The Good Day

#3

Max didn't wait for Kelsey's parents to come pick her up. He grabbed her in his arms, and put her in the back seat of his car, so she could lay down. She didn't go to sleep though, like he thought she would have. Instead she studied him.
He looked pissed off. She was sure he wasn't mad at her. He just over all looked ready to take on the world. “I'm so sorry I let this happen to you, Kelsey.” He didn't mean for her to hear him, but she did. His voice was no more than a whisper, but it was so filled with sorrow and remorse, it hit her as if he had yelled it. He was clutching the steering wheel so tight, his knuckles were white. When they got to a red light, he turned around to look at her, and caught her gaze.
“How you holding up back there?” His eyes looked so sad. She wished she could make it all better.
“I'm okay. Sorry, this probably wasn't your idea of a good date.” She tried to give a giggle, but it came out more as a gurgle. And she coughed up some blood onto newspaper on the floor.
“Aw, Babe, I'm so sorry it hurts. Just lay back down and don't talk.” He wasn't making a suggestion.
Kelsey put her head down on the seat. All together, it took them about a half an hour. The roads were really bad, and it felt like they hit every red light they passed. A few of Kelsey's scars re-opened, and started bleeding again. Luckily it wasn't too bad.

No one was there when Kelsey and Max arrived. Kelsey was rushed to the ER. She didn't catch a lot of what the doctors were spewing at Max, but he looked worried, so she figured she should be too. Apparently, along with her cuts, she had internal bleeding. And, since she had passed out in the ally, and had no idea what happened, they were performing a rape kit.
They had to put Kelsey under for an operation or two. Great, she thought, I'm going to pass out for the THIRD time today. And then she was gone.