Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

Hospital

R I V E R

I felt like i was floating. The black water carressing my arms and legs. It was like liquid silk dragging itself across my curves, making me feel cool. I wasn't sure where the silk river was taking me. It was swirling around in circles and undefinable waves and currents. Like i was trapped in the bottom of the ocean, but i could still breath.

I imagined figures and forms pushing out of the blackness, trying to get a look at the strange broken girl that infiltrated their territory. They tried to snag at my arms and hair but some invisible force held them at bay. But now the figures were collecting themselves, grouping together. They rose up in a giant mass of darkness, and went to crash down on me.

For the blackness was death, and death was trying to take me away. But i didn't want to leave. I didn't want to go with death. So i fought it off. I pushed with my muscles and my mind against it, trying to shove it back. It was persistant though, and kept coming back. So i had to keep fighting it. It wasn't easy.

But then i felt a new force moving in to help me. It contrasted with the cool of the darkness. It was warm and strong and protective. It smelled like the forest and burning leaves.

Then i could hear stuff, muffled and blurred but i knew the voice still.

"Embry..." i breathed. I wanted to see him. I felt my body now, i could feel the distinct lines of my arms and face and legs. I struggled to open my eyes. I felt like i was in a vaccum, and the darkness was trying to suck me back in.

But i fought, I could feel the sweat drip down my face. Then there was a great sucking sound in my ears, like coming out of the ocean during a thunder storm, and i shot up in a strange room, my eyes fluttering open. My breathing came in short, quick gasps and i struggled to regain control of my heart-beat.

I felt shaky and hot and i couldn't get my eyes to focus on anything. I was scared and confused.

And then i saw him.

Embry was sitting next to me, grasping my hand and searching my face. Next to him was a wet rag. I felt my whole body grow weaker again. I realized i was covered in sticky sweat.

"Embry." i whimpered. i whispered it over and over again as he pulled me into his arms, trying to comfort me. I felt a few hot tears slide down my cheeks. "Embry what happened?" i asked, pulling away from his welcome embrace to see his face better.

"You were...you were weak. We called a doctor and he said you had an..uh...infection in your cuts." he said. I could now feel the odd numb in my back. Probably from medications.

Embry reached up and rubbed my cheek. His hand felt good. Even if i was burning up his warmth made everything feel fuzzy and soft.

"i thought i was gonna lose you for a second." he whispered, pulling me a little closer. I could feel his breath on my lips and my heart picked up it's speed all over again. He leaned a little closer, so that my breathing hitched and i fumbled for a good come back.

"You can't g-get rid of me that ea-asy." i said, not able to speak correctly, not with him so close.

He looked into my eyes and i nearly melted right there. I used my arm to push myself a little closer. I could practically feel electricity crackling between us.

Then he closed the distance and my body ignited in flames. Our lips melted, pushing together perfectly. He ran his hand over my hip and around my neck.

I reached around and felt the muscles of his shoulders and back. I wasn't surprised he was shirtless. I didn't mind it anymore. In fact, i preferred it.

It seemed like we had only kissed for a few seconds, but when we pulled away the clock said that 30 minutes had passed.

"I hope this means we're together now huh.?" he breathed after we had caught our breath. I smiled so wide my mouth hurt. Just him saying that made my stomach get all fluttery.

"Yea." i agreed, leaning back in for another kiss. Just then the door opened and standing there was an extremely tall, intimidating looking guy.

When i say tall, I mean tall. We're talking taller than Embry. He was just...huge!!!!!

"Embry." he greeted with a nod of his head. He radiated power and dominance. It was weird.

"Sam." Embry responded, but he seemed humbled. Almost like Sam was some kind of leader.

"How are you doing?" Sam asked, turning his attention to me. I suddenly felt almost embaressed that we had been walked in on. Almost like Sam was someone who needed to be impressed. He seemed friendly enough though, because he looked like he cared how i was doing, and there was a small smile on his face.

"I'm fine. Just kind of weak i guess, and a little light-headed." i answered. Then i stuck my hand out. "I'm River." i said, trying to regain enough composure to put a polite smile on my face. Embry was so close it was still hard to concentrate though.

He reached over and shook my hand, shooting Embry a look i didn't understand. Maybe it was...approval?

"I'm Sam. I've already heard a lot about you." he chuckled. I felt my cheeks heat up as i looked back over at Embry. He didn't seem like he regretted being caught, he just stared back at me and smiled.

I smiled too. Everything felt so unreal, like i was about to wake up and find myself still in the basement. And that's when a little fear set in.

"Where's Max?" i asked, sitting up a little straighter.

"He's fine. He's been keeping Emily company." Sam smiled.

"Ummm, who's Emily?" i asked, not wanting to be rude.

"My fiance'. You'll meet her soon. Would you like to come downstairs for lunch, or do you want someone to bring it to you?" I was just starting to realize how much i didn't know about Embry. Obviously these people were his friends. But...i was just confused. I wanted to know what the hell was going on.

But at the same time I was relieved. I was finally out. They didn't have control over me anymore. They couldn't make me stop seeing Embry or use Max to threaten me.

I felt a small smile slide across my face, everything was going to get better. I knew that, it just needed some time.

"No. I want to meet everyone." i said, smiling even wider when Embry put his hand in mine.

"Okay." Embry breathed, planting a small kiss on my ever willing lips. I knew there would be many more kisses to come.