Tumors And Hearts

Day 110 – Hospitalized

Xx-nikki-xX

On the following Saturday morning I woke up to a cool draft coming into my room. I pulled the blanket over my head and reached for Shannon’s hands to wrap around my waist but couldn’t find them. I rolled over and saw that I had the bed to myself. I shrugged and let myself fall back asleep.

I woke up again about an hour later and finally got out of bed. I went into the kitchen and found Shannon. His back was to me. He was drinking coffee and reading something on his phone. I snuck up behind him and wrapped my arms around him middle, resting my chin in his back between his shoulder blades.

He set down his phone on the counter and turned around in my arms. “I love you.” I said.

He smiled. “I love you too.” He moved a piece of hair that had fallen into my face and kissed me.

I smiled into the kiss and brought my arms up around Shannon’s neck. He pulled me tighter against his body when suddenly my head erupted in an unbearable pain.

Xx-shannon-xX

I pulled Nikki tighter against my body and deepened the kiss. I thought things were going well until she suddenly stepped away from me and started screaming.

“Nikki, what’s wrong?”

“My head!” she exclaimed grabbing her head in pain. “My head hurts so bad Shannon!”

She backed up against the counter and slid down to the floor. I watched her curl up in a ball on the floor and start crying. The whole time she was holding her head in her hands and saying how much it was hurting.

Trying not to freak out, I hurriedly grabbed my phone off the counter above her and dialed 911. They told me an ambulance was on the way and would be there soon. I hung up the phone and tossed it aside. I knelt down next to Nikki and pulled her onto my lap.

“It’s going to be okay Nikki.” I said lightly stroking her hair. “They’re sending an ambulance. It’ll be here soon. I promise everything is going to be okay.”

Nikki had already passed out by the time the ambulance arrived.

x-later-x

I called Ashley as soon as we got to the hospital. She rushed over and the two of us had been waiting there ever since. It was around 8:30 at night when Nikki finally woke up.

Ashley and I were leaning over either side of the hospital bed Nikki was lying in. “Hey Sleepyhead.” I reached out a hand and gently stroked her hair. “How are you feeling?”

“My head still hurts.” she whispered. “And I feel really weak.”

“I’m not surprised.”

The three of us looked up and saw Dr. Anna Lynn Molly standing in the doorway to the room.

Nikki tried to sit up but groaned and grabbed her head in pain again. Ashley gently pushed her back into a lying position.

“What do you mean?” I asked the doctor.

“We took some scans of your head while you were unconscious.” she said coming into the room all the way. “I’m afraid your tumor is getting worse. Another episode like what you had earlier today could kill you, Nicolette. You’re going to have to stay here for a while for observations.”

I looked from the doctor to Nikki. It looked like she was trying really hard not to cry. She looked at me and then Ashley before sniffing and saying, “I guess I don’t have a choice in the matter.”

Dr. Anna Lynn Molly nodded and left.

“Are you gonna be okay Nikki?” I asked rubbing her arm.

She pierced her lips and nodded. Then without warning, she started crying. I pulled her into my arms and tried to comfort her but she pushed me away.

“Nikki…?” I didn’t understand why she was suddenly pushing me away after everything that had happened.

“I’m sorry, Shannon, but I just don’t want to be around anyone at the moment.” she said through her tears.

“But Nikki-”

Ashley, probably understanding Nikki’s actions better than me, grabbed me by the arm and led me out of the room.

“I don’t get why she’s acting like this all of a sudden.” I said once we were in the waiting room.

“Just give her some time alone.” Ashley said. “Sometimes she deals with things better that way.”

I sighed before plopping down on one of the chairs. Ashley sat down next to me and we sat in silence. After a while I stood up, pulling my phone out of my pocket.

“Where are you going?” Ashley asked.

“I’m gonna call some people and let them know what’s going on.” I said. “You should probably tell Dixie and Manda what happened.”

She nodded and pulled out her own phone. I walked down a random hallway and dialed Jeff’s number.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just want to know what you guys are thinking of the story. It's getting down to the end so feedback is appreciated! Send me some comments and let me know how I'm doing.
-Aiden