Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

What If He Doesn't Wake Up?

R I V E R

He was just laying there. The monitors all around him beeped steadily, the only indication that he was actually still alive. It was...horrible. The bandage that wrapped around his head made me want to puke.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked, letting tears slip down my face freely. There was no use trying not to cry now. Now i was trying not to have a complete mental breakdown.

"He suffered a bad head injury. We....we don't know if he's going to wake up." Carlisle said. Which seemed...unreal. He had to wake up. He was Embry. The Embry who was excited about a fight with vampires. Embry who was constantly happy and warm. Now his hand felt cold against mine. Carlisle began to go into a long explanation of how the brain was trying to heal itself but it was a very difficult job. There were a lot of words i didn't understand and a lot of terms that ultimately seemed horrible. I tried to tune him out because honestly, all the doctor talk just didn't make any sense to me.

I could literally feel my heart breaking.

"N-no, he h-has to wake up." i sobbed, hiccuping stupidly.

"We hope he will. It's just...we just don't know. It's all up in the air right now." Carlisle said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"C-can i just be alone with h-him right now?" i asked, looking at the large crowd gathered in the room. All of them looked like they'd been crying. Because the pack was like family.

"Of course." he said, and everyone shuffled out of the room, their feet sounding especially loud in the sad silence.

When i heard the door close i just looked at him for a little bit. His face was still perfect. His cheek-bones curved the same way, his chin came down at the same angle and his hair fell over one of his eyes. I reached up and brushed it away, almost expecting him to open his eyes at my touch.

"Embry you need to wake up for me. Because...i need you Embry. I need you with me. Max is going to be starting kindergarten, and you're like a dad to him." i said, playing the Max card, because i knew he loved that kid to death.

He didn't move though, and the monitors continued to beep.

"A-and i need you. Because, you need to wake up so we can get married and have lots of babies. We can have as many as you want, i promise. I don't care if you want 8 or 10, we can have 10 kids. I don't care if you don't want to get married for a few years or get married tomorrow as long as you wake up to marry me. Because...well you have to marry me. I want to marry you. I would hope you would want to marry me. We're soul mates Embry. Soul mates get married and live happily ever after. That's just how it goes. S-so you need to wake up Embry." i said, looking at him intently, willing him to open his eyes.

But he still didn't move, and the monitors continued to beep.

Now i was crying heavily, my chest heaving up and down as i rested my forehead against his. I reached down and grabbed his hand, waiting desperately for him to squeeze mine back. "Please Embry." i cried, feeling sick with heart-ache. I hated to think what would happen if he never woke up. If he just laid there forever. I knew i would wait, just lay there with him.

"Embry if you don't wake up this very instant, i will march into your house and tell your mother all about you and your silly werewolf business! I swear it i will! And if you don't wake up you won't be able to stop me!" i cried, getting more frantic.

But he still didn't move, and the monitors continued to beep.

"Embry god damn it! Wake up! Please wake up, please!" i screamed, my body sagging as my forehead slipped to his chest and my tears began to soak through his shirt. I heard the door open behind me and cold hands pulled me away. I knew it was Carlisle.

I felt something pinch my skin and looked to see Carlisle give me a shot. I began to feel drowsy and knew that i was being put to sleep. They were trying to save me a few hours of misery, because in the back of my mind i knew that no one expected him to wake up. They thought he was basically dead.

But i couldn't accept that. I wouldn't. He would wake up. He had to.

"Please Embry. I love you." i cried, as the full effects of the shot began to take hold, and i leaned more heavily on Carlisle's side.

But he still didn't move, and the monitors continued to beep as i slipped into an unconsciousness filled with nightmares.