I Saw Your Heart as It Overtook Me

Home For A While

I muttered a few incoherent words under my breath as I tried to open the front door but found it to be locked. I pulled out my keys and unlocked it, stepping into only to be greeted by silence and freezing air. I shut the door behind me and looked around for Matt.

He called me while I was over at Lissa's shop getting my hair done, saying that he was on his way home from the studio. Luckily Lissa was just finishing up my hair so I was able to get home within a half an hour, but now here I am and he's still not home.
I frowned a little to myself and set my purse on the counter, taking out my cell phone and dialing up Matt's cell. I hit the 'send' button and held the phone to my ear, listening to it ring repeatedly on the other end.

"Hello?" Matt answered.

"Hi baby." I said softly, taking a seat beside Azriel, my kittie Matt had gotten me not too long after I had returned home from the hospital.

He was black and fluffy just like Azriel off of the Smurfs, hence his name.

"Hey sweetie." Matt said quietly. "I know I said I was on my way home but I decided to stay and finish up this last vocal part, then I'll be done recording."

"Oh, okay then babe, in that case take your time." I said, letting a little smile play across my lips at the thought of Matt finally being done recording.

"I'm almost done sweetie." He said softly. "I'll pick something up on the way home for dinner, okay?"

"Alright Mattie."

"Club house sound good?"

"Sounds great."

"Okay baby, I gotta go now. I love you."

"I love you too Matt."

"Bye."

"Bye." I whispered.

I heard Matt hang up on the other end and I lowered my phone, hanging mine up as well. I smiled to myself once more as I began to scratch Azriel behind his ears, thinking about how I was now going to be able to have Matt all to myself from now on. Well ... for the most part at least.

Azriel meowed a little and curled himself in to a ball on my lap, almost instantly falling asleep. Careful not to wake him up, I reached over and grabbed the remote, turning on the television. I flipped through the channels until I spotted Fresh Prince of Bel-Air playing on Nickelodeon and I turned it on.

"Hey, yo, where you at?"

I laughed a little to myself and called back.

"I'm in the living room, ma'am."

A few seconds later Amber appeared beside the couch, packing what looked like a box of donuts.

"Can I help you missy?" I asked, giving her a half smile and patting the spot beside me, indicating for her to take a seat.

She shrugged her shoulders a little.

"Zacky send me over here because he said I was getting on his nerves; how nice huh?" She said, taking a seat beside me. "You want a donut?"

"Sure, thanks." I said.

"I didn't say I was actually gonna give you one." She smirked. "I just asked if you wanted one."

"Smart ass." I mumbled, poking her belly a little. "You hear that dude? Your mama's a smart ass."

"Hey, hey, keep your hands off my kid." Amber laughed, slapping my hand away. "I'll turn you in for child abuse."

"Shut up." I laughed. "Does it feel weird to look down and see your belly getting big now?"

"A little. I'm sure I'll really be weirded out when it gets to like seven or eight months and see it all big, and, crazy and ... " She trailed off, taking a bite of one of her donuts.

I nodded my head and turned back to the television.

"So what are you and Mattie doing later on?" Amber asked.

"I don't know." I said quietly. "He's bring home some club house sandwiches and I don't know what we're gonna do after that."

"We should go get a tattoo."

I turned to her and raised an eyebrow.

"Um ... you're pregnant?"

"I know, when I said 'we' I really meant 'you.'"

I raised my other eyebrow.

"And what kind of tattoo shall I get?" I asked.

"Uh ... I don't know." She said sheepishly. "The deathbat?"

"Hmm ... actually I have been wanting to get the deathbat inked somewhere."

"Aight, it's settled then. After you and this Mathew character eat, we're gonna head off to the tattoo parlor."

"Aight." I said, resting my head on her shoulder.

I closed my eyes, thinking deeply about taking a little nap when I heard the front door open. Thinking it was Matt I jerked my eyes open and sat up turning to rest my eyes on the hallway entrance.

"Hey, did you guys miss me?"

I frowned and huffed a little, turning back to the television when I saw it was only Zacky.

"No." I mumbled.

"Oh, geesh, thanks a lot." He said sarcastically, sitting down on the other side of Amber. "Did my wife miss me at least?"

"Hey, you're the one that sent me over here in the first place."

