Sequel: Taion
Status: Complete. Sequal Up

Take This To Heart

"The "D" Word", Self titled chapter

The plane ride to Cali from New York was long. The car ride into L.A. was longer and the silence in the car was unbearable. I wanted to ask so many questions, but I felt guilty just thinking about asking them. I did anyways. I needed to know. “Are you really going to send me to a rehabilitation center?”

No one spoke and Alex continued drive. The only noise was that of my sister’s Escape the Fate CD. It was blasting “Situations” throughout the car.

Alex sighed, taking his left hand off the steering wheel and running his hand through his hair. “We’ve all decided that it would be for the best if you did-“ I slouched in my seat. Well that settles it. “-But we want you to decide.”

My eyes widened in shock. They wanted me to decide? But they knew what I would say. No. Anyone in their right mind would. My smile was wide and everyone started laughing.

“Are you serious?! You’re the best dad I’ve ever had!” I closed my mouth as soon as I realized what I’d said. Dad. In reference to Alex. My lower lip trembled and I tried to comfort myself. I turned towards the window so no one could see me.

Alex seemed to notice, though, “Phoenix, its okay, really. I don’t mind at all.”

I nodded, squeezing my eyes shut so I could control my tears from falling. After I moment, I blinked them back. Jack, who was sitting beside me, was staring at me worried. As soon as I glanced at him and smiled, letting him know I was okay, he pulled me into an awkward hug in the back seat. “You’re Alex’s kid now! And you proved it!” He released me. “I can’t wait for the first father-son fight.”

Alex looked at him sarcastically in the rearview before gazing back at the road. “Gee, thanks. I feel so supported seeing as I know who you’ll be cheering for.”

Jack smiled. Zack laughed, turning up it to the radio where Fall Out Boy was playing. Zack made a face, but Jack started singing along to the top of his lungs.

And everyone’s looking for relief. United States versus disbelief. Mother’s cast tears on both sides of the aisle! Clear your throat and face the world! The verdict falls like bachelors for bad luck girls, only breathing with the aid of denial!” Jack’s voice drown out the music and let’s just get a point across here. He was no Patrick Stump.

“You would think they would take this song off the airwaves seeing as it’s like bashing the United States.” Zack muttered as Jack stopped singing after the chorus finished.

Alex snorted. “Pete Wentz can bribe anyone as long as they get an autographed picture of his unit.”

Jack nodded in agreement. “I know right? They’ve bashed our country quite a few times but-“ He was cut off my Zack.

“Not as much as Green Day and their song “American Idiot””

Jack glared at him for interrupting, but he continued. “As I was saying, no celebs I’ve known of have ever gotten in trouble for bashing the government, but as soon as we did we’d get sued and go to prison for a month until our manager decided to bail us.”

“I don’t think he’d bail you.” I muttered laughing.

“Alex!” Jack whined. “Make him stop.”

“He isn’t doing anything!”

“He’s being rude!”

“I am not!”

“Are too!”

“SHUT UP!” Zack yelled cutting off our argument.

I rolled my eyes and Jack huffed.

A few moments later we were once more in a heated debate about which band was better: Fall Out Boy vs. Cobra Starship. Zack joined in that time and didn’t tell us to shut it because both him and Alex got involved.

It was the first time I’d felt at ease in a while.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just for the record, I love FOB and Green Day. The bashing against them bashing the govenment just kinda happened. Dont' take it to offense.

*Hugs* And thanks for reading! :)

Comment & subscribe!