A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

A Gargoyle and an Octopus

*Iker POV*
I looked out of the bus as it drove to our next hotel and not surprisingly I saw about forty cars behind us, all trying to pull up close to get pictures. Most of the lenses were aimed at Ivy and I. The glass was tinted but that didn’t stop them from trying or the flashes from annoying us all.
“You just had to blow your cover.” Pepe popped his head over the seat to look at Ivy and me.
“Not my fault, Ivy was the one that hit my ass.”
“And you were the one that took my hand and showed them the ring,” Ivy said calmly without looking up from her computer. I knew she had already started looking for job opportunities in Madrid but was getting discouraged. Her Spanish was excellent now, her high school knowledge had come back and our practices had helped. Ivy’s grasp of the language was enough to let her have a conversation normally although once and a while she would still not know what a word meant. No, her communication wasn’t the problem it was that none of the places she called cared about hiring her until they realized that she was my wife. Then they were jumping all over themselves to hire her and get the publicity she was sure to bring.
I took her hand in mine and kissed her knuckles, “You’ll fine something.”
“It’s not looking good,” Ivy said sadly looking at me. I knew she didn’t want to a job because of her relation with me, she was too proud and good at her job to have to resort to it.
“You might not find anything today but one day you will, nena.” I closed her lap top and put it in my bag under the seat. “Now relax.”
She looked at me wearily, “This is looking a lot like the day we met. Stealing my stuff, hiding it, and then manipulating me into doing what you want.”
“And we’re going to Durban where it all started, what a coincidence,” I smirked.
“When you two are done reminiscing could you maybe think about how we’re going to get through the herd of crazy stampeding journalists when we get to our hotel?” David complained to all from a few places in front of us. “We barely got out of the club alive last time.”
I ran a hand over my face and tried not to think of the night the paparazzi had found out I had married Ivy. It had been a frenzy of bodies pressed close, frantic screaming, flashes that left us blinded, and journalist that wouldn’t leave us alone. Getting in a car to drive us away had been one of the hardest things imaginable. I had tried to shield Ivy from most of it but we had still ended up in the paper. All the articles were blowing it out of proportion, some saying we had done it because Ivy was pregnant or for Ivy to get a visa to live in Spain. The stories became more wild by the minute but what pissed me the most were the bets they were placing on how long our marriage would last, the most generous being six months. I was mad as hell but worried more about Ivy. Job searching was stressing enough but I knew that the paparazzi were getting to her. She was being hammered by them when I wasn’t with her and they would try to catch a baby bump on her, it wasn’t fun but it was bringing us close together. It was preparing her for a life of paparazzi and making it so we had to lean on each other for support. Our first test as a couple and we were passing.
Ivy leaned her head against my shoulder as we pulled into the same hotel that the Spanish team had been in all those weeks ago. I couldn’t believe that less than a month ago I hadn’t known Ivy. We both looked over at the two hotels and out meeting place with a smile. Ivy took my hand and laid our holding hands on her lap.
“I can’t believe we’re back,” she whispered.
“This time there’s no sneaking around.” I reminded her as the bus pulled to the front and already photographers were lined up.
“Too bad, it was fun.” Ivy smiled as we stood and I knew that though she hated the people waiting outside for us she would face them with me everyday for the rest of our life.
“If it was so fun you can sneak into my room tonight,” I grinned at her to distract her from the coming mob. She elbowed my stomach with a blush.
“Stop thinking about sex,” she said softly so my teammates wouldn’t overhear.
“If you admit that the plan doesn’t hold any interest to you,” I teased knowing that she couldn’t.
“I’ve married the most annoying man alive,” Ivy mumbled as we stood but I could see that the crowd was getting her a little nervous.
“But this husband will never let you go so you’re stuck,” I grabbed our bags and sung them over my shoulder and took hold of Ivy’s small hand as we exited the bus and into a den of lions.
*Ivy POV*
“Iker don’t roll your r,” I told him sitting up and turning around so I looked at him. We had been watching Inglorious Basterds when Iker had asked me to teach him some French. I had thought it a good idea since he was now part of my family and we all knew French.
“I know it’s not my fault.” Iker said in frustration as he tried to get me to lean back against his chest but I resisted.
“Then why aren’t you doing it?” I repeated the words that he had told me countless times when I had been the student and he the teacher.
