Status: Slowly Active

What Makes It Wrong For Us To Fall In Love?

Not So Swimmingly Date

Jack’s POV

Fuck!

My eyes averted their attention from the stupid dog and bird, and back to the road, the car swerving back to the lane. Stupid ADD; I hated this, and probably just fucked up my date with Melanie.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck, fucking fuck.”

“What’s the matter Jack?” My eyes glanced at her, and I immediately turned my attention back to the road. Mainly because I didn’t want anything like earlier to happen again, and she was staring me down with those gorgeous, hazel eyes.

Oh God, those eyes. I swear I could stare at them for numerous amounts of hours and never get tired. ‘Okay enough Mr. Lovesick! Don’t want another of those accidents happening, do you?’ My conscious screamed at me.

“N-Nothing,” I mumbled. “I fucked up so bad.”

“What!? No Jack, it was just an accident,” She winked. “We’re still alive aren’t we? Just look at this way. There are no mistakes, just happy little accidents.”

“Yeah, I guess I’m just nervous.”

“Yup, well isn’t it your first date? It’s okay to be nervous. Heck, I am too.” Melanie put her hand atop of the one that wasn’t on my steering wheel. My lips turned into a smile, her hand was warm, soft, and a lot smaller than mine.

“Jack, your hand is like so big,” Melanie exclaimed while laughing.

My lips turned into a smile, and I bursted out laughed.

God, why was I even laughing?

Turning on the corner for the movie theater, I started to slow down, looking for a parking spot. After spotting one, we parked the car, making our way out and over to the front entrance.

“Well. That was an interesting car ride,” I said.

“Hah. Yeah, it was.”

I opened the door for her, like the gentleman I was. Melanie smiled in return.

“Why thank you Jack,” She smiled, while we both simultaneously blushed. Inside the movie theater lobby, there weren’t as much people here. Maybe some young couples like us, mostly because it was eight o’ clock at night. Maybe I liked it that way, because then Melanie and I could have the theater more to ourselves.

“Want anything to eat? I’ll pay, so don’t worry,” I asked. Melanie's gorgeous hazel eyes yet lit up again, before she scurried off into the candy section. Yeah, I wouldn’t have guessed. After taking approximately two minutes- which I may add was fast- she came back with a box of Watermelon Sour Patch Kids. She handed it off to me while I paid. As for me, I didn’t really want anything. “What do you think we should watch?”

“Hm, I’m not sure. Nothing scary, because I don’t want to be one of those scared, cliché girls on the first date who hide on your shoulder for almost the whole damn time,” she said, while rolling her eyes. I kind of sighed in my head because it would be even a pleasure for Melanie to clutch onto me during the scary scenes.

“Okay then, how about Shark Tale? I hope that’s not too scary for you, haha,” I said shrugging it off. We both agreed on it, and Melanie seemed to be more excited than usual. I then figured out that children’s movies were her thing. Maybe it’s best to add that on the “things to know about Melanie” list.

Paying our tickets, we made our way to theater seven, which was on the right side behind two other theaters. My hand mid-consciously locked in with hers, and I didn’t seem to know why.

“Oh, sorry,” the words flew out of my mouth.

“It’s fine. Maybe I like it that way,” she shyly said. I could tell she was nervous, so I held her hand the entire time. Let me tell you that it gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

We took our seats in the middle row, middle seats because we liked it that way. It had the best view in the theater. Well, besides the back, but Melanie wanted to sit in the middle, and as you say it, ‘to be a good gentleman, you should let the girl have it her way.’ I know I was being a pushover, but it’s whatever. I would do anything for Melanie.

“Are you excited?” She asked.

“Yeah, of course, I’m always excited when I’m with you,” I said. “And no, I don’t mean the hard for you kind of excited. Just that feeling, like you know its right to be here.” Melanie’s smile got even bigger, if that was possible. Well played Mr. Barakat.

“I think I chose the right guy,” she bit her lip while smiling. Her face was getting really close to my face. “Oh look, the movie’s starting. We should get quiet right about now.”

Thirty minutes into watching Shark Tale, things started to become suspicious. I heard voices by the entrance door to the theater, and they weren’t just any noises. It sounded like a bunch of guy voices whispering all at once, which did not make it seem quiet. It sounded like a bunch of rattlesnakes communicating to each other. I shrugged it off, and glanced to Melanie. She was wide eyes at the screen, once in a while mindlessly retrieving another Sour Patch from the box and putting it into her mouth. It was like she was hypnotized or something.