"Yeah well ... "

I blocked the rest of Zacky's words out when I heard a car door slam shut out in the driveway. I gently sat Azriel on the couch and jumped up, leaving Amber and Zacky alone in their make out session while I ran to the front door. I flung the door open and spotted Matt slowly walking up the sidewalk carrying a bag with a couple take out boxes.

"Matt!" I squealed, running down the sidewalk towards him.

He laughed a little and opened his arms, catching me in them and wrapping me in a tight hug.

"Hey sweetie." He said softly, rocking me gently in his arms. "I missed you today."

"I missed you too baby." I whispered, burying my face in his chest.

Matt pushed me a little away from him so he could kiss my lips softly. He flashed me a little smile as he pulled away and picked me up with ease, packing me back up to the house.

"Guess what." I said, wrapping my legs around his waist.

"What babe?" He asked, readjusting his arms so he could lift me up a little higher.

"I'm gonna go get the deathbat inked on me after we eat." I grinned.

"Sweet." He laughed. "Where are you gonna get it? On your stomach like mine?" He teased.

"I don't know yet." I said. "Maybe on my forearm here." I said, showing him the spot I was talking about. "Or maybe on the side of my neck. Or maybe on my hip."

"Well, why don't you narrow it down while we eat, eh?" He laughed.

"I'll try." I grinned as Matt shut the door behind us.

He made a move to go into the living room but I stopped him.

"Amber and Zacky are in there." I warned.

"Oh, thanks for the heads up." Matt joked and took a right, heading into the kitchen.

Matt sat me down on a stool beside the island and pulled up another one for himself.

"And here we are ma'am." He said, placing the bag on the table. "Dinner is served."

"Oh, thank you good sir." I grinned as he handed me my box.

"You're welcome babe." He said through a mouthful of his fries that he had already gotten into.

I laughed a little to myself and grabbed a napkin, wiping his mouth off for him. He cocked his head to the side a little and gave me a funny look.

"C'mere." I whispered, leaning in towards him.

He took the hint and met me halfway, locking his full, at the moment salty lips with mine. I smiled a little into the kiss and slowly pulled away.

"I'm glad you're done recording baby." I grinned. "Now I can have you to myself."

"You know, I was thinking the exact same thing." He said, flashing me his mischievous smile. "But first, we gotta finish up our lovely home cooked meal and get that tattoo of yours."

I laughed a little to myself and turned back to my food, thinking about the days that were to come. However, at the moment I never would have dreamed they'd have turned out like they would.

***********************************************

I sat there on the couch with Matt's arm wrapped around my shoulders while I checked out my latest tattoo I had gotten on my left forearm. The little party going on around the house had slowly died down and its last remaining party goer looked as if he were getting ready to call it a night.

"Baby," Matt slurred, "let's go to bed."

"I'm not tired though Mattie." I said softly. "You can go to bed if you're tired. I'm gonna stay up and watch cartoons or something."

"Alright, whatever." He mumbled, struggling to his feet.

Although he swayed on the spot a bit, he was able to steady himself and raised his beer to his lips, finishing the last of it. He looked around for a place to but his empty beer bottle, but when he found none, he looked back to me. I gave him a soft smile and held out my hand, indicating to just give it to me.

In turn, he flashed me a very intoxicated smile and placed the bottle in my hand. He reached over, placing a very sloppy kiss on my cheek and caught himself before he toppled over to the side.

"I'll be up sometime babe." I said, hitting him playfully on the butt.

"Aight." He said, giving me a half smile.

I laughed a little to myself as I watched him try his best to stagger straight towards the hallway. The poor man's going to be in for a world of hurt in the morning, that's for damn sure. I sight a little to myself and changed the television channel to Boomerang, one of thee best channels on Direct TV. As cheesy as it may sound, I did a little cheer when I saw that Thundercats was on. I watched the rest of the episode and when it ended I stood up and stretched a little, already bored with watching television.

"I wanna do something." I said out loud to myself.

Suddenly, as if on cute, I looked out the window and saw Johnny pulling up into his driveway. I watched intently, looking to see if Shawna was with him, because if she was chances were that they wanted to be left alone for the rest of the night (or technically it was really morning). I saw that saw that he was by himself and I instantly made a mad dash for the door.