“Because your language is strange and why would I do that weird noise in the back of my throat,” He rolled his eyes. “It doesn’t sound right.”
“You aren’t a very patient student,” I teased running my hand through his disheveled hair.
“I’m very pat—.” I cut him off by placing my hand over his mouth. He licked my palm so I let him go as he pulled me onto him so we faced each other.
“I’m the teacher so don’t roll your tongue,” I smiled.
“You guys have the strangest talks,” Sergio interrupted as he walked into the room followed by Fernando.
“You guys have the worst timing,” I replied sitting up.
“You better get up because David isn’t far behind and you know how he hates all your lovey dovey,” Fernando warned sitting on the chair and stretching his legs.
“I need to get a new roommate.” I heard Iker murmur as I stood and went to sit next to Olalla who was holding Nora. Olalla handed her to me when I asked, glad to have some freedom and went to sit in her husband’s lap.
“Isn’t David going to be mad at you two?” I asked smiling at Nora and seeing Iker step out of the room to take a phone call.
“Not when I have a secret weapon,” Fernando grinned running a hand along the back of Olalla.
“And what is that?” I said curiously as David walked in. Quickly Fernando put his wife in the chair he vacated and took Nora from me.
“What did I say about all the people in my room?” David looked up at the roof as if to get spiritual guidance.
“You would kick my little girl out of your room?” Fernando gasped with a straight face.
“Oh no,” David shook his head. “You are not using Nora to get out of this again.” Despite his words he melted like silly putty when Fernando handed his daughter to David and she placed both her hands on David’s cheeks, smiling lovingly at him.
“Damn it.” David gave in.
“Don’t swear in front of a baby!” Sergio covered Nora’s ears.
“You are all ridiculous,” I chuckled as I took Nora from the men and hugged her against me. I couldn’t help thinking what a beautiful little girl she was and wondering what it would be like when Iker and I had children. Would our child have his dark eyes? My brown hair? As I looked at the tiny hands and feet I knew that wanted to be a mother.
“Let me get her off your hands,” Olalla took her daughter and passed her back to Fernando with a look that said Nora was not to be a bargaining chip again. I wrapped my arms around me and looked up to find Iker leaning against the doorway, arms folded. He was studying me in that unwavering manner of his with those eyes that looked deep within me. I realized that he must have seen me with Nora and I questioned if he knew what I had been thinking. His eyes went black and that answered it.
I tried to keep the blush from spreading as Cesc entered the room and said that dinner was served. The guys, Ollala, and Nora moved out of the room but Iker entered it saying that we had to talk really quickly.
“Do you think they’re really going to come down?” I heard Cesc ask.
“Well you know what happened the last time there was a team dinner,” Sergio replied. They’re laughter and conversation stopped when Iker closed the door. I stood there awkwardly and bit my lip but knowing Iker knew I did it when I was uneasy I stopped.
“Ummm, is there something you wanted to say?” I asked trying to keep my heart at a normal rate when his gorgeous body moved to stand right in front of me. I hated when he took advantage of his sexy body to put my mind in jumbles.
“Do you want a baby Ivy?” he asked in a tone that a person used to discuss the weather not children and making one.
“I…Do you?” I asked not willing to admit what I had been thinking about earlier if I didn’t know what he was thinking. Iker didn’t say anything just took a lock of my hair and calmly wrapped it around one of his fingers. The way he was acting was putting me on edge and Iker’s composure was driving me mad. I looked in his eyes and comprehended that he was doing it on purpose to get me to talk first. “You are just mean.”
“It’s an important question mon coeur,” he spoke the last French endearment perfectly, without rolling his tongue. Don’t think of Iker’s tongue, I chided myself. You would think I had some self control or resistance against him but that wasn’t the case. I was about a second away from giving away anything he wanted me to.
“Yes, I want to have a baby.” I thought Iker would freak out about it, I knew a lot of guys didn’t really like commitment or the thought of a child. Iker wasn’t like them, he smirked. I should have expected that from a man that had proposed not even a month after our meeting and who was as special and amazing as he is.
He walked to the door and turned the lock. My mouth dropped as he grabbed my hand and led me to the bed.
“Iker,” I said when I found my voice again as he started unbuttoning my shirt. “I didn’t really mean right this second.”
“I know.” He helped me out of my shirt and then stripped his off. “It doesn’t hurt to start practicing.”
I giggled as we fell into bed.
*Iker POV*
I was spooning Ivy’s back as she played with our linked hands. I wanted to do this all the time, just lie in bed with her and have time pass in peace like this. I was her husband but so far besides our wedding night I hadn’t been able to sleep at her side the whole night through. It wasn’t possible but something I craved. I also knew that the guys would be coming back up soon and that we would have to get out of my bed soon and dress.
“So where do you want to go for our honeymoon?” I asked her.
“Honeymoon?” Ivy repeated confused.
“It’s something normal people do right after their wedding but we’ve had to put off because of my football.”
Ivy turned around and laid her head on my bicep at she snuggled close to me, “You want to go on a honeymoon after the World Cup?”
“Yeah,” I replied tucking her silky brown hair behind her ear. “For a week and then I can take you to Madrid so you can explore your new home before you have to go back to the States and get everything sorted.”
“It won’t work.”
“Why not?”
“Because when you win the World Cup you’ll be expected to go to Spain and be in parades and parties and make a lot of speeches.”
“Who said we’ll win?” I asked gently.
“I do.” Ivy laid a warm hand on my bare chest and leaned in to kiss me passionately. For a few minutes our honeymoon was forgotten and the only thing that mattered were the lips of my wife.
I pulled back, “Alright. If that happens will just switch the plan and go to Madrid first and then go on a honeymoon. So, where do you want to go?”
“You have to be a part of this decision too, is there a place you want to go?” Ivy asked.
“I’ve been all over the world Ivy, any place is good as long as you are there and happy.”
Ivy thought it through and then almost shyly said, “I’ve always wanted to go to Rome.”
“Rome it is.”
“Are you sure it’s okay with you?” I loved that she cared so much about making me happy more than herself.
“Si, it’s decided. A week in Rome just the two of us.” I kissed her deeply to seal the deal but had to stop when we heard noise outside the room which meant that they were done eating and David could be back any minute. We climbed out of bed and quickly pulled our clothes back on.
“Everything okay?” Ivy surprised me by asking as I pulled on my shirt.
“Yes, why?” I unlocked the door since we were both fully dressed now.
“I meant with your phone call before.”
Suddenly the call came rushing back to me and the news that I had been about to tell Ivy before I had become distracted by the sight of her holding Nora like she belonged with a baby in her arms.
“Don’t freak out,” I started, strolling over to place a hand of comfort on her shoulder. “But my mom and brother are coming tomorrow to see me play against Germany.”
“They are coming to South Africa?” Ivy squeaked.
“Yes.”
“As in I’ll going to have to meet your mother and brother?” I nodded trying to understand what was going through her mind. “Mon dieu!” she said in French and then louder in Spanish. “¡Dios mío!”
Sergio opened the door without knocking, “Oh my god what?”
*Ivy POV*
I let the warm water run down my body and tried to let all my fears and anxiousness go down the drain as well but couldn’t. Today I would meet Iker’s mother and brother. It was a scary situation whichever way you looked at it but that I was the woman that had caught Iker and married him in a short amount of time was a little suspicious. Mothers and their sons had special bonds and I had intruded on one which made the chances of his mother liking me very slim. His brother, Unai, sound like he would be nice but Iker’s father was still recovering and hadn’t been able to make it. He had insisted that Unai and his wife go cheer Iker in at least one match so that was why they were coming down from Madrid for two days.
I was trying not to talk myself out of going to pick them up from the airport when the door to the bathroom opened. I hadn’t bothered to lock it since Nani was out on a date with Sergio the whole day, which was a miracle according to her. I turned off the water and peered into the bathroom to find…
“Iker!” I yelled finding him leaning against the door. “What are you doing in here?”
“Making sure you don’t drown yourself,” he smiled and move close to the shower as I kept the curtain in front of me. I knew it was silly when he had seen me naked before but I was a shy person. “I’ve been in the room for thirty minutes and I was starting to get worried.”
At the moment he didn’t look worried at all. He was looking at my damp hair and the bare arm that was holding the curtain in front of my body. His eyes were full of mischief as he tried to get me to let go of the curtain.
“It’s not polite to walk in on someone’s shower time,” I scolded at him as I tried not to giggle when he gave up on the curtain and instead slipped his hands around it to caress my bare, wet back.
“Well it’s also not polite to not invite your husband to shower time,” Iker smirked devilishly as his hand went lower.
