I'll follow your voice.

019

“What did I do?” James asked as he was shoved through the door.

“You’re little ex girlfriend is dead. D-E-A-D. Which, you know what this means? I can’t kill her and she’s the one who’s out to kill me! So what do you know and what are you hiding from me this time?” Roxanne huffed, sitting down in the wife beater.

“What are you talking about? As far as I know, Aurora is still alive. I would know.”

“Then why did she say she was dead?” Valykrie asked.

“Well, various reasons. She wanted to psyche you guys out. I don’t know, make you feel like you were undermining her and give her more leeway? There are so many reasons; but she’s not dead. Any past spirit good or evil go to Utopia when they die. She’s not there.” He turned to Roxanne. “I think I’d tell you anything if it could save your life.”

Roxanne hated admitting she was wrong. Let alone when she was proven wrong in a group of people. She looked at James, arms crossed stubbornly. “Sorry I snapped at you. I appreciate you helping out.” It was the most you’d get out of her; her not being one to apologize on a regular basis.

He stood, and brushed his lips over her forehead. “It’s alright jailbait.”

They stood there close to each other, despite the awkward stares from the others. Clearing her throat, Roxanne turned back to look at them. “So, what do we do?”

“Well, you need to keep yourself guarded mentally and physically so that,” Dulcie nodded outside. “Doesn’t happen again.”

“Don’t worry,” Roxanne muttered, shaking her head. “It won’t.”

“How do we know she doesn’t have other minions working for her?” Valykrie questioned, scanning James.

“We don’t.” Arabella said. “So we only trust who’s in this room right now. Deal?”

All of them echoed their pact. “Alright,” Lily said, hugging Roxanne tightly. “Be safe.”

“Wait, where are you going?”

“Got a date,” she winked.

“Then I think it’s you, who should be careful.”

“Wait, aren’t you two going out too?”

“What?” James and Roxanne echoed.

“Or not.” Valykrie said laughing. “Alright lovebirds, I’m out. Arabella, Dulcie, let’s go see a movie.” And just like that, everyone was gone.

Roxanne blinked, looking at the spot where her comrades had just been. Speechless, she turned to look at James. “Uh, okay.”

He laughed, running his hand through his hair. “Cute.”

“Excuse me?”

“You made it seem like oh, all my friends coincidentally have plans and that just so happens to leave me with James all alone. Cute, its original.”

“You really think you’re hot don’t you? That’s cute James. See, I wouldn’t date you if you were the last guy on the earth!”

“Really?”

“Really. In fact….get out.”

James took a step towards her instead of the door. “Make me.”

“Get out or else I’ll burn you to a crisp.” She said in a breath of air at their closeness.

He let out a hum in his throat. “I thought we already established fire can’t beat water.” He smiled a crooked grin.

“Get out,” she repeated, not meaning it.

James didn’t say anything, but pressed his lips to hers; hands on either side of her face. It was like before; except now there was more passion behind it. He pulled her to him, his one arm wrapping around her waist tightly. Roxanne’s hands tumbled through his hair, nestling in. the kiss deepened, breaths coming short along with a need to get more of each other. He tasted so good, sweet but musky. He pulled from her with reluctance; seeing as how he all but begged her to keep their lips interlocked with just her own. “Oh, that’s right; I was supposed to be leaving.”

“What crazy person would say that?”

“You,” he said tipping her nose and striding to the door.

“Wait, you can’t just leave me after that….what if someone comes to attack me?” she was still slightly breathless.

He turned to her, peering into her eyes. “You’ll be fine, I promise. You’ve got a temper, you can hold your own.” His lips pressed against her own slightly before he disappeared out the front door. He left Roxanne grumbling as the door swung shut behind her.