Take a Sad Song and Make It Better

Chapter 8

Bailey's POV

“Well good morning Sleepyhead,” Jade said amused when I walked in the kitchen. She was sitting at the table in a baggy sweat shirt and big grey sweatpants which were tucked in to her socks. Her feet were lazily propped up on the back of the neighboring chair and she had her phone in her lap, probably texting Melanie. I gave her a very strange look.

I was usually the one to wake up first and Jade usually woke up late, but today our rolls changed. I shrugged off the oddness and went over to the fridge and got myself a glass of orange juice before pushing Jade’s feet off the chair to sit down.

Jade looked over at me and gave me weird look. “Nice bra.”

I looked down and noticed my tank top was completely see-through so she could see my purple lace. I scoffed back, “Nice hair.”

She reached up and touched the top of her head and tried to mat down her bed head that was tangled everywhere. “Nice boxers.”

I smoothed out my boxer shorts self-consciously. “Nice socks.”

Jade glared at me about the pants in the socks comment. “Nice--”

“Good morning Bailey,” Clara said happily as she walked in the kitchen, interrupting Jade’s comeback.

“Morning,” I said back sleepily.

“I made Jade scrambled eggs, would you like some?” Clara asked as she turned her back to us to start lighting the stove burner.

I looked over at Jade. She was flailing her hands with her eyes wide and mouthing the “NO!” frantically.

I tried to hide my chuckle while Jade made the action of sticking her finger in her mouth and pretending to throw up. “Um actually, I’m good Clara. I’m in the mood for some Cheerios. But thanks.”

“Suit yourself. I’m off to work, have a good day, ladies!” We both mumbled goodbyes as she walked out.

“So what are we going to do today?” I asked as I got up to make myself a bowl of cheerios, only to find it empty when I tried pouring it out. I rolled my eyes and threw the box in the recycling.

“I’m not sure. I’m texting Alex right now. Do you want me to tell him to invite everyone over to hang?”

After rummaging through the cupboard, I luckily found a box of Raisin Bran. “Yeah, that sounds great,” I said sidetracked as I looked at the back of the box. “Don’t we have anything in this house that is actually edible and isn’t expired or molding?!”

Jade laughed and snatched the box from my hand and smelled the inside. “Sick.” She tossed the box in the garbage and it landed right on top of her scrambled eggs from earlier. “I’m hungry too. Let’s go out and get something,” Jade offered.

===========

“Wow, that was totally not worth it,” Jade grumbled as we walked down the sidewalk back to our house. I had to agree with her. We walked for over an hour to Denny’s, which was delicious, but then we had to walk back and we got lost, so over all the trip was almost four hours and it was pretty lunch time now.

I bent down to awkwardly scratch my leg as we walked up our steep driveway. “Uh. Why is there a strange man sitting on our porch?”

I looked up and saw a familiar boy resting his head against the porch column. “Zack?”

“That’s Zack?” Jade squinted and then realized I was right, smiled and then quickened her pace to keep up with me.

“Zack?” I said louder. This time he heard me and lifted his head to see who called his name.

“Hey Bailey, hey Jade,” he said smiling.

“Hey Zack!” Jade took the liberty to greet him. “No offense, but why are you here?”

I rolled my eyes at my sister’s frankness and opened the door for all of us.

“Um actually,” Zack awkwardly patted his palms on his thighs. “I was here for Bailey.” Jade made an ‘o’ with her mouth and unzipped her hoodie she had on. “I was out on a run and I went past the sidewalk where,” he glanced at Jade hesitantly. “…You know. Anyways, and I thought to myself that I should come see what you were up to. Like, if you wanted to run together maybe?”

I smiled touchingly, on the inside though because I didn’t want him to think I was laughing at him, because he seemed so tense. “Yeah, that sounds fun. Let me go change quick,” I said before running to my room and yanking off my capris and v-neck and whipping on running shorts, a sports bra and a tank.

“Ready,” I said bouncing down the stairs and yelled to my sister, wherever she was, “Jade, I’m going for a run. Bye!”

==========

“So, when did you start running?” Zack asked casually as we ran.

“I don’t really know. Probably when I started track in middle school, that’s when I realized I liked it. Other times it was just at practice for other sports.”

