Status: Finished

Mixed Feelings of Elation

Chapter 22

"She did what?" Lestat yelled.

Arpeggio ran into the room and dived to the spot next to Neon. The smile on her face was the largest Neon had seen it in a long time. The drummer's eyes were sparkling. Arpeggio clasped Neon's hands in hers.

"You and Alex really had sex?" Arpeggio asked.

"You're not supposed to be so excited about this," Neon replied.

"Well, I am. Why didn't I hear about this? Why didn't he tell Jack?"

"Because I told him not to. I didn't want anyone to find out so I asked him not to tell," Neon sighed, "I even told him to get out of bed and wait for me in the kitchen so you guys wouldn't find out. He didn't take it well, we fought, and I doubt he'll ever brag about this to Jack."

"So you two aren't together?"

"We're not even talking to each other right now."

Arpeggio's expression dropped. Things were never simple with them. Alex and Neon couldn't even hook up without arguing.

"So, wait," Dorian cut it, "I'm still tired, so I'm not fully comprehending this. You slept with Alex. And, instead of him leaving before you woke up, you kicked him out."

"Basically," Neon said.

"What is with you two?"

"Excuse me?"

"Everyone knows you like each other. Can’t you two just get together and be happy? You're both so complicated."

"How would everyone know we like each other when I don't know if I like him?"

"Have you really thought about it?" Lestat asked.

"No, but apparently you guys have," Neon grumbled.

"We spent time trying to figure out why you would change your entire appearance for Alex in high school. You wouldn't even change your shirt if someone didn't like it. One guy harasses you about your weight and instead of telling him to 'fuck off' you starve yourself. The only way it could make sense is if you like Alex somewhere deep down in your subconscious."

"I was just trying to get him to stop. It had nothing to do with liking him."

"I don't believe that."

"Why not?"

"You've always changed things just for Alex. Do you remember when Armand told you he didn't like one of your shirts? You told him to get over it. Alex told you he didn't like the exact same shirt and you threw it away when you got home from school. Armand was your boyfriend. Explain why you threw a shirt away for some 'douche bag,' not for your boyfriend."

"Are you trying to say I didn't love Armand?" Neon asked.

Neon remembered that shirt. It was some red, sparkly thing that looked terrible on her. It didn't match with her hair, complexion, or skinny jeans. But she wore it because it was comfortable. Armand hated the shirt. He always hated it. He claimed she looked too thin in it, that it reminded him of the anorexia she faced. She would never change it though, especially if they were staying in for the evening.

Then Alex told her she looked like a mismatched Christmas ornament in the shirt. She ripped it off the minute she got home and threw it in the trash.

"No, Neon. We know you loved Armand. But maybe you had a crush on Alex. Maybe he was your soul mate," Lestat said.

"I don't believe in soul mates," Neon replied.

"Oh yeah? What do you call Arpeggio and Jack?" Lestat pointed to the drummer.

Arpeggio hadn't been paying much attention to the conversation. She was lost in the confines of her brain, where her thoughts were moving in hyper speed. Maybe she should have listened to Jack and not eaten the six Skittles that were left in his pack.

She stopped bobbing her head to her imaginary beat long enough to notice the stares of her band mates.

"Don't judge me," Arpeggio yelled, jumping to her feet and running to the kitchen.

The band members stared after the young girl. What was wrong with her?

"I feel like I should be worried about this," Neon stated.

"I think she's given Jack so much head, it's scrambled her brain," Dorian said.

"Ew," Neon wrinkled her nose.

"Back to the point," Lestat said, "Jack and Arpeggio complete each other. Arpeggio has changed so much thanks to Jack. He makes her open up like a normal teenager should. And Jack has calmed down considerably, not to mention become more responsible."

"And you think Alex would complete me?" Neon asked.

"If you gave him a shot, you could find out."

"This is ridiculous."

"It's not ridiculous."

"Soul mates don't exist. That's fairytale bullshit."

"Stop being so negative," Jazz commanded, "We know you don't believe in fairytales and you don't like cliché romance. Can't you believe there's someone out there for you? Someone who's made just for you."

Neon raised an eyebrow. It was true, she didn't believe in fairytale romances nor did she enjoy romance in its most cliché state. She hated getting roses and chocolates. She didn't celebrate Valentine's Day. She did, however, believe in love.

In her cynical mindset, it was the only thing she could believe in.

"Look," Dante said, "Don't you remember how sad you were when Alex left your house? You were sobbing. Because of a guy. You're Neon; that's not something you do."

"Wait, you already knew about this?" Dorian asked.

"I was there when Alex left in his underwear," Dante answered.

"He didn't even take the time to put clothes on before he left?" Lestat asked.

"Neon told him to get out and he did what she asked. Which is another thing we should brush over, Alex always does what you tell him to do. You can't believe that maybe he's doing it because he likes you?"

"I don't know, okay? I don't fucking know. I don't want to think about it," Neon replied.

"You should think about it. At least talk to him and tell him you're sorry. If you cried over it, it’s a pretty big deal," Lestat said.

"He's right. You don't cry over anything unless you're hurt or it's related to Armand," Jazz added.

"Plus, Alex looked like a dejected puppy when he left. He's hurt by this too," Dante said.

"Is that why Alex has been depressed for the past few days?" asked Dorian.

"Most likely."

"Can we stop talking about this?" Neon asked.

This wasn't a conversation she wanted to have. She thought it would go down differently. She didn't think they would be pushing her to think about Alex as something more than a friend.

"You at least used protection, right?" Lestat asked.

Neon glanced at Dante. A nervous glance that only he would understand in the group.

"Don't worry, I made sure I won't get pregnant," Neon reassured.

A glass shattered in the dining room, where Arpeggio was still hidden away.

"Oh my gosh, it fell," Arpeggio yelped.

"Arpeggio, get the fuck out of my dining room," Lestat yelled.

"No, I'm experimenting."

There was another crash and a yell of excitement from Arpeggio. Lestat groaned, stood from his spot, and stormed to the kitchen.

"Seriously, what is wrong with your sister today?" Dante asked.

"I have no idea," Neon shook her head.

Another crash resonated through the air.

"Stop fucking breaking things," Lestat hollered.

"Never," Arpeggio replied.

"That's my cue to leave," Neon said standing up from the floor.

"You're not going to play mommy and reprimand her?" Dorian asked.

Neon ignored the pang of sadness that ran through her.

"That's Jack's job now."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to rivals are insane, breepocket, Bella.Rider, tq6776, Wasted Ambition, RainbowSkittles1551, ChasingTheRain, and BlackHeartRomance.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
So I only have 7 or 8 chapters left to write.
If I wasn't so tired, my excitment level would be so high right now.
And I think I have 11 or 12 waiting to be posted currently.
This is one of the few stories I've written that had to have a specific timeline which is the only reason I know how many chapters are left.
The only other one on here that has a timeline is Somewhere Weaknesses Are Strength.
Yeah.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste