A Beautiful Moment Amongst The Rain

Sweating Out The Fever

It was like being born all over again. I was clueless on how to woo a girl, I even wondered if kissing a girl was any different than kissing a boy. Were there set rules to dating a girl? I felt like I had just put myself into an awkward situation with the last person I'd want to make a fool of myself with. Didn't they have an Idiot's guide for bi-sexuals out there somewhere?

The door bell rang, after what seemed like forever. I had gotten up early that morning, spending a long time in the bathroom. In the end, I only hoped you liked how I looked. I wanted you to fall in love with me with just one glance.

My mother opened the door to a beautiful young woman, you. You looked amazing! You had straightened your hair, wearing a cute black skirt and green spaghetti strapped shirt. i was relieved that both of our fashion senses had complimented each other.

You came in for a few minutes, to meet my family.

"Hi, I'm Andrea, how are you today?" you asked politely with a smile.

My mom liked you off of the bat, you can tell with that woman. If she smiles and hugs you instead of just shaking your hand, you were in her good graces. She did that with you, making me feel good about bringing you home.

My father got out of his easy chair in the living room, walking over to meet you as well. He extended a warm hand and smiled.

"Pleased to meet you, I'm her father."

You were so calm and confident, something I lacked and yearned for. Ben only looked at you with doe eyes, awestruck by your beauty and grace.

"Ben, say hi," my father said, turning to look at him.

"Hi.." he said dreamily.

You smiled and laughed, finding his adoration cute. I found it funny, my little brother was jealous of my crush on you! Poor kid!

We dabbled in small talk, about where we were going, what time we were going to be home, the usual parent interrogation. You had a prompt answer for all of their questions, it was odd. This was the same procedure my parents used to put me through when I brought a new boyfriend over in the past. I figured it was only because you were a new friend they hadn't met yet.

With the introductions and game plan play by play over, we left the house, getting into your sleak Honda. I was excited, finally able to spend a day with you and only you. No family, no Lizzie, no school, just you and me.

We decided to go to the park first since it wasn't that far from my house. We pulled into the parking lot and parked. We made our way down the long winding sidewalk to the main path.

"I used to come here as a little girl with my family every weekend in the summer," you said as we passed the playground.

"Yeah, I came here a lot too. Not that much anymore though," I replied sadly as we watched the children at play.

"It's like, the older you get, the less fun and free time you're allowed to have. I think that's an unfair change that you have to make with aging."

You said this while looking up at the sky, a gentle breeze blowing through your hair. I could smell the scent of the shampoo you had used, seducing my senses. We continued to casually walk down the trail, we were relatively alone on this day. I didn't mind though, it just meant less distractions and more time to concentrate on us.

We passed a duck pond, watching the ducks at play.

"Oh how cute!" you cried with joy, seeing the small yellow ducks gathering around their mother.

I knelt down, offering a hand for them. i wish we had brought bread so that we could feed them. One of the ducks swam up to my empty hand, looked at it in distaste, then paddled away.

"So what are your interests? I mean, aside from art of course," you asked, kneeling down next to me.

I shrugged, "I don't really know. I like music, movies, stuff like that. I know, it's not much."

I felt stupid, feeling like I was being boring and uninteresting. I wanted to impress you so badly, but there wasn't anything interesting or impressing about me. I was just your average sixteen year old girl, with piles of personal issues.

"That's cool, I like those things too! What kind of music?" you asked, not at all put off by my bland answer.

"Rock, blues, jazz, pretty much everything but country."

You smiled at me, "So you like gangsta rap? Polka? Opera?"

"Well, maybe not everything, but some opera and rap is good..I guess," I said sheepishly.

That was when you reached over and put your hand in mine, "Nothing wrong with being diverse and different right?"

I could only nod, too afraid to breath. I was captivated by your touch, your voice, your eyes. I could only stare at you, not sure of what to say or do.

"And what about movies?" you asked, giving my hand a squeeze.

"Adventure, horror, mystery..." my voice trailed off as you looked into my eyes.

"How about romance?" you asked, moving in closer to me.

"Yeah...romance..too."

It felt like we were caught in time, everything seemed to slow down. It was only you and me there, in the park, looking at each other. I wanted to badly to kiss you, but I was too afraid. I wasn't sure if I was ready to give in just yet and kiss a girl.

You must have sensed my insecurity, because you stood up and straightened your skirt out. I stood up myself, not sure of what to do next. You grabbed my hand, pulling me along as we continued our walk.

"So, were you and Lizzie about to work things out?"

I froze, not sure of how to explain her, or even tell you about her coming out to me. So I lied.

"Yeah, we're fine now. We had little misunderstanding, but we fixed it."

You smiled, "That's good to hear. She seems really important to you, and it'd suck if you guys couldn't see things eye to eye."

I felt guilty, lying to you already. I wanted to tell you everything, to spill my guts about how I felt about you, everything. I felt like running away too, to just stop this all before it got to serious. What if I really wasn't bi? What if this was all just in my head, and I was leading this beautiful girl on?

You gave my hand another gentle squeeze, "Hey, everything is going to be okay, okay? I'm a really nice person, or so I've been told. If you're nervous, there's no reason to be."

I gulped, "Nervous? Who's nervous? Nervous about what?"

You smiled a knowing smile, "Everyone is nervous on dates. Everyone wants to be the very best for the ones they care about. You don't have to do that for me, I like you already."

