.

“I saw it and I immediately thought of you.” She had said as I pulled her into a hug.

Jack gave me a package of gum, which he immediately asked for a piece from before handing me another package that held a green t-shirt with the words 'All Time Low' scribbled on the front in Jack's messy handwriting. There was also a messy scribble near the hem of the shirt.

“You and Bailey are the first people with All Time Low shirts. Feel special.” He proudly remarked as I looked over at Bailey holding up a purple shirt with similar markings on it, a small smile on her face as she scanned it over. “And I signed it, so this will be worth millions in a couple years.”

As Jack's t-shirts was passed to each member of the band to sign, I opened Melanie's present. Inside was a roll of toilet paper, some silly string, a can of shaving cream, and a black bandana.

“For when we prank some bitches again.” Melanie winked, smiling at me as I examined her gift. I laughed and put it aside with the other gifts.

Next was Rian's. It was a plain box but inside was a t-shirt with a picture of a couple of zombies on the front with the words 'Dawn of the Dead' written around it. Jack screamed upon seeing the shirt and I dropped it back into the box, glaring over at Rian as he laughed.

“You know I hate that movie. When we watched it, I screamed and clutched onto Jack the entire time!” I said, watching as Rian shrugged.

“What kind of a friend would I be if I didn't bring that up and make fun of you for it?” He asked.

I smiled, “I'll most likely be wearing this to school tomorrow.”

Zack's present held a gray beanie inside that I immediately placed on my head before Alex pulled it off and shoved it over his own hair.

“Hey! Mine! Get your own, Alex!” I yelled, pulling the beanie off his head.

“Maybe I will...someday.” Alex muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.

Matt's present was, of course, a Mickey Mouse doll.

“Matt, your obsession with Mickey is creepy.” I remarked, but continued to hug the doll close to my chest.

“Fine, then I'll take my gift back.” He said, reaching for the doll.

“Back off, you pedophile!” I screamed at the top of my lungs as Matt jumped back, his eyes wide. Alex chuckled, wrapping an arm around my waist an kissing my temple as I melted into his touch.

“Mine next!” Kara squealed, thrusting her present into my hands. I smiled, peeling away the wrapping paper as the corner of a white picture frame peeped out. Tearing away the rest of the paper, my eyes settled on the faces of my friends.

The picture was taken a week before Bailey and I left for Essex. Everyone was smiling and settled on either the couch or the floor of Melanie and Matt's house. Melanie and Jack sat on the floor in front of Zack and Bailey's feet, the former pair throwing goofy grins and poking tongues into the picture, Jack's arm casually around Melanie's shoulders. Zack and Bailey were grinning, Zack's arm around my sister's waist as her head rested on his shoulder. Rian was kissing Kara's cheek on the floor next to Jack and Melanie, a smile on his girlfriend's face. Matt sat on the arm rest behind them as he smiled into the camera; the only normal pose amongst the group. Alex sat next to Matt, myself on his other side, sandwiching myself between him and my sister. Alex and I made disgusted faces as we looked down at Rian and Kara by our feet. Alex's arm was wrapped around my waist and, if you looked closely, you could see the faint blush on my cheeks.

As I scanned the photo, my eyes fell on something I had forgotten about. Though my sister and I weren't looking at each other, our hands were cupped around the others, which caused a grin to form on my lips as I held back the waterworks, not wanting to cry at the sentimental moment I had shared, and forgotten about, with my sister.

“Thanks Kara.” I grinned over at the brunette, giving her a huge hug as she shrugged off my gratitude.

“Don't mention it, Jay.”

“Jay Bird?” I looked to the right and saw Alex standing there, a small smile on his face as he held a small box in his hand. “My present next?”

“Yeah, sure.” I said, trying to reach for the box in his hand, but he wouldn't let go of it.

“Um, can we go to your room to open it?” He whispered and I could see the blush rising to his face. I nodded softly, allowing Alex to wrap his hand around mine before gently tugging me up the stairs to my room.

“Alex, here!” Jack yelled before a black object whipped into Alex's back. Upon further inspection it seemed to be Jack's wallet. “There's like, four condoms in there, dude. You should be good for a while.”

“What the fuck, dude!” Alex yelled, picking up the wallet and chucking it directly at Jack's face. I laughed as Alex quickly pulled me the rest of the way up the stairs and into my room. He shut the door and I made my way over to my bed, sitting down on the edge as Alex sat down next to me, intertwining our hands together once more.

“So..why did you have to give me my present in secret? Will it explode?” I asked sarcastically, looking over at Alex as he chuckled softly.

“Yes. I'm trying to blow you up, Jade. I want you dead.”

“See, I always knew you would turn into a psycho killer!” I joked, looking down at the box in his other hand.

“Yup, I just kept it hidden so my mom wouldn't know.” He laughed, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, we definitely don't want your mom to know that you killed your girlfriend for Christmas.”

Alex sighed exasperatedly, “I didn't bring you up here to talk about how I'm a psycho killer. And I also didn't come up here to do...what Jack expected us to be doing.” We both flushed, looking away from one another.

“So...” I started, clearing my throat awkwardly, “What did you bring me up here for?” I asked, glancing over at Alex as he fumbled with the box in his hand.

“Here.” He said, looking over at me as he handed me the box.

Smiling, I released my hand from his and slowly opened the box. Inside was a necklace with a red guitar pick on the end. I gasped softly, slowly pulling the necklace up and inspecting the guitar pick. Looking directly at it, I saw a small bird with musical notes coming out of its mouth.

“Flip it over.” Alex whispered and I quickly did as he told. On the back, in small white letters, were the words ' Jay Bird', written in a steady hand. Looking back up at Alex, he had a small smile on his face. “Do you like it?” He asked nervously, looking between my eyes as he softly bit his bottom lip.

