Balloons, Fans and Pasties

4.

My alarm went off and I nearly threw it at the wall. I did not want to get up. Today I had to go to work and spend the whole day with Emily. If she even had the slightest suspicion that I was Miss Lynda Love I don’t know what I would do. I had to face her eventually and avoiding seeing her may just arouse suspicion.

When I arrived at work Emily was sitting behind the counter flicking through a magazine. She looked rather bored as there were no customers and the shop was clean. “Hey Em, how was last night?”

“Hey Sam, last night was amazing! Miss Lynda Love was just as good as what everyone was telling me. You have to go see it some time.”

“Yea I should.”

“Oh, and you know that Matt guy I was telling you about? The one that went to the show with
me last night?”

“You never said his name was Matt, but yes. What about him?” I asked, pretending to be interested. I didn’t want to be with anyone at the moment and I knew she would insist on us going on a date.

“Well, he’s coming here with a friend later today. I’ll introduce you two, and maybe I can arrange a date for you.” She said, lightly nudging her elbow into my ribs.

“Oh, cool.” I said as a customer walked in and placed an order. Emily didn’t realise I was Miss Lynda Love, my disguise had worked.

Three hours later Emily called out to me “He’s here Sam!” I left the dishwasher to be introduced to this Matt guy. He was tall, muscular with curly light brown hair; he had the typical pretty-boy look. I would say he was attractive if I didn’t hate pretty boys so much. I was more attracted to men who are at least ten years older than me and quite often had achieved nothing in life. I don’t know why I was attracted to men like that, but I was. Next to Matt was another man, obviously the friend that Emily had said was coming too. He had short dark hair and appeared to be a few years older than Matt. His cheap, unfashionable clothes showed that he obviously wasn’t doing too well in life. He was exactly what I am usually attracted to, but I couldn’t help but think I had seen him before, but where? This was going to bug me all day.

“Yes Em?” I asked.

“This is my friend Matt.” She said, gesturing towards the pretty boy.

“Lynda?” His friend asked. I had seen him before; he was the man from last night. Chris I think his name was.

“No...I’m Sam, you must have me confused with someone else.” What was I supposed to do now? A man who clearly recognised me as Lynda was standing in front of me trying to let my secret be heard by the entire world.

“Oh, I could have sworn you were Miss Lynda Love.” Said Chris.

“What? She doesn’t look a thing like her! You’re friends crazy Matt.” Emily said, looking confused. Maybe this wouldn’t end as badly as I thought it would.

“Don’t say that about my best friend! Anyway, we’ll have two double strength cappuccinos in mugs thanks.” I walked off as Emily took their order.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment/subscribe. I'll love you forever if you do.
Thank you so much to the wonderful people who have commented and subscribed so far.
I just changed the dialogue at the end a little bit just to make it a bit easier to read.