I giggled a little at the way she looked, and she didn’t even take her eyes of the screen. Let alone blink. It was kind of creepy, but I didn’t mind.

The whispering voices got even louder now, and it was starting to freak me out. Was I going to be killed? Was I going to be pranked? I didn’t even know. Maybe I should kiss Melanie before I die. You know, so I know that I did it.

I tapped on her shoulder lightly, and she let out of her trance. Melanie looked at me with confusing eyes, wondering what I could want now. It was starting to lead into the good part too, I suppose.

I shyly whispered, “Okay, so you know that I-I…” I stuttered off. “That I-I…”

“That you what, Jack?” She asked, holding a puzzled face while her eyebrows knitted together.

“That I-I-I,” I did it again. Damn it. “That, I like you. I like you, there I said it.”

She smiled once again, staring into my eyes, while I did to hers. “I know you do. And guess what? I do too. I’m glad you feel the same. You know, I have kind of liked you a lot for the past few days.”

“Well I’m glad that we’re both glad,” I chuckled. That was a weird sentence to say. Before I knew it, we were both leaning it, and Melanie started to close her eyes. Both our lips were puckered, and I guess I was leaning in for a kiss. My first kiss.

Wow.

We were millimeters apart, almost there. ‘You can do it, Jack! It’s about damn time you got your first kiss. I mean like damn boy, you’ve been single your whole life. Get it on!’ My conscious said at me.

Before, that happened.

Yeah it happened. Some people just had to ruin my first kiss. They just had to. I was so close to kissing Melanie, but someone just had to pull on my hair. My hand was milliseconds away from connecting to their face. I turned around, and noticed it was Alex, Rian, Lisa, and Zack.

“Gotcha, sucker! Hahaha, about to get it on with little Melanie here, eh? I bet you liked that Jacky,” Alex yelled. It was a good thing only the six of us were in the theater. If not, we would be close to getting our asses kicked out of the movies.

“I will fuck you up, motherfucker! I was this close, this close! And you fucking ruined it,” I said, doing that little bit with my fingers where you squish them together.

“Chill out, bro; gotta have something to do, Alyssa told us you and Melanie here were going on a first date tonight. Thought we might make it a little more “interesting”” Rian casually said, with that sly grin on his face.

“Well you know what, we’re just going to let you guys go back onto your date. Sorry for ruining it, the guys dragged me along with them. I tried to tell them not to ruin your guy’s private time in the hallway, but these stubborn heads wouldn’t just listen to me. Annoying right?” Lisa exclaimed, slapping the back of Rian and Alex’s heads, Alex’s being the hardest. “We’ll just sit in the back, and I’ll make sure that they won’t bother you any longer,” Lisa said with confidence. She dragged Alex and Rian to the back by their ears, having them complain with pain the whole time there, Zack following them.

“Well that was embarrassing,” I said, scratching the back of my head.

“S’alright. You know. I guess it just wasn’t meant to happen just yet.” Melanie awkwardly turned back her attention back to the screen.

We sat through the rest of movie, there was only about twenty minutes left of it.

I should say that after that incident, you could tell there was some awkwardness and tension between Melanie and me during that time.

Image

Alex, Rian, Lisa, Melanie, and I started shuffling our way out of the movie theater once the credits rolled on the screen. We all knew it was a good movie, and the ending had a good twist to it. While I was discussing about some of the scenes in the movie with Melanie, Alex tried to nonchalantly wrap his arm around Melanie and I, the key word being “tried.”

“Sup guys, had a nice date? Are you going to go back to Melanie’s house and sex her up?” Alex winked, being the usual pervert he was. Before I could tell him to fuck off, he went off on his own to Lisa, attempting to flirt with her, but you know it just wasn’t going to happen. My mind was beginning to think that Alex was desperate to have a girlfriend, but whatever.

“So, do you agree with Alex? Do you think it was a good date?” I asked, hoping she would say yes.

“Of course I did Jack, whenever it’s a date and you’re in it, I know it will be good. Do you mind going back to my place? My mom cooked spaghetti for dinner, and she thought it would be nice if you had dinner with us,” Melanie asked. “Also, she might interrogate you for a little bit, but don’t worry, all parents do it.”

Of course you know I said yes. On our way back, I did not have any ADD or driving problems anymore, which I was immensely thankful for.