“Iker! That is why you are not a saint!” I managed to keep hold of the curtain and slap his hand away. “Now go wait outside.”
Looking like I had deprived him of delicious candy he closed the door. I quickly put my underwear and bra on before blow drying my hair. Then I walked out of the bathroom and Iker whistled in appreciation.
“Calm yourself,” I said as I rummaged through my drawers to find I good outfit. Iker didn’t move from his position against my pillows, arms behind his head as he watched me. I would have been shy any other time but I was too worried on finding an outfit. I asked Iker for his advice but if he had it his way I wouldn’t wear anything so he wasn’t much help. A pile of discarded clothes was already all over the floor and the bed but still I couldn’t find anything. I peeked into Nani’s drawers since she had told me what was hers was mine but I still nothing.
I made a frustrating sound as Iker said, “Is this how all women act when they are looking for something to wear? Throwing everything everywhere?” I gave him a look but he didn’t stop. “No wonder you all take forever to get dressed, after you’ve found the perfect outfit you have to put every other piece of your clothing away.” I threw the rolled up shirt I had in my hands at him but he caught it with a satisfied smile. Curse those goalie reflexes, I thought. “I don’t mean to rush you but my family’s flight lands in an hour and we still have to drive there.”
“Could you help?” I said totally at a loss. Everything I had wasn’t fancy enough or to fancy or didn’t cover enough of my skin, it was horrible.
“You don’t even take my advice,” he protested. He looked handsome in dark pants and a white dress shirt while I was still in my underclothes.
“It helps if you say it anyway.”
“Women,” Iker said in exasperation as he got up.
“Where are you going?” I asked. “I still have a problem.”
“And as your husband I will fix it, now wait here.” He walked out of the door and I sat on the bed in defeat. I had to wait fifteen minutes before Iker returned with a bag. I stood up eagerly when he handed me the bag. I lifted out a beautiful summer dress that was dark blue with a floral print. Holding it against me it was the perfect size, it went to just above the knee and had a square neckline. “You can wear that with your little black cotton jacket and your navy pumps.”
“Where did you get it?” I asked in wonder.
“A little shop across the street that I saw on our way over to the hotel.”
I smiled at how perfect it would be. It was still my style and young but appropriate to met your mother-in-law. “Have a told you how much I love you Iker?”
“You could say it more, and that I’m a genius.”
“I love you my genius husband,” I kissed him and then went to finish getting dressed.
*Iker POV*
Ivy was biting her lip and fidgeting next to me as we waited at the crowded airport for my family to cross customs. A few people came up to me for autographs but most just passed by us with huge grins when they saw me. I was glad that they were too busy trying to catch their flights to really care about me but there was still security in a corner that was making sure that no one got too crazy or for when the paparazzi came which they were sure to at any moment. Sure enough I saw the flash of cameras from outside because security wouldn’t let them in.
“It’s going to be fine,” I reassured Ivy, taking her hand. “You look beautiful.”
“I think I’m going to vomit.”
“You’d still be beautiful to me.”
She tried to hit me but I dodged the move, “I’m being serious.”
“So am I,” I grinned when I saw the corner of her mouth lift.
Ivy looked up at me with a little fear in her eyes, “What if they don’t like me?”
“They’ll love you,” I gave her a bright smile in support.
“Please don’t make out in public that would be so gross,” came a familiar voice.
I turned and grinned, “Still haven’t learned any manners Unai.”
“Nah, doesn’t even help that my brother is supposedly a saint.” I pulled my brother in for a hug.
“It’s good to see you.”
“It’s good to see you here in South Africa,” he teased as he pulled away. He was speaking in English and I knew it was because he thought Ivy didn’t speak Spanish. I was happy that he was considerate enough to show he cared about my new wife. “Thought for sure we were goners after that Switzerland game. The Swiss are weak! How could you have let it happen!?” I cleared my throat and looked over at Ivy. My brother actually blushed, “What a mean was…Hi, I’m Unai and ignore what I just said. Oh yeah, and welcome to the family!”
“I’m Ivy, it’s a pleasure.” Unai gave her a hug and I saw her eyes widened.
Unai pulled back, “Any woman that can beat Iker at xbox is alright in my book.”
“Hey! I didn’t tell you about that,” I frowned.
“I do talk to other people on the Spanish team besides you,” Unai rolled his eyes.
“Sergio,” I guessed. “He can’t keep his mouth shut.”
