Sweet Poison

The Seizure of Innocence.

1782, in the deepest depths of a dark & foggy London, a man looked down upon his gold pocket watch. A disjointed & slightly bent minute hand stuck on the three bobbed as it stook in position. He made a connection to the metal pointer as it watched time go by, however, never actually moving forward. He flicked the lid down with a hint of anger.
"Late Again"
The moon, huge against the mismatched skyline, surrounded the clocktower of the parliament building, which loomed in the distance. Against its white surface, he saw a familiar fluttering of bats across the sky.
A deadly smile sreaked across his face as they flew closer to him, & walking forward, closing the gap, he tightened his gloves with his teeth. A loud snapping noise filtered through the fog as the fabric clashed across his pale flesh.
The bats landed, morphing together into a black padded dress, gradually filled with the tiny body of a seriously ill looking woman. She pulled a hood over her head, leaving a small amount of her white hair hanging out in the cold.
"You're late." The man pointed out, the grim grin still sprawled over his lips.
"Oh, Carreau, my little..." She coughed a little before continuing. "The well is empy & the children are starving. I'm starving. I played with a bird earlier, he didn't taste right at all......he tasted of...oh! Chicken. You see! Tell me...have I lost my mind!?" She gripped Carreau's shoulders & placed her head on his chest.
"It's OK. It's OK, we'll get you food tonight remember. We'll go get it now. Are you alright to walk?" Pushing her at arms length like a scolded child.
She nodded. They began the walk throught the fog & the dense night air towards their annual feast.

The last candle burned out, thirty heads buried themselves under coarse woolen sheets.
Whispers could be heard amongst ambient noises of pigeons cooing in the exposed & leaking roof.
A shadow, tall & thin, with slender hands & long hair, draped over the room, embracing & enshrouding the sleeping youths.
One eye, shyly peeking out from behind a white pillow, glinted green in the darkness. Catching a glimpse of the figure stalking the building, it darted back underneath the sheets.
"It's just a dream. It's just a dream." A voice whispered.
A second shadow formed in one corner of the room, leaning over thelast bed in the row of many. As it bent down, a young girl, screamed. Waking up from her dreams to get a drink, she stumbled upon Carreau & Verrine getting ready to feast upon the innocents blood as it pumped youthfully around the children's soft veins.
The rest of the children awoke, screaming in unison.
The single glimmering eyeshot out of the bed & into the centre of the room. The silouette of the child against the light of the open window, showed a thin boy, loosesly covered by a grey nightgown.
"Stop! You will not harm us!" A strong but slightly quivering voice emited from his mouth.
"Well child. I like you." Carreau wandered closer to him while creaks could be heard in the hallway.
Verrine retreated through the window, her thirst satisfied for the time being.
The nuns burst into the room. Bright candlelight bathed the walls & ceiling of the room. The chanted religious verses & ordered the vampire out.
Carreau grabbed the boy under the ams, held him in fromt of himself like a shield. The nuns charged anyway, crusifixes in hand. He jumped backwards through the open window, taking the boy with him. The curtains fluttered for a moment, then stopped, dead.