Tumors And Hearts

Day 94 – Early Retirement

Xx-nikki-xX

There was a knock on the door of the room Ashley and I were waiting in. It opened and Dr. Anna Lynn Molly came.

“How are you doing Nicolette?” she asked me.

“Okay I guess.”

She nodded and turned to Ashley. “And how’s your other half doing?”

“Pretty good.” Ashley said.

“Good.” she smiled.

She sat down in the spinning chair that Ashley and I had been playing on earlier. I watched her open up the folder she brought in with her and read through something. It was silent in the room until she finally closed the folder and looked back up at us. I could tell by the look on her face that there would be no good news today.

“Nicolette.” Dr. Anna Lynn Molly sighed heavily. “Oh dear Nicolette.”

“What?”

“I don’t know how to say this without upsetting you…”

“What?” I asked again.

“Well… I… I think it’s time you stopped wrestling.”

My heart skipped a beat. “W-what?” I sounded out of breath. “N-no! Why?”

“At this point, Nicolette, that much physical activity can only make things worse.”

Tears filled my eyes and I had to fight the very strong urge to cry.

“I’m sorry,” she said looking down at the white tiled floor. “But I think it’s safe to say that you’re done wrestling. Under my order, as you doctor, you are now officially retired.”

And with that she got up and left the room. I waited until the door closed all the way before breaking down. I felt Ashley put her arms around my shoulders and hug me. I turned so that I could hug her back. I buried my face in her chest and cried.

The tears didn’t stop coming for a long time. Once or twice I heard the door open and then shut very quickly. The nurses probably didn’t know I was still in there.

At one point, Ashley decided it was time to go home. She stood up and dragged me to my feet with her. She led the way out the door and out of the doctor’s office. When we got to my car Ashley took me around to the passenger seat and helped me in. She hurried to the driver’s side and got in.

Hit The Floor by Bullet For My Valentine started blasting through the speakers when the car turned on. Ashley quickly hit the power button and silence filled the car. I didn’t complain; I was still too busy crying to do anything.

Nothing was said on the ride back to our apartment. When we got there Ashley helped me out of the car and up to our door. She let go of me long enough to unlock the door. She gently grabbed me by the shoulders and led me to my room. My dogs were jumping around and barking but I couldn’t bring myself to care. I was too distraught.

Ashley helped me change into my comfy sweats and get into bed. It was only 2pm but I was exhausted from crying so much. I let Ashley tuck my in. She turned off the lights and was about to shut the door when Ocito came in. He came and jumped up on my bed and curled up next to me. He buried he head in the crook of my neck like he always did when he could tell something was wrong.

I sighed and scratched behind his ears before closing my eyes and falling into a deep sleep.