“Alex, I love it.” I whispered, pulling him into a hug. I could feel him smiling against my cheek as he kissed my shoulder softly before pulling away.

“You know, I got it for you so you could fulfill the other end of your deal.”

I raised an eyebrow, “What deal?”

Alex laughed softly, “I figured you'd forget.” He muttered, looking over at me as I gave him an expectant look, “Fine. Remember when I played Lullabies for you that night at your first All Time Low show?” I nodded, “Well, you promised that night that one day you would play for me, which you still haven't done. So, I'm hoping with this present,” He pointed to the necklace in my hand, “that you'll finally play for me.” I grinned, getting up from my spot on the bed and walking toward my closet where I pulled out my acoustic guitar.

“I have to warn you,” I began, unclasping the necklace and pulling the pick off the chain, “I haven't played in a long time.” Alex laughed and I sat down next to him, crossing my legs over the other in the classic Indian style, my guitar resting in my lap as I pulled the strap over my shoulders. “Do you have a preference in what I play?” I asked, looking up at Alex, a grin on his face.

“Nope,” He said, “just play your little heart out.” I grinned, nodding and racking my head for a song to play.

“Okay, I got one.” I finally said, positioning my fingers just right, before beginning to strum the strings.

Hey Jude don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

Hey Jude don't be afraid
You were made to go out and get her
The minute you let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it better


I looked up at Alex, watching as his smile widened, opening his mouth and humming along with the familiar tune.

And any time you feel the pain, Hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder


Alex joined in, singing the song with me as I continued to strum the guitar.

Da da da da da
da da da da


I smiled, looking back up at Alex as he grinned back, continuing to sing with me.

Hey Jude don't let me down
You have found her now go and get her
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

So let it out and let it in
Hey Jude begin
You're waiting for someone to perform with
And don't you know that it's just you
Hey Jude--


I was suddenly cut off as Alex's lips were on mine, my hands falling from the guitar as I wrapped them around his neck and melting into the kiss. His fingers tangled in my hair, running through the tangles that, in that moment, I had remembered to brush through. As our mouths moved together, I couldn't help but let this feeling come over me that made we want to thank his parents with every fiber of my being for this boy. Alex briefly pulled away from me, lifting the guitar strap over my shoulders. I could hear the guitar thump lightly as it hit the ground but I didn't really care in that moment. He attached his lips back to mine, timidly pushing me back until I felt the scratch of the bed spread beneath me. Alex's body hovering over mine reminded me of how much this boy had protected me in the time I had lived in Lutherville and I couldn't help the small smile on my lips. My hands ran down his arms, feeling Alex's body shiver lightly, the pressure of his lips on mine increasing somewhat. I could feel him smile against my lips as he ran his right hand over my side, the other next to my head as he propped himself up. Even though the t-shirt I was wearing separated his hand from my skin, my whole side burned with a feeling I couldn't quite place. Running my fingers through his hair, I pulled him slightly closer to me that Alex didn't hesitate to accommodate to.

The knocking on the door just had to ruin it all.

“Um, hey, I don't mean to, um, ruin whatever you guys are doing,” Rian's voice came from behind the door, the awkwardness flowing in every word. He knew what we were doing, “but Jack and Melanie wanna sing Christmas carols and Bailey said you, uh, had a guitar up here?”

I sighed, “Yeah, we'll be down in a minute.” I shouted, waiting for the sound of footsteps before pulling Alex's lips back on mine.

After a few more seconds of kissing, Alex reluctantly pulled away, a small groan coming from his lips.

“I guess we better go, huh?” Alex sighed, falling next to me on the bed and turning to look over at me.

I nodded, “Remind me to kill Jack and Melanie?”

Alex scoffed, “They're pretty much already dead, Jay.”

We climbed off the bed, I grabbed my guitar and we walked downstairs, attaching our hands as we went.

When we saw Jack sitting on the couch, Alex threw the guitar in his hands. “You're a dead man Barakat.” He sneered, sitting down on the couch and pulled my body into his lap.

As Jack played I turned to Alex, smiling over at him,“I'm guessing you really like that song?” I whispered, a small laugh emitting from my mouth.

Alex laughed as well, “I have a totally different perspective and love for The Beatles now.” He admitted as we both laughed, Alex leaning in for another kiss, the smile never leaving our faces.
♠ ♠ ♠
FILLER! Yupp...that's what this is :)

So...hope you all had an awesome Thanksgiving and all that shizz. Right after Thanksgiving ended I stocked up on my Christmas songs once again. I've been listening to The Maine's Christmas album religiously along with Yule Shoot Your Eye Out by Fall Out Boy and a couple A Rocket to the Moon christmas songs.

But I don't have any more. Suggestions?

Fun Fact
Okay, I'll confess. ONe of the main reasons Emily and I kinda decided on Jade and Bailey leaving was so we didn't have to think out Christmas presents for all the group because that would be super confusing, but, as you can see, we did it anyways. Oops.

Hope you guys enjoyed a little Jade and Alex action (I realized that if we combined Jade and Alex's names, you still get Jalex...?)

OH! BIg news! I auditioned a couple weeks ago for my high school's musical. This year its a play called Anything Goes (wiki that shit!) and last monday we got the cast list and I play Hope who is basically the pinacle of everyone's affection and I sing three songs and I have to kiss boys! I'm excited.

OKay! Comment! Subscribe!

Emily, If you're reading this, go online so we can start our writing splooge so we can plan SEQUEL stuff. I did this to mess with you guys muhahaha

-Livvy and Emily <3