“You’re on the track team?”

“Well in spring I’ll sign up probably. I was at my old school…Are you?”

“Nah. I just work-out. No team stuff; I’m not good at those things.”

We stopped at a cross walk to wait for the light to show us we could go. “What do you mean you don’t like team stuff?”

We started running again. “It’s kinda hard to explain. I just don’t like being on teams with people. I like doing my own thing.”

We ran in silence for a bit while I thought about what he had just said. “You know, I guess that makes sense.” Zack stayed quiet so I continued. “You seem kind of reserved, no offense.” I didn’t mean it in a bad way, mostly because I was quiet too. Maybe that’s why I clicked so well with Zack.

We ran in silence for a while longer and during it I took in my surroundings. Not only was I trying to remember and recognize landmarks for future reference, I admired the scenery. That was one thing I like about Lutherville; it was really pretty and everyone seemed considerably nice, which was probably one of the few things I appreciated here.

“Can I ask you something?” Zack asked nervously.

“Shoot.”

“Well, you and your sister are like, totally different.” That wasn’t really a question. “You’re kind of shy and then Jade, she’s pretty much as confident as one could get.” What was he getting at? “And I didn’t think that you were very timid when I met you, besides the distress in the beginning. I thought you were totally funny and enchanting when you were with me. But then when we hung out with everyone, it was like you were scared of all of them?”

“I’m not scared of them,” I asked more than said, a little offended. “I guess I was scared the first day, but not of them. You guys are all really nice and I like hanging around you all.” I finished, hoping I answered his “question”.

“I guess. But you seemed so shy. But then I saw you this morning, when you were with Jade, and you didn’t seem so different from what I pegged you before. You were totally cool with her.”

“I don’t really get what you’re saying,” I said coldly. Why was he judging me? He had no right to; we met less than 24 hours ago.

“I’m just trying to figure you out. And I’m having a hard time.” I rolled my eyes silently. I understood what he was trying to say; he met me while I was bawling and then we had a blast together and then later we hung out with other people and I acted as if nothing had happened. I guess it was instinct, I always try to put away what I was feeling because no one else needed to know. And he didn’t need to know either.

I was having trouble on what to say to him, so I shot back. “Well it’s not like you are the same person with your friends either.”

“What do you mean?” Now it was his turn to sound insulted. This was definitely not a conversation for two people who barely knew each other to have.

I took a heavy breath while jogging before I spoke, “You were really nice and funny too and then you just acted like a push over with your friends. You just did what they did and got quiet.”

After we had run in silence for five minutes at least, Zack spoke up. “I guess you’re right. I think it’s just my nature.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I ridiculed.

“It’s my nature. You know, like what you’re doing right now? You get all…hostile whenever someone tries to get to know you. That’s your nature.”

I heard a smirk in his voice as he said that. Maybe because his tone was so clever, it made me break a smile, but I was still irritated that he thought he could say that to me.

“And,” he added smiling. “You think whatever you are scared of is nobodies business.”

“I’m not scared.”

“Well whatever you want to call it.”

“It’s my nature.” I smirked up at him and he was grinning back.

He laughed. “Smart. I like that.” I laughed him a little tensely and blushed.

“We better head home,” I said shyly, not knowing what to say.

The majority of the way home we were quiet and I mostly was thinking about what Zack said earlier. Did I seem scared? I didn’t feel scared. I felt…untrusting. But not scared. I knew Jade was feeling that too though she didn’t show it, I could feel it. I knew she was untrusting of these people, of this. Leaving someone behind is hard. We’ve been on the receiving side, and being left, alone and vulnerable, isn’t fun. I don’t know how I could do it to all these wonderful people here. I didn’t want to get so close. Is that being scared?

“Um Bailey? Bailey?”

“Hmm what?” I said surprised as Zack pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Just making sure you’re okay…” he said bashfully. “You looked, worried.”

“Oh yeah. No. I’m fine.”

“That was a good run!” I said happily as Zack and I strolled up my steep driveway. No matter how stressful that run was, afterwards that stress and more was off my chest.

“Yeah, it was. You’re a good running partner,”

“That was nice. I don’t really run with other people, but I liked it.”