“You’re just angry because you aren’t the best anymore,” Ivy smiled more laid back.
“I like her.” Unai slapped my back.
“Where’s mom?”
“In the bathroom.”
“I’m here,” my mom said in Spanish as she came into view. “Don’t talk about me like I’m not here.”
“Sorry mom,” my brother and I said in unison.
“It’s great to see you,” I said in English because I knew she could understand me and I wanted to see if she would extend the same courtesy as Unai had to Ivy.
“I’ve missed you Iker,” she replied in Spanish as she kissed my cheeks. I sighed, this was going to be harder than I imagined. I had thought she had gotten over the whole marriage thing but apparently not.
“Mom this is my wife Ivy,” I introduced. Ivy opened her mouth to say something but my mother got there first.
“So this is the woman that has stolen you’re heart.” She looked coldly at Ivy. “She doesn’t look like much. Too skinny to give you sons, not very pretty or exotic looking. I bet she can’t make one Spanish dish for you.”
“I will try my hardest to learn some dishes. Maybe you can even teach me,” Ivy replied instead of me.
My mother’s eyes widened a bit when Ivy spoke in Spanish but wasn’t impressed, “She can’t speak Spanish very well either.”
“I’ll learn,” Ivy said determinedly. I brought her closer to me as if I could shield her from my mom’s harsh words.
“I like Sara better,” my mother had the nerve to say as I felt Ivy stiffen beside me.
“That was a low blow mom. Sara and I are over.” I was going to say more but stopped when Ivy put her hand on my chest to tell me that it wasn’t worth it. Like hell it wasn’t worth it! She was my wife and I wasn’t going to let anyone, even my mother, talk to her that way.
I opened my mouth but froze when Ivy whispered, “Please, I have to handle this.”
I nodded and said instead, “Let’s go.”
My mother ignored Ivy’s presence the whole way to the car, chatting in Spanish on everything that had happened in Madrid since I had left.
As she talked I leaned close to Ivy, “I’m sorry about this. I was sure she would be nicer.”
“Well she did say one nice thing.”
“Really, I must have not heard,” I responded mockingly.
“She called me skinny,” Ivy smiled.
“I think you’re more curvy.”
“Curvy is a nice way to say fat.”
“No it means that you are not a walking stick.” I can’t believe I had ever been attracted to anyone that didn’t have curves like Ivy. I looked at her hips and remembered holding them in passion and her beautiful, shapely legs tangled with mine. It was nice to be able to be rough in bed without having to worry about breaking your partner.
“Iker, you’re mother is here,” Ivy hissed at me knowing exactly what I was thinking about. I grinned, not ashamed in the least.
“Hurry up you two,” Unai yelled holding open the elevator. We sped up and entered it and I looked over at Ivy to see determination written on her face. I smiled inwardly because I knew Ivy hadn’t given up on my mom.
My mother was in trouble.
*Ivy POV*
“How are things going with the gargoyle?” Carla asked as I collapsed in the chair next to her while Iker talked to his brother and teammates across the room.
“Gargoyle?” I repeated in confusion. We were waiting for the rest of the team to make their way downstairs for a special dinner since Iker’s mother, Maria, and brother were here. The Spanish team was like a huge family and everyone wanted to see them.
“Gargoyle,” Carla said again as she gave a pointed look at Iker’s mom who was chatting with David and Gerard.
“I’m not sure what I can do anymore besides falling on my knees and begging Maria to like me,” I confessed. I had spent the entire day trying to get her to approve of me. Iker had taken us to a fancy restaurant so his family could get to know me. Already I knew I was going to be close to Unai, he was everything I had ever wanted in a sibling. Unai was funny, caring, and loyal and we found common ground with our love of the band Within Temptation. Already he was teasing me like a real brother and I was doing it back to him. It was even fun to gang up on Iker and learn all his embarrassing stories from childhood. The only thing that was dampening the good mood was his mother.
She hated me and I had idea why. She refused to speak or respond to anything but Spanish so I had to call upon all my lessons to communicate with her. I complemented her, asked her things about herself, tried desperately to find something to connect us but was at loss. Iker’s mother was dead set on hating me and kept asking me question that I seemed to be failing when I answered. Nothing I did was right and I didn’t know why.
“That won’t work,” Carla said not catching on to the fact that I was kidding.
