Wolf

5: The Unravelling

When Keegan awoke on the third morning since Wolf had saved him he heard the voice at the lake calling once more. He’d heard it faintly each morning but it was suddenly stronger and he didn’t know if he could fight it away a second time. His body felt stronger but he couldn’t handle such a mental struggle again. Frantically he looked around, dissatisfied when he saw only Micah sitting on his bed, just changing into clothes for the morning. Keegan needed Wolf; he knew that. The demon had enough power to keep the voice at bay.

“Micah,” Keegan called out quietly and his brother started, looking up.

“Are you ok Kee? Does something hurt?” he asked. It took only seconds for him to reach the side of the bed and Keegan shook his head.

“I just… I was wondering where Wolf was,” he admitted timidly, hoping he wouldn’t anger Micah. His older brother had made his opinion towards the demon more than clear and Keegan felt guilt whenever he brought him up.

“He left sometime last night, after you were asleep,” Micah said with a shrug. “He didn’t say anything to me, just walked out.”

“Oh,” Keegan said, hurt. Had Wolf decided not to deal with the weak human anymore? After the past few days of constantly being somewhere near the house in case Keegan needed anything it was entirely plausible that the demon had realized he preferred his solitary lifestyle.

“He really means that much to you?” Keegan looked up at Micah, surprised. He hadn’t brought up any part of the implied relationship between Keegan and Wolf. The youngest of the brothers knew he’d been only putting off the inevitable. Micah’s eyes were narrowed, almost accusing, but Keegan nodded anyway.

“It doesn’t make sense, I know that. He’s not… He isn’t a good man, not to many, but I love him. It was a stupid thing, to let myself fall for him, but I can’t control it anymore than you control your feelings for Lisa.”

“But Keegan it isn’t the same thing! He’s a murderer Keegan, with no regard for life. He almost killed you when you were on guard duty.”

“I know Micah,” Keegan agreed meekly, not having any way to defend himself. The relationship was dangerous and rather unconventional but he had come to love the demon in the months they had… known each other. “I didn’t ask for this though.”

“Happy to hear you’re so fond of our relationship.” Keegan started at Wolf’s voice, looking at the doorway to the small room in surprise. He couldn’t help but smile when he saw the man. Wolf stood there wearing all black as Keegan was accustomed to but the shirt seemed to fit differently and Wolf looked rested for the first time since he’d saved Keegan at the lake. He tried not to think about what the reason for his rejuvenation were.

“I thought you were gone,” Keegan admitted.

“Don’t be ridiculous my little disaster. I couldn’t leave you,” Wolf assured him with a laugh that seemed suddenly distant, more like the laugh Keegan had heard when they’d first met instead of the genuine one he had gotten used to. “I just needed to stretch my wings for a little while.” Micah looked a bit surprised, wide-eyed as he glared at Wolf’s back, and started to push himself up from where he’d been sitting on Keegan’s bed.

“Keegan is fine now. You can go,” Micah hissed with a fearless glare.

“I was right,” Wolf said with a feral laugh. “I knew you’d be the harder to… convince of you two dear brothers. You should calm down though Micah. It doesn’t suit you to be angry. Your face turns about the color of your hair.”

“Get out,” Micah ordered. “Keegan is fine. You can come back later today if you need to see him so badly.”

“Or what Micah? What will you do?” Keegan shook his head, trying to tell Micah not to take the bait, but his brother was already moving. He attacked, sword drawn and Wolf laughed maliciously as he simply held up a hand.

“Micah!” Keegan yelled when his brother went slamming into the wooden wall of their home. The solider winced but stood back up, rushing forward again. Wolf merely leaned against the wall and twitched his hand again and suddenly Micah was on his knees, choking. He was grasping at his throat, eyes wide.

“Wolf stop it! Stop!” Keegan demanded, taking only two leaps to reach the demon. Wolf merely laughed at him through blood eyes as Micah choked and Keegan took a breath, stealing himself as he grabbed the dagger from his belt. He always kept it on him, especially after the previous morning. Wolf wasn’t expecting it and Keegan managed to shove the blade into his stomach. The move would have been more powerful, lethal even, had he been able to get a stronger swing behind it.

“You just tried to kill me,” Wolf stated, voice high with crazed malice. “That doesn’t seem like a smart plan.” Keegan ignored the demon, wrenching the dagger out to attempt a shot on the demon’s chest. Wolf grabbed his wrist before he could, squeezing until Keegan gasped, dropping the dagger. Before Wolf could make another move Micah was there, sword out and ready to kill until the demon swung Keegan around, putting him closest to the blade.

