Status: Active.

You're Living a Lie, You Just Can't Hide From Me

This Town's Been Talkin'.

Natalie clung to Garrett's side even as he whispered words of encouragement to her. She was worried about being back in Tempe. There were a lot of things that she had to return to that she hadn't told him. He wouldn't understand, she decided, no one could. Even the sympathetic looks the boys offered her didn't help.

They were only about 30 miles outside when they had to stop for gas. The realization that this was actually happen had the girl secondguessing her decision and longing to return to Los Angeles. There was no way of turning back now, and she was trying to sort out what she had to do. Especially knowing that there was little to no chance the boys, especially Garrett would dare leave her side.

Garrett's lips turned downward, feeling lost, unable to comfort her, or have any idea what she was feeling. He knew a lot about her, but he was certain there was more to her story. It was still almost scary to feel as if he barely knew a girl he had been so certain he knew inside and out. He knew that there were a lot of things she had to deal with in Tempe, but she wouldn't clue him in. All he knew was that the small southern belle had been having nightmares lately, that since she decided to come back, she had been less than excited to actually go ahead with it.

"Maybe no one will recognize you?" Pat spoke with a soft smile.

The redhead shrugged her shoulders slightly, letting them rise and fall barely only enough to answer the drummer, who was looking at her with big puppy-dog eyes.

Jared glanced at her from the rearview mirror as he pulled into the gas station. "Tals, you'll be okay. We're men, if anyone even looks at you the wrong way, we'll open up a can of whoop ass." The ginger giggled to himself in what seemed like a feminine fashion, parking the van.

Garrett kissed her cheek and pulled away from her with a promise that he'd return with Dr. Pepper and watermelon Sour Patch Kids after she mentioned that she didn't want to get out of the van. John had woken up in the passenger's seat and yawned before turning to look at her. The other boys had left them alone and Natalie suddenly felt very vulnerable, and almost naked under his gaze. He stretched, moving from the front to the row she sat in. He didn't even say anything, just stroked her cheek and looked into her eyes.

Something about the gesture made Natalie calmer, more comfortable and she leaned into him. John sighed, wrapping his arms around her, and kissing the top of her head. He held her tightly, rocking her back and forth gently, and while it didn't feel like Garrett, it still felt lovely. Natalie relaxed in the singer's arms, letting out a sigh. She looked at him placidly, wondering why she felt as she did, but didn't dare let him know. John didn't ask what was bothering her, but he could tell she wasn't in a talking mood.

"Tali, I won't let anyone hurt you, you know that."

She nodded slowly.

"I, uh..." He sighed. "I'm nowhere near over you." He admitted, a faint blush rising to his cheeks, his eyes greener than ever. It was almost refreshing to see the shy side of the vocalist and it brought a small smile to her lips. He looked as if he regretted speaking and busied himself by playing with her hair.

"John," She breathed. "Don't say that."

"Do you think I like being in love with my best friend's girl?!" He raised his voice slightly.

"I-i-in love?"

John sighed, looking away from her.

The singer didn't answer her question, in fact, he avoided addressing her again all together. He stared out the window of the van as if there was something so interesting about the gas prices. He didn't want to get involved anymore; he knew he was supposed to give up on his attraction to her, but she was the thread of the lyrical content of the new album.

Natalie felt sick to her stomach now that the truth of "she makes me feel like shit, but I can't get over it" was apparent. She felt cheap, disgusted, wondering if she'd sent some sort of signs to him or cheated on Garrett mentally. Yes, John was attractive, charismatic; he was a great guy, but he wasn't her boy. Garrett was the one she'd pledged her heart to, and she hadn't looked back. So why was she now second guessing everything she'd been so careful about? John was the one who'd turned HER down. John was the one who left, and resisted the opportunity to sleep with her. Was this his twisted game of revenge?

'Nat-”

“You don't get to call me that.” She spoke quietly. “Only Gary calls me that.”

“Natalie, look, I know-”

“John, please don't.” The redhead cut him off again, not caring what he would say to even attempt to resolve the situation or lessen to the tension. Any avail to that would be pointless after his last confession. Natalie sighed deeply.

When she finally found the words she wanted to say, what she wanted to ask, too much time had lapsed. As she opened her mouth to press him further, to get whatever information she could out of him, the door to the van slid open and the boys had returned with their treats. Garrett presented her with a bag and a kiss on the cheek before wrapping his arm around her, and glancing over at John.

“Did something happen?” He asked quietly, opening the package of watermelon sour patch kids.

She shook her head.

-------------

“Gary, I'll be okay.” She spoke quietly. “Your parents probably missed you.”

“They're used to me leaving, Nat, you know I can stay with you... Especially after what you said about your dad and-”

The girl smiled softly. “I kind of think its something I need to do alone. Its nothing against you, but coming home after so long, I don't know how much change my parents can handle.” She raised a hand to stroke his cheek with her thumb, looking into his radiant eyes.

“But you'll call me if you need me, right?” The bassist asked, standing up straighter, looking her in the eye.

Natalie nodded wordlessly before rising to her tiptoes and kissing him softly. “I love you, Gar.”

“I love you, Natalie.” He replied with a smile, trying to hide the small amount of doubt that had crept into his mind.

There was something wrong with her, he could tell. He wasn't sure what it was, but she clearly wanted some time alone. It wasn't her usually demeanor to ask him to leave; in fact, she usually preferred his company. Garrett tried to understand how deeply personal her homecoming was, but he was afraid there were links he didn't know about.

He watched her small figure as she headed into the house as if it would a deathwish. The bass player ran a hand through his head, confused as ever. He got back into the passenger's seat and looked over at John who was driving this time. The singer had been silent since they dropped Kennedy off, and then Jared. In fact, John looked as if someone had slapped him right across the face. He looked almost guilty, with wide green eyes and kept opening his mouth as if he were going to say something, but then closing it.

“What did you say to her?” Garrett asked in a threateningly calm tone, looking at the singer sideways.

John sighed, pulling out of the Evers' driveway, and turning onto the street, biting his lower lip. There was no way he could admit what he'd confessed to Natalie without Garrett throwing a punch. Not that the younger boy was really a threat to him, but still. He knew, more than anything, it would just upset Natalie and push her further away from him.

“Garrett,” Pat called calmly from the backseat.

“Did you upset her, John?”

“It could have been anything, you know that. She left Tempe for a reason and, all of a sudden, decides to return. There's got to be a lot of repercussions to it. Why are you so quick to blame me?” John spoke in the same tone Garrett had used.

The bassist sighed, leaning back against the headrest. "I don't know, man, something is really bugging her and she won't tell me anything. I just worry about her. I love her, you know?"

John sighed, staring straight ahead. "Yeah, man, I know."

The singer felt bad withholding information from one of his best friends. Garrett was practically his brother, but Natalie... she was a goddess. She was the type of girl that Shakespeare wrote sonnets about or served as a muse for some of the most important works. There was something about her that brought the older boy to his knees. Maybe it was that he wasn't used to being rejected. Especially not to Garrett.

As he pulled to a stoplight, he heard his phone signifying he had a text. He grabbed it from the cupholder quickly, wondering if it was one of his brothers. Perhaps Ross had to relay something their mom needed him to pick up before he went home. But the name that flashed on his screen surprised him. It shouldn't have, but it did.

Tonight, come over, clearly we need to talk.
♠ ♠ ♠
And the plot thickens...
I am back and bursting with ideas.
Is John going to try to get with Natalie? What's she hiding from Garrett? What is going to happen now that she's back in Tempe?
Post your comments, questions, suggestions and predictions.
xo.