Image

After Melanie and I both got out from my parent’s car, we both headed inside so we could eat and meet her parent. I was nervous to say the least. It’s not every day that someone like me gets to meet the parent of a girl I like, mainly because I haven’t even in the first place. My hands started to get clammy, and I was shivering more by the second.

Melanie opened the door this time, and we made it inside. I could smell the sweet fragrance of spaghetti roaming around in the living room and kitchen. I could instantly tell that Melanie’s mom was an excellent chef; well at least in Italian foods. She led me into the kitchen, where I spotted a petite woman, with her hair in a bun. She was as tall as Melanie.

“Hey Mom, this is Jack. The guy I was telling you about,” Melanie said, standing next to her.

Melanie’s mom automatically turned, sweat was dripping down her forehead from the heat of the stove. She smiled, gave the stirring spoon to Melanie, and came over to me. “Hi, my name is Olivia Anderson. It’s a very nice pleasure to finally meet you Jack,” She grasped and shook my hand tightly, like in a motherly way. “Melanie here has been talking about you ever since, and it’s nice to actually know what she’s talking about now,” Olivia laughed while Melanie hid her face and blushed. I chuckled at both of them.

“Jack, do you think you can stay for dinner? Melanie might have already told you, but I’m cooking spaghetti. I thought you’d like it.”

“Yeah, of course I would! It would be rude of me to leave.”

“Okay, great! The spaghetti will be ready in about…hmmm, a few minutes I suppose. Why don’t you and Melanie go hang out in the living room or something while I get ready?”

“Yeah, will do Mom,” Melanie said, dragging me along with her into the living room. We both sat down on the leather couch, it later making a ‘poof’ noise from the air being trapped inside it.

“You have a really nice house,” I commented, looking at Melanie. She just smiled as usual, taking my hand into hers. My face got red, and my cheeks were warm. I couldn’t believe that something right was going on in my life.

“Thanks. Mom and I decorated it ourselves. I say that I’m proud of it.”

“Kids! Or teenagers, I should say. The spaghetti is ready,” Mrs. Anderson exclaimed, calling us into the kitchen where three plates of newly-cooked spaghetti were. Melanie, Mrs. Anderson, and I all shuffled into our seats, me being next to Melanie, and her mom being across from us. While we waited for her to be seated, we stared at each other. Weird yes, but it was even amusing staring into her eyes. “Well, what are you waiting for? You don’t have to wait for me.”

Melanie shrugged, and then started swirling her spaghetti. I did the same, not wanting to make her think I was a total goody two shoes.

“So Jack,” Olivia said, taking a seat. “Melanie told me you guys went on a ‘date’ tonight. How did that go?”

“Splendid, it was one of the best dates in my life. Well, it’s the only one I’ve been on,” I shyly said, earning a chuckle from Olivia. We all ate our spaghetti in silence, once in a while sharing a funny comment or so. After we finished, Melanie’s mom insisted that we didn’t have to clean up, and just to head out. We did as we were told, and Melanie yet again dragged me into her room.

Her room was so neat, to say the least. Everything was in place, unlike my room which was all a mess everywhere. She even decorated her walls nicely, having a phrase on her wall, and twinkly lights surrounding it. Melanie told me to sit on her ruby colored bed, while she set us up some Blink-182. I was glad we had the same music taste.

“Hey. Melanie. I have to ask you something,” I said, making her turn around and face me. “Will you sit down with me first?”

“Sure.”

“Okay, so you know that I-I already like you a lot. Like a lot. I’ve had many crushes before, but I’ve never had a crush on a girl like you. You’re different. L-Like in a good way,” I stuttered out, holding her hands.

“Awe, thanks; you know that I like you too.”

“And I’ve wanted to ask you something since we went on that date,” I paused, taking a deep breath and relaxing for a bit before I did it.

“Melanie Anderson, will you be my girlfriend?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well hello guys. Can't you just tell that I'm the biggest liar ever?! Wow, I haven't updated for like about six months, I think that's a new record. I'm really really sorry I haven't been updating forever! I bet I've lost like 35234545 subscribers, but I'm thankful for the ones that have sticked on and been commenting. You guys mean a lot to me!

Now this time I won't promise that I will "try" to write more because we all know that it probably isn't true. I'll probably update when I have time or when I actually feel like writing. Maybe I haven't been updating cause I'm too lazy to write.

Also, Merry late Christmas and Happy New Years tomorrow guys. I hope you have/had a good one :D

Btw, ya'll should follow me on Tumblr, yeah?
My Tumblr

Love you guys<3