“What do you say? Running buddies?” We high fived and it looked like Zack was going to say something else, but we were interrupted.

“BayyBayy!!!” I cringed at the sound. I turned to see Jack running full sprint towards me. He obviously didn’t think the whole thing through because by the time he reached me he had only sped up and there was no way of stopping him so we ending up falling on the rocky pavement.

“Hi Jack.” I sounded muffled from him crushing me and I felt his chest moving up and down on my head as he laughed. “Ow.”

“Whoa are you guys okay?” I heard Rian’s voice muted from somewhere above me.

“Yep!”

“No.” Jack and I both said at the same time, Jack a little more enthusiastic.

“Jack, dude, get the fuck off her,” I faintly heard Alex’s voice and then felt Jack get off me.

I looked up and there were eight people looking down at me. I looked at my surroundings and I was at the end of the driveway. I tried standing up. “Ow.”

“Duude! You should have seen that! I swear when Jack ran in to you, it was like a thunder clap and wow! You were like, ten feet in the air! And you were in the air for like twenty seconds! It was like slow motion and I--”

“Rian, shut up,” Kara scolded and smacked him in the shoulder.

“Are you okay Jazz?” Jade asked worried. She and Zack helped me stand up and I tried to shake off the hit.

“Yeah,” I said shakily. “I hit my back, but other than that I’m good,” I said again and strained a smile.

“Jack you idiot!” Alex smacked Jack upside the head and Kaylie and Melanie took the opportunity to follow in pursuit.

“Hey!” he whined. “No one asked me if I was okay…” he pouted and crossed his arms.

Everyone rolled their eyes and walked away.

“Well if anyone was wondering! My finger is okay! It just got bent a little!”

Jade and Zack led me inside and everyone else followed us in ignoring Jack.

“I’LL BE ABLE TO PLAY TONIGHT!!” Jack strained his voice so we would hear him once we closed the door.

“Good thing he’s not the singer, because his voice is pretty much fucked now,” Zack joked. We all cracked up and then heard Jack yelling something at our old neighbor’s dog who was barking at him and when his voice cracked we laughed even harder.

“By the way, that reminds me. You girls are coming to the show tonight right?!” Alex asked excitedly.

“We always do, Alex,” Kaylie said, bored, as she got herself some water and then some ice for me.

“No I meant Jade and Bailey.” Alex stuck his tongue out at Kaylie and threw his arm around Jade. “What do you think Jay Bird?”

“Duh!”

“What time?” I asked quietly.

“Well we want to be there early, so we are leaving at five. It starts at seven,” Rian said. “You girls don’t--”

“AND DON’T YOU EVER COME BACK AGAIN, YOU PIECE OF SHIT HORSEFLY!!” We heard a door slam and Jack walked past the kitchen. “Oh, hey guys!” he said happily. Then he turned and walked to the bathroom.

There was a stunned silence for a moment.

“Anyways…! I’m going to change,” I said, hobbling to get up because of my back.

Jade handed me some Ibuprofen and Kaylie stood up. “I’ll help you!”

I started walking out of the kitchen.

“Kinky!” jeered Alex.

“That’s hot.” Rian stated.

“Nice.” I heard Zack say, followed by three loud smacks.

Kaylie and I laughed and started up the stairs to my room.

“BONER!” I heard Jack yell from the bathroom.

==========

We all tried to squeeze ourselves on my aunts three person couch, but there wasn’t enough room for nine teens so three ended up laying on the floor while six squished on the couch.

“My phone is ringing,” Rian said dreadingly.

“I know, I can feel it all the way down here,” Alex said from the opposite end of the couch.

“Dude, that’s such a gay song,” Jack laughed from the floor as “Check on It” by Beyonce played through his pants pocket.

“Hey!” Kara said offended. “It’s a good song. Don’t hate.”

“We be hatin’,” laughed Alex. “Dude, you’re so whipped!”

Melanie breathed a huge sigh, “We are NOT getting into the whipped conversation. Don’t even start.”

“My ears are bleeding!” Alex yelled obnoxiously. “Answer the damn phone!”

