The Good Day

Say It Ain't So

" Want you to break up with Max."

That didn't take long. Kelsey was actually quite rlieved that she wasn't going to play nice before getting to the point of their get together.

Looking directly into Dixy's stunning eyes Kelsey said, "And why on Earth would I want to do that?"

"Because he doesn't really like you." Dixy said simply. You see, I went to Max's house the other day, because he asked me to, of course. Anyway; I ran right over. He told me that he wanted to break up with you- the stress of your... situation is just too much for him. The thing is, though, he doesn't want to do it until all this is over, so you don't have to deal with any more."

Dixy said everything perfectly. Had max not already told her what was going one, Kelsey may have believed her. But Max had, and Kelsey didn't.

"Really, because Max spun me a completely different tale." Kelsey had her hands folded, and eyes closed, trying to appear confident. "Frankly, I trust him more."

She looked at Kelsey, a smug smile on her face. "You know, Kelsey, I heard what happened to you. It's horrible, really."

Kelsey sat up straight, eyes narrowed, glaring at Dixy. "Yeah, but I'm starting to come around." She rested her hand on her stomach. She'd started doing that whenever someone mentioned what happened.

Dixy's smile grew even more. "Well, wouldn't it be horrible if something else happened, too?"

Kelsey's eyes stung from holding back tears. "What are you saying?"

"Just to be careful. You seem to just attract trouble." Dixy took a sip of her coffee, and with a flick of her hair she walked away.

Kelsey sat there, shaking, clutching her coffee for another twenty minutes. After thinking of all the horrible things Dixy might do to her, she was able to calm herself down. She did it. Just like she hurt Max, she had someone attack me...

She pulled out her cell phone and called Detective Frier. "Hey, can you check someone out for me?"
She heard him mumble something about Max, but she wasn't paying any attention. " She just threatened me. Please, just look into it."

"Kelsey, are you sure she was threatening you?"

"Of course I am!" She exclaimed. "Her name is Dixy Ray. Please, just look into it. If for nothing else, just to rule her out."

He agreed, and Kelsey whiped the tears from her face. "Thank you." She hung up and immediately called her father. "Hey, Daddy."

"Hey Baby Girl. What's going on?"

"Just having a rough day. Can I stay with you tonight?"

He paused for a moment. " Of course you can. Where are you? When I'm done with my meeting I'll come pick you up."

"I'm at a coffee shop, but pick me up at Max's."

"Alright, I love you, Kelsey."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I've had total writers block on this book. I'm happy to have it up and rolling again, though!