Sequel: Taion
Status: Complete. Sequal Up

Take This To Heart

"Awake," Second Hand Serenade

“Birdie!” Her voice was ecstatic, considering she was currently in a hospital bed. Her brown hair was a mess and the hospital gown was huge on her, even if it was the kids sized version. I grinned at her, but my chest felt hollow when I realized how many tubes and needles she had hooked up to her.

“Hey Emma,” My voice felt choked, but I continued smiling and walked over to her side. It had been exactly three months since I’d saw her. About one month since the accident and I’d last talked to her. It felt good to hear my name come from her mouth. “You’re awake.”

“No,” she answered, rolling her eyes, “I’m asleep.” Her sarcasm caught me off guard and I smirked, my eyes amused.

“Well, well, well, someone learned how to be sarcastic when I was away.” I grinned at her and from behind me I could hear laughter. I turned, still smiling.

Mona was standing there, leaning up against Alex whom had his arm wrapped protectively around her waist. “I blame you, Envy. She’s been around you too long.”

I laughed. “I didn’t teach her that.”

“Not intentionally,” Mona teased.

I rolled my eyes playfully before I felt the small hand gripping my shirt. I looked down at Emma and was shocked to find her eyes watering. “Emma, love, what’s wrong?” I pulled her into a hug in attempts to comfort her. “Ems, doll, don’t cry.”

But she’d already begun. “I thought I’d never see you again.”

I pried her away from me (which turned out to be a real job) and looked her in the eyes. “Dollface, for a moment there, I thought the same thing.” I didn’t think she had any idea how close to death she actually was and truthfully, I had no intentions of telling her. Why would I want to scare her even more? Now, of all times? When everything’s back to normal and she ended up being okay? “But when have I ever left you before without coming back?”

“The last time you left,” She sobbed out softly.

I sighed and pulled her back into my arms. “I’m back now, aren’t I?”

She nodded. “But you were away for a long time.”

“I’m not going anywhere soon, Emma. I’m not leaving you again. I promise.” I sat on the bed and engulfed her in a hug.

“Phoenix,” I heard Alex’s quite voice warning me, telling me not to make any more promises that I couldn’t keep. But I was keeping this one. I wasn’t leaving her again. Period.

I looked at him. “I’m serious about that, Alex. I’m not leaving her this time.” My serious, unwavering face told him I was all for this and I saw his jaw clench, his eyes averted and watering.

Rian stepped in. “I guess it’s settled then.” I could turn back to Emma and still see that he was watching us from my peripheral. He turned to Mona. I tried shushing Emma’s whines by tracing her lips with my pinky. “How long will it take to get Emma’s paperwork together?”

I tensed. I had my feelings that he was trying to mean well by keeping us together, but him? I didn’t know him. If it had been Jack or Zack, I’d agreed one hundred percent. Rian, however? I wasn’t jumping overboard with joy.

“Rian, Emma’s not up for adoption.” Everyone looked shocked, and Alex’s head snapped up. Everyone seemed to be thinking the same time. I wasn’t leaving Emma and Emma wasn’t able to come with us. They were going to have to sedate me to get me back in that bus without Ems. Alex’s eyes were trained on me, pleading. They slowly drifted back up the Mona when she started talking again.

“She’s not up for adoption because before I lost my job, I made sure I had all of her paperwork filled out to me. I’m Emma’s guardian now.” She glanced down and pulled her hand from Alex’s before leaving the room.

Alex, being his lovesick self, chased after her. Zack looked at me. “Mona lost her job?”

I shook my head in confusion. “I didn’t know she had. She didn’t tell me anything or let onto anything.”

Jack bit his lip, as if he knew something. Emma, Zack, Rian and I turned on him. “What do you know?” Zack pressed.

Jack looked down embarrassed. “Alex knew. She called him crying the night when were at the club and told him. He told me afterwards and made me swear not to tell any one.” He paused. “The Emma thing, that was news to me, too, though.”

I kissed Emma on her forehead. “How’s Mona paying for the hospital bills?” Emma shrugged.

Sighing, I slipped from Emma’s side and raced out the door, nearly missing and nurse (again). I found them out in the waiting room. Mona with her dressy pants and nice blouse and Alex with his teased, messy hair, T-shirts, and jeans. Mona was a crying mess and Alex was holding her close, trying to calm her by whispering sweet nothings to her ears.

I approached them cautiously. From a distance, it gave you the impression of a significant other comforting one after the loss of a parent or friend, not that of a job.

I knew Mona didn’t realize I was there when she started talking to him, both of their back’s to me. “I don’t know why I did it, Alex.” She sniffled. “I can’t support her now that I don’t have a job. It was out of desperation, not of thought.”

“Mona, babe, listen,” She looked up at him. “Do you trust me?”

“What do you mean?” She whimpered.

“Do you trust me when I say that everything’s going to be fine?” She didn’t answered. “I’ve got the bills,” he continued, and my question was answered. “I’ve got a nice home. I’ve got a steady income. I’ve got a dog…well, Phoenix’s dog, but she’s beautiful and child friendly, and, and,” His brow furrowed as if he wanted to say something, but didn’t exactly know how to word it. “And I love you, Mona. I don’t think I’ll ever find anyone like you again.” He grinned.

He’d said what he needed to without making a fool of himself. “And if you gave me the chance, just gave me a chance to support you and take care of you, I won’t let you down, or break you’re heart. You’ll be welcome to my house any time, so will you just-?”

His question was cut off when Mona wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. When she pulled away, she muttered. “Alex, you were starting to ramble.”

He kissed her neck once before asking, “Be my girlfriend? Let me take care of you.”

She sighed and fell into him, her arms still around his neck as his encircled her waist. “I love you, Alex. More than you’ll ever know, and I’ll be your girlfriend, but I won’t let you take care of me.”

I rolled my eyes. Mona was stubborn, but Alex could be hardheaded as well. I walked back to the room silently. By tonight, Alex would have broken her down with his boyish charm and witty remarks enough for her to agree to let him take care of her. It was only a matter of time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm becoming a horrid updater by leaving everyone to wait a week before I update. A lots going on at the moment. Sorry. But comment!

Thanks to
RAWR!cuzIMAdinosaur!
Jacklyn Barakat
&&
In deinem Schatten;


for commenting :)