Tumors And Hearts

Day 59 – Confessions of Love

Xx-nikki-xX

The next night we had our movie night with the boys. Alex and I were sitting on the couch, while Chris was sitting in the love seat with his arms wrapped around Manda who was sitting on his lap. Let Me In was playing on the TV and none of us were paying attention to it.

“I’m hungry.” Alex said interrupting the conversation I was having with Chris.

“Me too.” Chris said.

“I vote for pizza!” I said rubbing my stomach.

Manda grabbed the phone and called the pizza place. She ordered two medium pizzas. One was a meat lover for the boys. The other had extra cheese and mushrooms for Manda and myself.

“Who’s coming with me to go get it?” she asked after she hung up.

“Chris will.” Alex and I said at the same time.

“Sure, why not?” he said with a smile.

Manda stood up and stretched, then helped Chris up. They pulled on their shoes and hoodies and off they went, leaving Alex and me alone in Manda’s apartment.

The room fell silent as soon as they left. I focused my attention on the TV as the credits for the movie had just finished rolling. The screen went black before going back to the main menu. I got up and walked over to the DVD player. I took out the movie and put in The Grudge for when Manda and Chris got back.

I turned around as the previews started playing on the TV and saw Alex spread out on the couch. He winked at me and smiled his cocky smile that used to make me melt inside. I rolled my eyes before going and plopping down on the floor by the couch so I was next to his head.

He sighed deeply before saying, “So how are things with you and Shannon?”

“Fine.” I said with a shrug. I was surprised he even asked me.

“Just fine?”

I nodded. “I’m really happy with him.” I said with an absentminded smile.

“Hmm.” He frowned and I could tell he was disappointed with my answer. He turned his face away from me and mumbled something I couldn’t make out.

“What?”

“I said I love you.” he said turning to face me again.

Cue awkward silence.

I sighed heavily. “I know.” I said at last.

“You do?”

I nodded. “Manda told me a few weeks ago.”

“Oh.” He rolled over so that his back was to me.

“To be honest,” I said lightly touching his shoulder. “I really liked you too for a while…but I’m with Shannon now…”

He still had his back to me when he spoke. “I know.” he said. “But I was too nervous to say something back then. I can’t help but think that if I had told you sooner things would be different. Maybe I would be with you instead of him.”

“Maybe you would…” I said softly

He suddenly sat up and practically jumped up from the couch. “I need some air.” he said before rushing out of the apartment. The door slammed shut behind him and I was completely alone.

I wiped at my eyes as tears threatened to spill over. I hated hurting people, and I felt like I had been hurting a lot of my friends lately in some way or another.

The door suddenly flew open and Manda came in looking worried. She set the pizzas down on the kitchen counter and came over to me.

“Mind telling me what’s going on?” she said sitting down on the couch.

I sniffed. “Where’s Chris?”

“He’s with Alex.” she said. “Now, what the hell happened? Alex is sitting outside the building crying!”

My head dropped down into my hands and I groaned loudly before repeating what happened.

“Shit.”

“I know.”

“I kept telling Alex to get over you.” she said. “Everyone can see how happy you and Shannon are together.”

I groaned again. “I need to go talk to him.” I said standing up.

“Good luck.” Manda said as I headed for the door.

Alex was sitting right outside the door to the apartment building. He looked terrible and Chris didn’t look any better as he tried to comfort him. It was easy to see that they were such good friends.

They both looked when I cleared my throat. “Umm… can I talk to Alex?” I asked.

Chris hugged Alex tight and patted him on the shoulder. He sighed before standing up and heading inside. I took Chris’s seat next to Alex on the cold ground.

“Alex…” I let my voice trail off, not knowing what to say.

He turned to look at me at last and I felt my heart squeeze at the look on his face. It was like an angel crying. I really did like him…

I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and had to fight the urge to cry as I spoke. “Alex, you know I really care about you… I don’t want to lose you as a friend.”

He mumbled something that sounded like “I know.”

“Can we still be friends?” I asked.

He smiled and wiped the tears from his face. “Of course.”