“All mothers are like that with their sons,” Patricia said from next to me as she kept an eye on her children playing on the floor. “Spanish mothers especially. They don’t think anyone is perfect enough for their sons and fight you every step of the way. They can’t get over the fact that they aren’t the only woman in their life anymore.”
“How long did it take you to convince your mother-in-law to like you?” I asked in hope.
“Who said I had?” When she saw my crestfallen look she quickly said, “I was joking. She started liking me about a year after I married David.”
“But you’re childhood sweethearts, hadn’t she seen you a lot over the years?”
“Yes.” Patricia gave me an apologetic look. “You’ll find a way to make it work.”
I ran a hand down my face, “It’s impossible then.”
“Maybe you should just talk to her and ask why she hates you,” Carla suggested.
“Isn’t that a little straightforward?” I asked.
“Straightforward is what you need if you want her to like you before she leaves,” Calra pointed out as she waved her boyfriend over. I stood and let Cesc have my seat, gathering my courage to take Carla’s advice. I looked at Iker as I walked past him and he must have guessed what I had been about to do because he gave me a loving smile that eased some of my nerves. No matter what I knew that Iker still loved me.
“Excuse me,” I went up to Maria when she finished her conversation with the boys. “Can I have a word with you?”
“If you must,” she said her smile fading when she saw that it was me. We walked out into the hall out of the dining room so that no one could hear us.
I took a deep breath said bluntly, “Why do you hate me?”
“You really want to know?”
“Yes.”
“Because my son has made a huge mistake in marrying you, a girl he only met a few weeks ago. He cannot know you in that short amount of time. You have both rushed into this too early and will regret it.” Her eyes narrowed. “Marriage is hard, there will be many scarifies. Can you make them?”
“I’m moving to Madrid,” I answered and I could see that the announcement surprised her. “I grew up around football, I know what it means. I am moving to be with Iker and getting a new job there. We know it’s going to be hard but we’ve talked about it.” Did she seriously think that we had done all this on a whim? We weren’t stupid children getting hitched but grownups who knew what to expect.
“You couldn’t have waited a few months?” she shook her head. “It is all too fast.”
“It’s not fast to us.”
“You aren’t even Spanish but an…American,” she said the last like it left a bitter taste in her mouth.
“I’m also Swiss so just think of me as European.” I let the American thing drop, there was time latter to defend the few Americans that weren’t that bad.
“I don’t think you are good enough for Iker.” Silence fell between us because I didn’t have an argument for that. Iker was an amazing man: kind, handsome, funny, loving, and dedicated. Was she right? I was just a girl from Chicago that loved her job and football. What could I really offer a man like that? Love, I thought. But she wouldn’t see it as enough so I didn’t say anything. “You won’t push him to do more because you are a simple woman with simple dreams and those are fine but Iker needs someone who will be behind him and bring out the best in him.” For once her cold façade dropped and she put a hand on my shoulder. I could see a glimpse of the mother that was just trying to protect her son in her eyes. “I’m sorry Ivy.”
Maria left me standing in the hallway like an idiot. I was angry at her words but also sad. I was never going to leave Iker as she was trying to get me to do but I was going to regret not having a close relationship with her. She was a strong and loyal woman that could have taught me a lot. I went back into the room when I had gathered my thoughts and sat beside Iker and Patricia. One look at my face gave the end of the conversation away and Iker took my hand under the table. I smiled softly at him, knowing it was as tough on him as it was on me. To be between a mother and a wife was a difficult. We had just started eating your salads when Sergio and Nani showed up.
“We’re here,” Nani said. “Sorry we’re late.”
“We had a little Ivy and Iker moment,” Sergio smirked while Iker tried to catch his eyes and tell him to shut up. “Wow, they actually made it all the way to the dining room this time and didn’t stop at the bedroom.”
I let my head fall into my hands at the disapproving gaze Maria gave me and Unai’s chuckle. Now not only was I the American that wasn’t good enough for her son but I was a slut too. This is just great, I thought. Anytime the earth is ready to swallow me up would be a good time.
“Sergio,” Nani hissed as she spotted Iker’s mother.
“What?” Sergio’s mouth dropped when Iker’s mother waved at him. “Oh…hi Maria.”