My heart jumped in my chest, causing me to unintentionally spasm and squeeze your hand. I blushed, not really sure of what to do next. So we kept walking, hand in hand, having small talk. After awhile, I felt more relaxed and at ease with you. I think that was your plan all along.

We got to a park bench, where we sat down. Clouds were starting to form overhead, signs of coming rain.

"Looks like rain," I said, looking up at the sky.

"It does. I was hoping it'd stay sunny longer."

"Can't always get what you want I guess," I said with a sigh.

"Why not? I am."

I turned to look at you, your eyes met mine instantly. We were still holding hands, your thumb was gently caressing the back of my hand and knuckles. You smiled sweetly, our eyes still locked in an affectionate stare.

"You know what I like about the rain?" you asked as you reached a hand over to touch my cheek.

"What's that?" I replied, my eyes closing as I felt your soft touch.

"There is always this one beautiful moment amongst the rain, like a short pause. It's when the sun may come out for a few moments, or that rainbow in the sky. I love it when the clouds part, and the sun shines in just right, like a spark of hope."

"That's beautiful," I said dreamily, my eyes closed, imagining what you were talking about.

When I reopened them, you were right up next to me, face-to-face. I exhaled slowly, lost in your eyes. You moved in, your hand gently moving to my neck and shoulder. I closed my eyes again as I felt you lean into me. I shuddered as you kissed me for the first time. It was perfect, completing. I felt a rush of emotion, wanting, longing, lust, passion, all of these seem to burst from my heart. Your lips were rose petal soft, gently pressing against mine.

You took your time, letting me adjust to the new sensation and realization that I was kissing another girl. You put your arms around me, holding me closer. I did the same, my hand moving to your waist, the other to your shoulder. All of the fear, indecisiveness, worry, and turmoil in my life, seemed to disappear with that one kiss.

You gently and slowly pulled away, opening your eyes with one of the most beautiful smiles I had ever seen.

"You ever kiss a girl before?" you asked, touching a delicate finger to my lips.

"No, you're the first," I whispered, afraid that my voice would shatter the crystal moment.

"Do you like it?"

I nodded, "I like you."

You smiled and moved in to kiss me again. This was right, this was more than right. It was proper and justified. I pulled you closer, wanting to feel every inch of your body against mine. I could feel your full breasts gently graze mine, my hand moving to your hip. Youmoved to my neck, brushing back my hair and kissing me. I sighed with pleasure, this was something that no boy in my life had ever made me feel. Not even when I had my first kiss by a boy, or when I lost my virginity. What had I been missing out on?

You ran your fingers through my hair, you were so loving and gentle. I felt like I was going to melt into you. I had forgotten that we were in public, sitting on a park bench. But it didn't matter, all that I cared about was you.

"I knew there was something about you," I murmured with a smirk.

You looked at me quizzically, "How so?"

I smiled, "I had a feeling that I'd end up kissing you."

"Do you like this? Does this feel...right to you? Cause if not...we can stop..and just be friends..if you want."

You said this seriously, giving me a look of sterness. It was sweet though, you wanted me to be sure that this was what I wanted. There were no obligations, no pressure, no strings attached. But it didn't matter, I wanted you.

"I like this, I like feeling like this and being with you. I know it hasn't been that long, but I've wanted you since the moment I layed eyes on you Andrea."

You pulled me close to you, embracing me and holding me tight. It was then that I felt more than an affectionate liking towards you. I felt something deeper, stronger, a resonation coming from the very deep chambers of my heart. I wanted to say it, right then and there. But I didn't want to rush into things, not yet. I had just finally come out to her, finally accepting who and what I was. Why ruin it?

"C'mon, let's go grab something to eat," you said, grabbing me by the hand as you stood up.

We walked back to the car, hand in hand. We didn't talk, there was nothing that needed to be said. We only giggled and smiled, knowing that was more than enough to convey our thoughts and feelings.

"So..are..like..y'know?" I asked with a tiny voice.

You looked at me, "You mean, are we like girlfriends now?"

It was different and wierd hearing that. I had never called anyone my girlfriend before, let alone had one. But it made sense, and it felt good to refer to this wonderful girl as one. I was even more pleased with myself for having my first girlfriend be you.

"Yeah.." I said cautiously.

"Only if you want us to be."

I smiled and leaned over to give her another kiss. Now that we had gotten the first kiss out of the way, it seemed to come a lot more naturally. It wasn't that different after all, a kiss was a kiss, no matter what gender the kisser was.

"So, girlfriend, where do you want to go to eat?" you asked, emphasizing the word.

"I'll let you pick."

You gave me a sly smile and a wink. I wasn't sure what you had planned in store, but as long as it was with you, I didn't care. We could have had a dinner like Lady and the Tramp had had, and it wouldn't have mattered.

There were so many things I wanted to tell you that day. So many things that would have took too long to say or explain, or things that not even words could describe. But there was one thing that I wanted to say, but never did. And I wish I had.

"I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Man, they finally did it right?!
This was a little harder than usual for me. I based their first kiss off of what some of my interviewers talked about, mixed in with my own feelings when I had my first kiss with a girl.
I have been kissed by a guy before, and it meant nothing to me. Even though it was a sweet kiss that I was not expecting, I felt odd. I tried to capture that feeling that I had when it happened, only it was a good kiss for Tabbie and Andrea, and not like the one I had that had me saying "WTF?"