‹ Prequel: Fearing Death

Never Look Back

11

“So.” Jon exhaled loudly the day after their home game. “Do you… want to talk about it?” He grimaced, only asking that question on principle and not because he really wanted to talk about it.

“No.” Jordyn mumbled as she sat at the dining room table with a bowl of Fruit Loops in front of her.

“Okay.” He shrugged. Off the hook.

“I don’t even know why he did it! I mean, clearly, it was his fault! He knows I have a boyfriend, he knew Dylan had just come to visit, and he knows I’m not interested in him!” She smacked one of her hands on the table. Earlier that morning as she lay in bed, she watched the kiss again on ESPN. Reporters were already calling them “DC’s golden couple”, practically praising Tyler for kissing her, but just so happened to leave out the part where she slapped him afterwards. How was it the camera didn’t seem to pick up on that? Or the pop she dumped on his suit before storming out of the suite and spending the rest of the night wandering the concourse with a hat pulled low over her eyes. “I mean, what am I supposed to tell Dylan?” She sighed, resting her head in her hands.

“Look, we all know what happened, it wasn’t like you kissed him by choice, and I’m sure Dylan will understand.” Jon insisted.

“I’ve tried calling him twice already.” She mumbled through her cereal. “This is a terrible time to start school, I think maybe I should wait another week.” She commented, remembering that she would start at Emerson Prep that Wednesday.

“Nice try, but you’re going. You’ve already missed enough classes.” Jon shook his head.

“But everyone there – ”

“You’re going.” He cut her off with a firm look as Prince Max wandered into the room before quite literally dropping himself on the floor beside her. “And he stinks, you should give him a bath.” Jon advised. “Call Dylan, eat some actual food, take a nap. Things will be just fine. I’ll be back in a few hours.” He said, leaning down to kiss her cheek gently.

“Fine.” She huffed. “Tell Mike I said hi!” She smiled.

“Will do.” Jon replied before grabbing his coat and heading to the elevator for his practice. Jordyn lazed around the house, heating up some leftover Chinese and crawling back into her new sleigh bed with Prince Max at her feet. Pulling her laptop into her lap, she logged on to see that someone had actually written on her Facebook, which was surprising because her friends knew she hardly ever used it. She cringed when the notifications tab alerted her that Carissa, a girl from her team at MPA had written on her wall. They weren’t exactly best friends.

Puck slut.” She read out loud to herself with a frown. “What the hell is a puck slut?” She was even less happy see that fifteen people had liked the post. Bringing up Google she typed the term in, eyes watering at what she read. “A girl who fucks, hooks up with only hockey players, or a girl who fucks a while hockey team. A girl who gets passed around the hockey team and gets pounded.” Tears traced down her face as she read the statement. Taking out her phone again she hit speed dial number three, calling Dylan. It rang four times and just before she gave up hope, he answered.

“Hey, Jord.” He greeted, not sounding too thrilled to be speaking to her.

“Hi.” She replied quietly.

“I just want you to know that I think it’s pretty obvious you weren’t the one who kissed Tyler.” He spoke softly. “Yeah it sucks, but I know it’s not your fault.” He insisted.

“You have no idea how happy that makes me.” Jordyn breathed a sigh of relief.

“Jordyn I really like you and I think you’re this amazingly wonderful girl.” He began, making her smile through her tears. “But I don’t think I can do this long distance thing anymore.” He finished, making a ball of lead drop in her stomach.

“What do you mean?” She asked, willing her voice not to crack.

“It’s not working out for me. The time we spent together was really fun and this isn’t your fault or anything, but I want someone I can actually be with.” He added.

“Is this because I wouldn’t… have…” She trailed, feeling terribly embarrassed and wanting to crawl into herself.

“No, no, not at all.” Dylan quickly backtracked. “It’s not you, it’s me.” He fed her the line.

“Okay.” She said quietly, not knowing what to do as she could feel her heart breaking in her chest.

“But we should still be friends.” He added right away.

“Yeah, definitely. Um, I have to go give Max a bath, I’ll… I’ll call you later.” She said quickly before hanging up, not giving him the chance to reply. She sat with tears flowing freely down her face, stunned at what had just happened.

Her first broken heart.

All Jordyn really wanted, was her Daddy.

•••

“Come on, baby girl, it’s only no fun if you make it no fun.” Jon rubbed Jordyn’s back as they sat on her bed, her head resting against his shoulder. It had been less than a week since Dylan dumped Jordyn and Jon would be damned if he ever had to go through that again. Jordyn wasn’t much of a crier, but he held her for a good two hours of solid crying before she had reduced to just a few sniffles and hiccups. Not to mention the pint of ice cream she had gone through, the McDonald’s and the three times he watched her favorite movie with her, The Secret Garden.

Tonight, Jon was hosting a get together for the players of the Capitals along with various other staff as a sort of welcoming party. Jordyn wasn’t exactly thrilled to be there, but she didn’t want to let her Dad down.

“Okay.” She sighed, stomach rumbling slightly at the smell of the food that the caterers were setting up in the dining room. “Let me get ready.” She insisted as he dropped a kiss on her head before she could disappear into the bathroom to do her hair and change into her outfit.

Jon wandered out into the apartment to make sure it was all clean and set, even Prince Max had a red bandana tied around his collar as he laid on his bed in front of the fire place.

“Be good tonight, huh boy?” Jon pet Max after crouching down to his level. “Yeah, you’re a good boy.” He smiled as Max leaned his head up into his master’s touch before the doorbell could ring.

Jordyn appeared in the family room dressed in dark jeans, a grey v-neck sweater, and a pair of heeled boots with her hair waved and bangs pinned to the side – reminding Jon again that she wasn’t a little girl anymore.

