Reduced To Tears.

How To Save A Life

The next morning, Caris woke. She woke slowly, and while Andrew had fallen asleep, Hayden had stayed up. Hoping, praying for a miracle that would be granted. Caris sighed slightly, causing Hayden to jump, and watch her intently. She started to blink. Her hands were moving across the side of the bed. Hayden resisted the temptation to yell, to scream. Instead, he waited quietly. She finally opened her eyes, and the corpse like eyes gazed at him for a moment, before she re-closed them, and her rosy lips began to murmur.
“I loved you Hayden. Why didn’t you love me back?” And with those words, a tear rolled down her pale cheek. Hayden brushed it away, then grabbed her hand.
“I do love you Caris. I was just too stupid to realise it.” A weak smile curved at her lips and she let go of his hand.
“Where are mum and dad? And Andrew? Get them for me. Please.” She whispered softly, not able to manage anything other than that.
Hayden nodded, even though she wasn’t able to see it. Hayden punched Andrew in the arm, and hissed his name, until his eyes flickered open.
“Andrew. Wake up. Caris is alive, and awake!” Andrews eyes snapped open, and he glanced over at Caris ,to see her hand slightly twitching.
“Come here Andrew.” She said, almost in audibly. But he heard.
While he went to her, Hayden went and fetched her parents. Who were hysterical in relief. They clung together, standing around her bed. As her family as friends surrounded her, her mother shot questions at Caris, to which she mumbled replys to things like “What were you thinking” and “How could you ever leave us?”
Caris replied softly. “Mum, sometimes in life a person can’t see anything past that point in they’re life. They can’t imagine another day, week or month, or anything into the future. I guess, that was me. But now, I'm alive again. And I can imagine the rest of the week. And next week. And the week after that. In fact, when I get home ,I think I’m going to paint my room. Maybe a yellowy colour. Then I'll dye my hair. Maybe a nice light blondish colour. A new start.” Caris said to her audience, a group of people who loved her more than anything.
Her father simply gazed down at the frail, long limbs laying in the hospital bed. He just looked down at her. ’How amazing,’ he thought to himself,’ I never imagined that my beautiful little girl would grow up to be like this.’ Caris stopped answering the amount of questions being shot at her, and looked up at her dad.
“Daddy. Come here. I need a hug. And you always gave the best hugs.” Caris said quietly up at her father, they’re identical blue eyes meeting. He stepped forward and let his daughter embrace him as tightly as she could manage. With that, everyone in the small, cramped little room smiled. Caris had just assured everyone she would be alive and happy for as long as she could take.