There was no way Rian could. Rian, Kara, Melanie, Kaylie, Jade and Alex were all squished without an inch of moving room together on the small couch with me laying across them all.

“Shut up! I can’t hear the movie,” Jack whined like a baby, turning up Home Alone.

“Jack. No one likes this movie,” Zack said.

“Shut up, bitch! Everyone loves this movie!” Jack yelled loudly, getting up to sit right in front of the T.V.

“Yo!” Rian said after he heaved himself off the couch and answered his phone.

“You’re sitting on my finger,” Alex whispered to Jade. Since my head was on Alex and Jade’s lap, I heard him say it. Ew?

“Well how’d that get there?” Jay said playfully.

“I don’t know, just get it out,” he whispered harshly with a smirk on his face after realizing what he just said.

“That’s what she said,” Kaylie said from beside Jade.

Jade giggled into Alex’s shoulder. “Are you sure you’re the one who’s supposed to be saying that?” she joked.

“Ha. Ha.”

“Shut up you fuckers!” Jack yelled as the young Macaulay Culkin placed toy jacks in front of the open window as a trap.

“Fuck you,” Alex shot back.

“Gladly. Ladies shut your eyes.”

“Jack, shut up,” Kaylie said casually. I just giggled quietly from my spot on the couch.

“Good news, guys! My dad just dropped off the van for tonight, so we can load all of our things in to that,” Rian said excitedly when he returned.

“Sweet, let’s get going then!” Alex said, lifting my shoulder up and sliding out from under me.

“Hey! I was watching that!” Jack whined when the T.V. turned off, but no one paid attention to him.

“I’m really excited,” Jade said happily as everyone left the T.V. room. She said it so normal, but I knew inside she was prancing around like George Clooney just asked her to marry him and Michael Jackson wrote a song about her in the same day. She loved All Time Low’s music.

“Me too,” Alex smiled down at her and then hugged her. “I’m glad you are coming.”

“Well, I have my car we can use,” Kara offered. It was an old car and only sat four.

“Jay Bird, you’re riding with us!” Alex cheered and yanked the blond towards him

“No,” Melanie said simply. “She comes with us!” She yanked Jade back.

“Fine, then we get Bailey!” Jack said proudly as he grabbed my arm and held me by his side.

“Yeah!” Zack jeered at the other four girls, like it was a draft or something.

“That’s what’s up,” Rian said, using my shoulder as an arm rest and throwing a gang symbol up. I felt my cheeks flush at the attention.

“Fine. Be that way,” Kaylie said. “Meet you there!”

Kara, Kaylie, Melanie and Jade all loaded in to Kara’s small red car and they drove off.

“Welcome to Paradise a la All Time Low,” Alex said as he opened the door. I looked around hesitantly but jumped in. Alex hopped in the driver seat and Rian with shot gun. Jack, Zack and I were piled in the back. I jumped when Alex suddenly yelled, “Are we ready?!?!”

“FUCK YEAH!” All the boys yelled. Then eight eyes were on me.

“Baybay, we didn’t hear you,” Jack scolded.

“Let’s try it again,” Alex said. “Are we ready?!?!”

“Yeah,” I smiled.

“No Bailey. Not good enough.”

“Yeah!” I said loudly, a little embarrassed. Zack ruffled my hair and laughed pathetically for me.

“No. Try again,” Rian demanded.

“Fuck yeah,” I said, trying to sound enthused.

“Okay, one more time. And I better hear your voice, Bailey. ARE WE READY?!?!”

“FUCK YEAH!!” we all screamed. And we were off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cure for writer's block? A lot of Paramore and Butch Walker!
I forgot how much I loved Riot!. It's a wonderful album. And I love Butch's new I Liked It Better When You Had No Heart. Very Awesome.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. I'd like to say on behalf of Livvy and I that we love the support we are getting. We were discussing the other day how you all make us smile when you comment and we get super happy when people subscribe. So thanks! You are loved. Dearly. <3

If ya want, check out my Tumblr (Emily’s Tumblr). I post random things that give me inspiration, make me happy and random funny things from YouTube. By the way, I just posted All Time Low's cover of Alejandro (which is AWESOME!) So go check it out. :)

Love, Em