“I got it.” She smiled softly, walking towards the entrance. Opening up the door, Jordyn smiled wide upon seeing Mike Green’s happy face.

“Hey short stack.” He grinned, mussing her hair as he walked in. “Quite the rager.” He commented.

“You’re the first to get here.” She wanted to stick her tongue out at him. “But the food’s here if you’re hungry.” She added.
“Oh, good plan.” He grinned, following his nose as the doorbell rang again as Brooks Laich and David Steckel filed in, each greeting Jordyn with a smile as they both grabbed a brew from the drink stand in the kitchen. From then on in, players and family were pouring in. Jordyn giggled as Brian Fahey handed her a bottle of wine and told her “not to get too crazy.”

She was only tempted to slam the door once when Alex Ovechkin arrived with none other than Tyler Jones.

“Food’s in the dining room.” She managed out a fake smile before disappearing from the entryway as fast as possible, finding Jon with Matt Hendricks, approaching him with a pleading expression. “I’m gonna be in my room for a bit.” She whispered into his ear.

“What’s wrong?” He asked with an instant frown, worrying that he would have to knock the living daylights out of one of his own teammates.

“Ovechkin brought Tyler.” She spoke, making his eyebrows knit together in displeasure..

“You do whatever you want.” He insisted. “The party will be there when you’re ready.” Jordyn nodded with a small smile, hugging him tightly, making Hendricks grin before she could disappear down the hall and dip into her room, sitting down at her desk chair and letting out a cleansing sigh.

She only got away with typing an email to Sara on her laptop for a few minutes before her door creaked open.

“Jord?” She cringed at the sound of his voice.

“The door was closed for a reason.” She replied, not turning to face him.

“Still mad?” He asked, infuriating her further by letting a grin spread across his lips.

“No shit I’m mad.” She hissed, making his eyes widen, not expecting demure, polite Jordyn to lash out at him like that. “You ruined my relationship with Dylan, so good job.” She stood up, crossing the room to press her pointer finger into his chest. “I can’t believe I ever thought you were a good guy.” She shoved him back before exiting her room, stomping her way through the hall to the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle from the refrigerator.

“Will you just hear me out for a second?” Tyler insisted, behind her a few moments later as she leaned back against the counter top, looking at him with an unamused expression. “I’m sorry I kissed you but I don’t regret it.” He spit out, making her shake her head as she moved to leave the kitchen. “Wait.” He insisted, placing a hand on her hip, moving her back against the counter top.

Don’t touch me.” She shoved his hand off of her.

“I really like you, Jordyn.” He stated boldly.

“I’ve known you for like two weeks. You don’t even know me.” She countered, staring him down as Ovechkin walked by the kitchen, peering in but moving on quickly.

“But I like what I do know.” He insisted. “I can be here for you. I’m practicing with the Caps next week and soon I’ll be here all the time. I can be here whenever you want, I can be a good boyfriend.” He added, his gaze intimidating her as she realized just how much bigger than her he was.

“I’m not looking for a boyfriend.” She replied quickly. “I just got dumped and I don’t want to be anywhere near you.” She added.

“One date.” He asserted.

“No.” She laughed unbelievably while rolling her eyes. “Don’t you get it?” She asked him incredulously. She opened her mouth to tell him off but her voice was smothered as he crashed his lips down onto hers for a second time. He proved to be stronger than her as she placed her hands on his chest, trying to push him away with no avail. It wasn’t until his body was forcefully pulled off of her that she finally got to catch her breath.

“Why don’t you take a walk?” Alex Ovechkin spoke lowly to Tyler who hung his head like a scolded dog in the presence of his idol. Tyler turned to give Jordyn one last look before disappearing from the kitchen.

“Thanks.” Jordyn mumbled before dipping out of the room. Finding her Dad in the living room, she froze when she saw him talking to Tyler. The two where joking and laughing like old friends and it made her blood boil. Tyler caught sight of her, letting his smile grow as she approached them. “Can I speak to you?” She asked.

“Sure.” Jon nodded, making no movement to walk away.

“Privately?” She pressed, tugging him away from Tyler who busied himself with the Wii, playing bowling with Semin. “I’m going to retire for the night.” She insisted.

“Something wrong?” He asked worriedly.

“I’m going to head to bed… and lock my door.” She finished, narrowing her eyes at Tyler. “Tell Mike I said goodnight.” She said before kissing her Dad’s cheek and disappearing down the hallway without further explanantion.

Jon walked over to Tyler, looking at him for a moment before speaking up.

“Did something happen with Jordyn?” He asked, eyeing up the eighteen year old suspiciously.

“Like what?” Tyler asked innocently.

“I don’t know, she seemed pretty upset.” Jon commented.

“She seemed just fine when she talked to me.” Tyler shrugged, tipping Jon off right away that he was lying. Jordyn was very upset with Tyler and would in no way be ‘just fine’ talking to him.

“Listen up, rookie.” Jon leaned in close to keep the exchange private. “I don’t like to mix work with family, but if I find out you’re making my daughter upset - I’ll find you a first class ticket to the KHL. Got me?” He asked lowly.

“Yes sir.” Tyler nodded, wide eyed but trying to maintain his composure.

Damn teenagers.
♠ ♠ ♠
so i don't know if you've noticed, but i've kind of been an updating machine :)
i'd love to break 210 comments with this one, so feel free to leave your opinion on this chapter - good or bad!
i always love to hear your thoughts/comments/predictions/complaints!
thanks so much for being amazing readers!
and a special shout-out to trishaBOOB, you're a gem :)