Tumors And Hearts

Day 67 – Nobody Deserves a Mime

Xx-nikki-xX

“…so then Kathy’s like, ‘It’s share time Buffy.” And I’m like, ‘Oh, yeah? Share this!’”

“So, either you hit her, or you did your wacky mime routine for her.”

“Well, I didn’t do either, actually. But she deserves it, don’t you think?”

“Nobody deserves a mime, Buffy.”

I was lying on my stomach on the couch in the living room area of my apartment watching Buffy and Oz walk around campus at the University of Sunnydale on TV. Since returning home from the tapings I have had no desire to do much of anything. All I’ve done was sit on the couch and watch TV, only leaving to go to the bathroom or get food on the rare occasion my appetite would reappear. So far I had watched all the Freddy Krueger movies, all the Saw movies and I was currently half way through season four of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ashley came out of her room and went into the kitchen with Checkers and Ocito following her. She grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and headed back into her room without saying anything to me. Ashley knew how I liked to handle depressing matters like this. I didn’t like people to try to comfort me.

This is probably why I wasn’t expecting her to come out of her room again and jump on me. She landed right on top of me and trapped me on the couch.

“Come here Sammy!” Ashley said patting the space next to my face. “Come give your mama a kiss!”

“NO!” I yelled.

Too late. Sam stuck his giant nose in my face and started licking me. I wiggled around under Ashley’s body but failed to get free. I finally turned my head and buried my face in the cushion of the couch so Sam couldn’t get to me.

So he settled for licking my ear.

“That’s one nasty lookin’ Wet Willy.” Ashley said from above me.

“No Sam!” I yelled squirming around. “No more kisses!”

Sam finally quit and walked away. I turned my head so that I could see Ashley better.

“Have I told you lately that I hate you?” I asked.

“You know you love me!” she said pinching my cheek.

I glared at her before going back to watching TV. Xander and Oz were tying Buffy to a chair to keep her from going and killing her roommate, Kathy, who she thought was a demon.

“I’m guessing you didn’t come out here to watch Buffy with me?”

She shook her head. “Nope. I came out here to tell you to get off your ass.”

“Ah. That’s what I thought.”

“I’m serious.”

“I know you are.”

“Then get up!” Ashley said finally getting off me.

“That takes too much work.”

“Nicolette Jane Carter!”

“Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?” I groaned.

“All you’ve done since you got home is mope around and watch TV! You need to call Shannon and talk to him!”

“But he doesn’t want to talk to me!” I lied.

As if to catch me in my lie, my phone chose that moment to start going off. Right away, I knew it was Shannon. He had been trying to get a hold of me all week. He called me a gazillion times, left me all these voicemails, and sent me another billion texts. But it was me that didn’t want to talk to him.

I ignored the glare Ashley was giving me and let the song play through. A few minutes later my phone started saying I had a new voicemail.

Before I could even blink, Ashley had my phone in my hand and was putting in my code. I made a mental note to stop telling her things like that.

“Let’s see what dear old Shannon has to say.” Ashley said putting it on speaker.

She muted the TV as his voice filled the now silent room.

“Umm, hey… It’s me again.” he sounded terrible. “I know you’re still mad at me but…” he stopped and sighed very heavily. “Please, Nikki, just call me back. I really need to talk to you…”

“I thought you said he doesn’t want to talk to you.” Ashley said raising her eyebrows at me.

“Maybe he changed his mind…” I said shrugging my shoulders.

“You are such a fucking liar!” she yelled. “Why don’t you want to talk to him?”

“I don’t know.” I shrugged my shoulders again. “I guess I’m just afraid of what might happen…”

“What do you think will happen, Nikki?” she asked sitting down next to me.

“What if we end up in a huge fight? What if he says he doesn’t want to be with me anymore? I’m scared Ashley!” Tears started to fill my eyes as I talked. “I don’t want to fight with Shannon. I don’t even have two months left to live!”

“But that’s all the more reason to talk to him.” Ashley said. “You need to fix things with him so you have more time to spend together.”

“I know.” I said as Ashley got up and went back into her room. “But I’m still afraid.”