The Good Day

Daddy Dearest

Ch 5-
When Kelsey woke up, everyone was in the room. Max was crouched next to her bed, holding her hand. Gigi, and Megan, were sitting in chairs, asleep. Jake was on the floor, also asleep. Mom and (Kelsey assumed) her boyfriend were outside the room, with Max's parents, talking to the doctor. Her mother was crying.
Did the operation not go well?
She looked down at herself. All of her cuts had either been glued back together, or stitched up. She didn't know what it felt like to bleed internally, so she figured they fixed that too. But why was her mother crying?

When the door clicked open, Megan's head shot up, colliding with Gigi's, making Gigi kick out and hit Jake. Everyone was awake now, that was for sure. It was a wonder how all these people fit in her small room. The doctor filed everyone out of the room, all except Kelsey's mom, and her boyfriend, and Max, who refused to leave her side.
It was just them in the room, and Kelsey's mother was still crying. So Mom's boyfriend did all of the talking.
“Sweetie, I'm so happy that you're finally awake!” He came over and kissed Kelsey's forehead. “ I was worried about you. What happened that night?”
“Ummm, if you don't mind my asking, who are you?” She looked innosently up into the man's eyes. “I mean, I get that you're Carri's boyfriend, but I've never met you before.”
“Ahh, of course! Sorry for being so rude! My name is Eli Weller. And, soon, I'm going to be more than just you're mother's boyfriend.” He gave a loving smile to Kelsey's mom. And she gave a weak smile to him in return. “ I proposed to your mother three days ago.
Shock overwhelmed Kelsey. How could her mother not say anything? “Ho-how long have I been out?” Surely it couldn't have been more than a couple hours. After all, the doctors only gave her enough gas to put her out for the operation.
Kelsey's mother stopped crying long enough to gush at Kelsey. “Oh, Darling! You've been out for 4 weeks! We've all been so worried about you. You were supposed to come out of your coma a few minutes after they fixed you up, but you wouldn't wake up! Baby, I was so scared!” then she burried her face into Eli's shoulder, and started to sob again.
“I don't know what happened that night. All I remember is finding Brian, going to Max's house, and then waking up here. Am I forgetting anything?” She looked from Eli, to Max, as if she would find the answer to what happened in their faces.
Eli walked Kelsey's mother to one of the chairs, and sat her down, then turned to face her once again. “Kelsey, you really don't remember?”
Kelsey raked her mind for anything she might remember, but came up empty handed. “Nope, not a thing.”
Eli's face was very grave. “Kelsey, you're rape kit came up positive.” Kelsey seemed to be falling, Max put a hand on her shoulder, so she wouldn't pass out, again. “Not for fluids, or anything. I don't know the specifics.” Carri gave a wail, and covered her face with her hands. Kelsey herself, didn't know what to do, so she turned to Max, and hugged him.
The doctor cracked the door open, “Um, I'm sorry to interupt, but you have another visitor.”
“Oh yes,” Carri sniffled, “I forgot, I called your grandmother.”
But when the person walked in, it wasn't Kelsey's grandmother. In fact, Kelsey didn't know who it was. But he looked just like her. An uncle? But by her mother's reaction, she knew right away who it was.
“What in hell's name are you doing here? Get out! Get out now!” Carri's eyes were rimmed red from crying, but her face was beginning to turn the same shade. “Kyle Baker, get out!”
Kyle Baker...
“I got a call from your mother, about five minutes ago. I was on my way to the house anyway. I came to see my daughter.” He glowered at Carri. He looked over at Kelsey, and gave a sad smile, then he looked at Max, and smiled like a super star. “And who is this young man?”
Max stood up, and shook his hand. “Max, sir. I'm Kelsey's --” He gave her a questioning look, and she gave him a nod. “I'm her boyfriend.” Kelsey could hear the pride under Max's words.
Kelsey's mother's face was still red, and she looked like she was going to kill someone. Kelsey had only seen this side of her mother once, and she didn't like it. “I want you out now, Kyle. Now.” Her father looked sad, and was about to withdraw from the room, but Kelsey spoke up.
“Mom, no.” Her mother didn't seem to hear her, so she rose her voice. “Mom, I said no! I want him to stay with me.” Her mother heard her now, and she looked hurt. Like Kelsey did something that betrayed her. But at the moment, Kelsey didn't care about her mother's feelings. She needed her Daddy. “ I need him to stay with me. I need my father.” Carri's face was completely shattered. She didn't look heart broken, or hurt. She didn't even look mad. Her face was a mask, emotionless.
“Whatever you say, Darling.” There was no emotion in her voice either, like no one was living in her soul. “Come on, Eli, Max. Let's give them some alone time.”
Everyone left the room, leaving Kelsey staring into the face of the father she never knew.