“Did you guys have a nice date?” asked Iker noticeably changing the subject. Sergio babbled on about where they had went while our salad was taken away and replaced by the main course. Sergio and Pepe kept the table laughing and distracted from Iker and I which I was grateful for. I couldn’t eat though and excused myself to go to the bathroom and have a moment. Nani announce she would come with and we exited the room.
“I’ll kick Sergio’s ass for you tonight,” Nani vowed as she linked our arms. “I’m so sorry.”
“It doesn’t matter,” I told her. “Maria already hated me so her thinking I’m a whore isn’t much worse.”
“Maybe she’ll see that you and Iker love each other when she’s gotten over the whole fast wedding,” Nani responded as we pushed open the door to the bathroom and just fixed our hair.
“Like you’re grandma,” I raised my eyebrow in doubt.
“As the French say, ‘Touché’.” I was tucked my hair back into my bun at the same moment that I heard a commotion.
“What’s that?” Nani asked hearing the same thing.
“Don’t know.” We opened the door to hear loud voices and screaming from the left…our dining room. A panicked yell that I recognized as Patricia reached our ears. We looked at each other and then sprinted down the hallway and threw the doors open. Everyone was crowded around my seat and I pushed my way through to find a pale David and Patricia holding on tightly to a tearstained Olaya. Everyone looked shaken up as the whole team looked at Iker in wonder.
“Thank you,” Patricia looked up at Iker like he really was a saint.
“It was nothing,” Iker said shyly as he smoothed down the hair of Olaya.
“What happened?” Nani asked.
“It was insane!” Sergio replied but for once without enthusiasm but more in relief. “Iker saved Olaya.” We gave him blank looks so he added. “She was choking on a piece of her toy and turned all purple. Everyone was freaking out because you can’t do the heimlich on a baby and Iker just took control and held her up and hit her back until she spit it out.”
“Oh, my god.” I turned to Iker who looked as stunned as everyone else at what he had just done. I took his hand in both of mine and he was able to focus on me and come back.
“How did you do that?” asked his mother.
“Shit, it was amazing!” cried Unai.
“Ivy,” Iker said quietly looking at me instead of his mother. “I remembered how you hit Akanni on the back when he didn’t breath during the birth and I hoped it would work here.”
“It worked,” I smiled wide and gave him a tender kiss. “You’re learning fast from me.”
“You’re a good influence.” After the near death of Olaya and the stress of the game tomorrow everyone agreed to separate for the night. Patricia and David took their two girls to their room and I could tell that David would be sleeping with his family tonight. They thanked Iker again and again as did the whole team. I was going up with Iker when a hand on my arm made me look back to find Maria.
“Can I speak to you please?” It was the tone of voice and the fact that she had spoken in English that made me stop and nod. Iker and his brother left us and soon we were alone.
“I want to apologize for my behavior,” she surprised me by saying. “What I saw in there made me change my mind about you and my son.”
“I don’t understand.” What had happened to make her see what Iker and I had?
“I saw a man that let all his fear go and acted. I saw a man that was sure of what he needed to do and did it. I saw a man that was in love with you.” Maria smiled warmly at me. “You have already had a huge impact on Iker I suspect not only in his football but in his life. I was blinded by my fear of letting my son go to the love and trust you share together. I’m sorry and I hope that maybe you will let me teach you some Spanish dishes when you come to Madrid.”
“I would like nothing more.” I smiled and hugged my mother-in-law.
*Iker POV*
I had no idea what had been said after we had eaten last night but all of a sudden my mother and Ivy were getting along. They chatted comfortably with each other as we awaited the bus that would take us to the stadium to arrive. I’d had to rub my eyes to make sure that I wasn’t hallucinating but the truth was in front of me. My mother and wife were laughing together.
“She is really something to get to mom so fast,” Unai said. “Why did you have to get married?”
I chuckled, “I thought you liked Ivy?”
“I do it’s just now mom will expect me to get married to someone as wonderful as your wife and she will nag and make me miserable until a do it,” Unai grumbled.
“Better start looking for the unfortunate woman then.”
“I hate you.”
“Hate you too, now I’ve got to go.” The families were being brought to the game a few hours later with a different bus but the team was expected to be there early so we could warm up.
“Good luck.” I walked over to the two women in my life who also wished me luck.
“You defeated Germany two years ago at the Euro Cup and you can do it again,” Ivy said as she kissed me and cupped my cheek.
“Should I go left again if in doubt?” I asked tempted to nuzzle against her hand.
