Tumors And Hearts

Day 17 – The Gym

Xx-nikki-xX

I quietly opened the door to Ashley’s room and snuck in while she was sleeping. She mumbled something and I quickly dropped to the floor before remembering all the times I had spent the night at her house and stayed awake longer than her just to hear her talk in her sleep about cotton balls and blue cups.

Making sure she was still asleep, I peaked over the foot of her bed before army-crawling around to the side. I slowly stood up and backed up against the wall opposite her bed. I took a running leap and landed right on Ashley’s sleeping body.

She started awake and looked up at me.

“Good morning sleepy head!” I yelled in her face.

“What time is it?” she asked rubbing her eyes.

“Almost 8.” I said rolling off her.

“Nikki,” she said sitting up. “I respect that you wake up early to go running, but why are you waking me up so damn early?”

“I have to go to the gym today.”

“Have fun.” she said lying back down.

“I want you to come with me.”

“Why?” she asked, her eyes closed.

“I need someone to keep me company.”

“Take your iPod.”

“It died.” She didn’t say anything. “Please?”

She pulled her pillow over her head. She was trying to ignore me; it wasn’t going to work that easily.

I jumped on her again. “Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssse?” I whined.

“You’re not gonna let me sleep are you?”

“Nope!”

She sighed. “Well, then get off me so I can get ready.”

“Yay!” I exclaimed jumping off her.

“What have I told you about drinking coffee?” she yelled as I ran out of her room.

Xx-ashley-xX

I sat and watched Nikki lift weights. How someone who’s slowly dying can lift that much, I’ll never understand.

She tried to get me to work out with her, but it was still too early for that kind of stuff. So instead I was sitting on a machine used to exercise your legs, watching Nikki and occasionally acting as her cheering section.

I saw Nikki’s phone light up in her bag. She had a text from Shannon.

I shouldn’t... but I will anyway!

I grabbed the phone and hid it behind my legs that were propped up on the machine.

hey pretty lady ;)

I debated on whether or not I should talk to him.

this is ashley, nikkis working out I texted back.

um... who?

her personal penguin! duh!

um... wat?

im her best friend lol

oh, hey watsup? lol

nm, u?

same here

“What are you doing with my phone?” Nikki asked.

“Just checking the time.” I lied.

Her phone vibrated and I looked down to see another text from Shannon.

alright question for the best friend

ok, shoot

i like nikki, i mean i REALLY like nikki... should i go after her?

werent u already doing that? lol

i may have tried once or twice...

well just keep trying

k... thanx

no problem lol

I was deleting our conversation as the texts came in, which was probably a good thing.

I looked up from her phone and saw Nikki coming my way. She reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle of water. She downed half of it and turned to look at me.

“Now what are you doing?” she asked.

“Texting your boyfriend.”

“My... boy... friend... SHIT!”

She lunged at me and we fell to the floor. She wrestled the phone out my hands and sat up.

watever she told you isnt true! I looked over her shoulder and saw what she said to Shannon before she hit the send button.

I started laughing uncontrollably as I watched Nikki freak out and everyone else in the gym look at us like we were crazy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments! They're all greatly appreciated!
Anyone ever read Your Personal Penguin when they were little? My friend and I have a joke with that book so I thought I'd slip it in there when I got the chance lol.
The updates are probably gonna be slowing down soon. I had a lot of this story already written out when I started posting it and now I'm almost caught up. I'll try and update every chance I have but it might take a while because school and it's activities will be starting up soon.
Thanks for reading!
-Aiden