“Let him go,” Micah hissed, eyes dark. Keegan stood still, livid but helpless. He didn’t recognize the unbridled fury in Wolf. Even on the first night he hadn’t seemed so lost in hatred. Keegan waited until Wolf let his guard down to shove an elbow into his stomach. The blow didn’t do much other than surprise the demon but Keegan was able to lunge, sliding under Micah’s blade and grabbing for his own sword.

“Kill him,” Keegan said quietly to his brother and Micah didn’t hesitate. He lunged forward, needing only his brother’s allowance to do so. Wolf deflected the blow easily, shoving Micah to the side but Keegan was there, snaking under Wolf’s outstretched arm. Keegan had almost pierced the demon’s heart when Wolf met his eyes.

“Keegan,” he said softly, suddenly calm. It was stupid, he knew that, but the boy dropped his sword immediately. Micah yelled at him, desperate, but Wolf didn’t even move to grab for the sword. He just looked between the brothers with wide eyes, taking a stumbling step backwards. “Keegan,” Wolf repeated and the Keegan lost all will to fight at the pain in the demon’s voice.

The creature fell to his knees, landing with only a soft thud on the dirt floor. He didn’t even move to reach for Keegan’s dropped sword as he looked at it, seeming to be confused. Keegan knelt next to him despite Micah’s furious protests. The demon looked up into Keegan’s eyes with his own a deep amber before he lifted his hand. The reactionary part of him urged Keegan to attack, to prevent it from happening, but instead of trying to fight them Wolf grabbed at Keegan’s already bruising wrist and pulled it into his chest. He curled into himself, clutching desperately at it as he let out shaking breaths.

“Wolf…” Keegan began but he had no idea how to continue. Instead he moved closer, wrapping his other arm around the demon’s shoulders in as much comfort as he could give. “What happened?”

“I don’t know,” he said in a whisper, clutching at Keegan’s body until the boy was over him, creating a shield. Micah was watching the pair with wide, confused eyes. Keegan just shook his head apologetically towards his brother and allowed Wolf to… do whatever it was he was doing. Keegan was just happy that the fight was over.

“Keegan you don’t have to do it, just tell me I’m allowed,” Micah urged his younger brother. Keegan gave him a fierce glare and shook his head, leaning heavily against the doorframe. Micah had every right to be concerned, Keegan reminded himself, had every reason to want the demon dead. “He attacked us for no reason!”

“Something happened,” Keegan told Micah firmly, refusing to believe that Wolf had simply gotten bored and wanted a fight.

“He tried to kill us!”

“No. If he wanted us dead, we would be,” the younger brother said calmly. He knew only the very tip of Wolf’s strength and he also knew that just that small portion would be enough to kill both brothers without hardly any energy.

“So you want me to just let him lie there in your bed, defenseless and asleep, and do nothing? It’s our chance to end this Keegan. You wouldn’t have to be with him anymore and he wouldn’t be a danger to this entire town.” Micah was furious yet again and Keegan found he really didn’t have the energy to fight with him. The only good that seemed to come from this is that the voice had given up for the day, no longer demanding him to come to the lake.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I want. I know you think I’m insane but I don’t want to not be with him. I’m happy Micah, whether you want to believe it or not. I’m getting something to eat. Don’t touch him.”

“Keegan you were willing to kill him earlier. What changed?” Micah demanded, grabbing his brother’s arm.

“He was going to kill you, even if he didn’t mean to. Family always comes first Micah, you know that, but I’m not killing Wolf if I don’t have another choice,” Keegan told him, giving his brother a small smile. “You’re my brother; you come before anyone else.”

“You’re a brat,” the knight said with a huff. “What do you want me to do if he wakes up while you’re gone?”

“I’m going into the kitchen…”

“No, you’re going to the market. We’re out of food,” Micah said with a sheepish smile. He reached into his pocket and fished out enough coins for a week’s worth of food. “You bought last week.” Keegan nodded, accepting the money before walking to the bed.

“I’ll be back in a little while, and then you’re explaining all of this. You’re getting me into trouble you prat,” Keegan whispered to the demon fondly, pressing a kiss to his cheek before leaving. He purposely ignored the slightly disgusted and more than a little annoyed expression on Micah’s face.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I just realized how long it's been since I updated this. I'm sorry! Oh and I posted a 'picture' of the two of them here. It's crappy and kinda sucks but I tried really hard!

and you guys should be super duper awesome and read this for me. it's some slash & some het (different characters)

and comment on this? maybe? If you wanna make my day...