“Iker! Time to beat the Germans again!” Gerard yelled.
“We can do it without you if you want and I can take your place,” Pepe said cheerfully.
“You still have Victor ahead of you,” I replied.
“Damn! Hey Victor, want to fall down some steps for a brother in need.”
“You wish,” Victor shrugged off Pepe’s arms.
“Yes I do,” Pepe placed his hands over his heart in hope.
“Don’t jinx Victor, I’m coming.” I laughed, hugging Ivy and jogging to them. We were able to make our way through the usual crowd of paparazzi and unto the bus without too much trouble although one of them tried to jump me.
“Teaches you a lesson about keeping secrets,” Carles said.
“Leave the guy alone,” David said who looked better this morning.
“How’s Olaya and Patricia?” I asked concerned about them.
“They’re both shaken up and won’t be able to make it to the game but I don’t mind as long as they get better.”
“Where’s Sergio?” asked Del Bosque. I looked around astonished that I hadn’t even realized that his loud mouth wasn’t talking.
“He said something about checking something on the internet,” Fernando replied.
“I am going to kill that boy.”
“You should cut his hair,” Xabi suggested. “That would be worse than death to him.”
Everyone laughed but stopped when Sergio finally showed up.
“It’s okay guys!” he yelled. “I checked the computer and the psychic octopus, Paul said we would win so we’re all good!”
We all rolled our eyes.
*Ivy POV*
“God I hope that octopus is right,” Unai muttered from the seat next to me as the German side started to wake up and push forward. Iker had just had to make a save against a low ball from Trochowski. The Spanish had dominated the first half hour with plenty of chances but no delivery. Now Germany was starting to get use to Spain and pushing closer to Iker and his net.
“What are you talking about?” I said keeping my eye fixed on the game.
“There is this octopus in Berlin that can tell which team will win and he predicted Spain,” he explained.
“An octopus cannot see the future,” his mother said from my right. “But I hope in this case he’s right.”
I smiled at her, glad that we were now getting along. Just before half time there was a close call from a challenge by Sergio on Klose as he went to ground but thankfully the referee waved play on.
Half time went by fast with the three of us holding hands and just hoping that something would happen to send Spain to the finals. I wanted my friends and my husband to have the chance to win the World Cup.
“This is so nerve-racking you would think I’d be use to it by now,” Maria said watching Iker as closely as me.
“I haven’t either and never will.” I squeezed her hand and we looked back at the game. There was a almost a Spanish goal very early on in the second half but Pedro missed the hit. In the sixty-ninth minute again Iker saved Spain from going down one.
It was finally little more than fifteen minute till the end that our prayers were answered…by Carles! They set up a corner kick by Xavi who kicked the ball into the box where Carles headed it in for a goal. The Spanish fan screamed in triumph and I jumped up and down hugging Maria and Unai as well as the rest of the girls.
They only had to keep the lead for a few more minutes and they did. My heart swelled with happiness, my team was going to the finals!
*Iker POV*
“Never doubt the power of the octopus!” screamed Sergio in delight. I laughed from my spot in the locker room. It hadn’t sunk in yet that we were going to the finals.
“I could kiss it right now!” Gerard jumped around like a little kid. Pepe was singing and everyone was in good cheer.
“We’re fucking going to the World Cup final!” Carles smiled widely as we all whooped and worshipped him as our hero. He was loving the attention and I laughed when he went to the showers.
“Hey, should we tell him the queen is coming?” Cesc whispered.
“Nope,” I chuckled. Del Bosque had told us that the Queen wanted to congratulate us in the locker room but Carles seemed to have forgotten that in his excitement.
“That’s going to be fun,” smirked Fernando. The Queen arrived and we were all dressed for her. We shook hands and she told us what a fine job we had done and how proud the royals were of us. It was in the middle of this that Carles showed up in his towel. I stifled a snicker at the shocked look on his face and looked around to see all the guys trying not to burst out laughing. It was hilarious to watch the red face of Carles and the Queen but they got through it and then she left.
“You are all assholes!” Carles said as we let our laughter ring in the locker room. Tears came to my eyes because of how funny it was as Carles swore at us.
“Carles,” Del Bosque entered the room. “Next time you meet royalty you might want to put some clothes on.”
“Agreed coach,” Carles glared at us.
I chuckled and grabbed my things, ready to celebrate with my mom, brother, and Ivy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like!
Comments please:D