Status: WORKING ON IT

This Love Will Be Our Downfall

Sechs

Running into Hanna was the worst possible thing ever to happen.

As soon as I heard her voice, I felt like I was going to puke.

“Well well well what do we have here?” Hanna said. Both Lizzie and I tensed.

“Oh hey!” Lizzie said with a smile. 

“Oh please cut the bullshit you Polish whore. You know look really cute with that whole what? 10 pounds you gained. I bet Patrick is really into fatties. Did you check Lane Byrant for some clothes! I think they have size heffer in! But this is really cute. Patrick Kane’s fuck up and the girl that is in love with my soon to be fiancé.”

My heart stopped. Fiancé?

“Go choke on a fucking dick, Hanna.” Lizzie said.  

Hanna kept egging her on. “That just gets you in trouble doesn’t it Elizabeth? I mean after all too much Kane dick got you pregnant right or is that even his baby?”  

“Where do you get off?” I stared at her. 

“Oh wouldn’t you like to know. I noticed that you are in Chicago. Are you gonna try and get Brent to fall in love with you? I mean you can try the route your friend went down by being a total whore, but look at what happened to her. She is having a baby that probably should have been aborted since the first day she found out.”

“Hey Hanna! That shirt is really cute? Did you get it from Walmart? The cheap cotton and leggings goes great with your bad makeup job and terrible dye job. Did you do it yourself?” Lizzie retorted. 

Hanna laughed. “You’d be shopping at Walmart right now if it wasn’t for your boyfriend.”

“Oh wrong again you good for nothing twat. See no matter what I do I make thousands of dollars. I could sit on my pretty little ass the whole god damn day and still at the end of the month have twenty thousand dollars to blow on stupid shit. Does Brent know the last time you went Manor some dive fucking guido shithole you fucked a guy that looked like someone from the fucking Jersey Shore? OR that one time you followed me to Enclave when I was with one of my friends from out of town to just make sure someone was gonna be by Patrick that night to try and get him to leave me? Your life is a fucking joke now get the fuck out of me way, before I make you move.”

I grabbed Lizzie by the arm. “Calm down killer. Hanna, I think it is time for you to move on.”

Hanna rolled her eyes and laughed. “Whatever bitch. Just remember, Brent’s mine, so keep your hands off of him.”

As soon as she was out of earshot, Lizzie cursed in German.

I laughed. “Forget her. She is just jealous.”

Lizzie shrugged. “You are probably right, but what about you. Are you okay? I mean-“

I cut her off. “Yeah. Besides, she probably won’t want Brent knowing I am in town, so I think I am still safe.”

She looked at me questioningly. “What if she tells him? Are you ready for him to find out?”

I picked at my nails. “Well no. I mean, there is nothing that would go on anyways; he is still with that fucking whore. Did she really cheat on him and try to get in Kane’s pants?”

Lizzie laughed. “Oh dear yes. Everyone on the team knows it, I am pretty sure even Brent knows it.”

After we finished shopping, we got back to the condo and decided we were going to have a girl’s night watching movies and pigging out on popcorn when her phone rang signaling a text message.

She smiled. “Katey, you know I love you right?”
I rolled my eyes. “Go. I will just have to eat this big bowl of popcorn by myself.”

She hugged me and bounced out the door. “Thanks I owe you!”

I rolled my eyes and settled myself down on the couch to start the first movie when there was a knock on the door.

“Geezus Lizzie, forget your keys again?”

I opened the door to see Brent standing there. He looked up and smiled.

“I had to come see for myself that you are really back.”

He then took my face in his hands and kissed me, catching me by surprise. God I missed kissing him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he picked me up and carried me to the couch. A few minutes passed before either one of us broke the kiss. He looked into my eyes and smiled. “You have no idea how bad I have wanted to do that since you left.”

I tried getting my head back straight. “Brent we can’t-“

“Me and Hanna are done. Finished.”

I got off his lap and started to pace. “Oh my god. I ruined a relationship.”

He laughed and grabbed my leg to stop me. “You didn’t ruin anything. The relationship was done a long time ago. You just acted like a catalyst.”

“But I cannot and will not be your rebound.”

He threw his hands up. “I don’t want you to be the rebound damn it. I want you to be my everything. I want the person I come home to after a tough game or long road trip to be you.”

I just stared at him. “This is all too much. I can’t do this right now.”

I try to walk out of the room when he grabbed my arm. “Would you quit running from me? I am laying it all out for you and all you want to do is run!”

I stare at him with fire in my eyes. “You want to know why I run? It’s because I am scared. I am scared that if we do actually give this a try, I will fuck it up or you will leave me or you will find someone better.”

“Who could possibly be better than you?!”

“Take a fucking look around Brent. There are girls, hot girls like Lizzie and Hanna, throwing themselves at your guys’ feet anywhere you go. You can have your pick of them so why me?”

He sighed. “Would you quit comparing yourself to Lizzie for just a second and take a look at yourself. You are gorgeous, beyond gorgeous in fact. You don’t need high fashion or money to make you happy, you are happy with the simplest of things. If you wore sweats and no makeup for the rest of our lives, I would be happy.”

I laughed. “Seriously? Sweats forever?”

He rolled his eyes. “Well maybe getting dressed up once in awhile would be nice.”

I sighed I ran my hand through my hair. “I don’t know Brent. I don’t want to rush into things only to get my hopes up.”

“Then we won’t rush it. We will simply hang out for awhile, get to know each other better and see how things go. Sound good?”

I bit my lip. “Fine. But I am still not wearing a Blackhawk jersey at the games.”

He smiled. “We will convert you one day my dear.”

For the remainder of the night, we watched my movie marathon I had planned to watch with Lizzie and told each other all the facts we wanted to know. Around 3 a.m., Brent got up to leave.

“Shit. We have practice in the morning. I should really be getting home and to bed.”

I thought for a minute. “Why don’t you just stay here? Lizzie is at Patrick’s for the night and still hate staying here by myself.”

He gave me a questionable look. “You sure? I don’t want-“

I waved him off. “It’s fine. You can have my bed, I will sleep out here cause I am quite comfy right now.”

He sat back down, put his arm around me, and closed his eyes. “Well if you are comfortable, then so am I.”

For the first time in over two months, I got a full night of sleep.