Status: Complete

Eleanor & Fred

Secrets & Complications

The next month of school had come to a close, and Fred and I came to a realization. We decided that we needed to spend more time with our own friends, since we’d been neglecting them.

The first Saturday morning in December, after breakfast, Alice, Jay, Wes, and I began wandering through the castle without any set destination. “We’ve missed you, Ell!” Alice had linked arms with me and we were skipping through the courtyard.

“Yeah,” Jay called out from a few feet behind us. “I’ve been alone every time Alice and Wes decided to go snog.” Alice rolled her eyes but didn’t argue. We stopped our skipping to allow the boys to catch up. “Isn’t it a pain dating someone from another house?”

I shrugged. “I guess so. I definitely don’t get to see him anywhere near as much as Alice gets to see Wes, but it’s alright.” We continued walking, ending up inside.

“It just seems like there would be some trust issues. I mean…you don’t know what he’s doing when he’s not with you.”

“Why shouldn’t I trust him?” I was getting slightly annoyed at Jay, but Alice and Wes were a few feet ahead and didn’t notice. Normally, Alice would come to my rescue.

“I don’t know. But I still think it would be easier if you dated someone from our house.”

“What, like you?” I had been trying to make a joke and lighten up the conversation. The response I got, however, was not what I expected. Jay stopped walking and just looked at me. Alice and Wes stopped up ahead.

“What’s going on?” Alice asked. I looked from her to Jay, unsure of what to say.

“Julian?” He seemed to snap out of his trance at the sound of his full first name. Before another word was spoken he turned and began walking down another corridor.

“What’s with him?” Alice asked.

“I’m gonna follow him,” was my answer, and without looking back I did just that. He was already about ten feet ahead of me when I called out to him. “Jay, wait. What is it?”

He spun around with a crushed expression on his face. His whispered words were amplified in the empty hallway. “Why can’t it be?”

“Why can’t what be, Jay?” I closed the distance between us before he answered.

“Why can’t it be me?” As if the words weren’t enough, his voice shook like he was on the edge of tears. “Why not, Ell? What’s wrong with me?”

“There’s nothing wrong with you.” I placed a hand on his shoulder but he pulled away from me.

“Obviously there is, isn’t there? I’ve been so pathetic.” He walked away to lean against a wall. “You’d think after three years I’d get the message. Just friends. That’s it. But no. Instead, I kept hoping that one day things would change. When you started dating Fred, I thought it was just a bump in the road. I thought, if I’m supportive of her, she’ll see that she can count on me for everything, especially when something goes wrong with Weasley.”

I stood in shocked silence as Jay continued to spill his secrets to me.

“We’ve been so close, Ell. I know you’ve always thought of Alice as your best friend, but face it. We’re together a whole lot more. We talk about a whole lot more. I know you a whole lot better than anyone, even your boyfriend. I just can’t take it anymore. Seeing you with him…it just seems so wrong.” He paused before adding one last thought. “He doesn’t deserve you.”

* * * * *

“What do I do?” I was pacing in our dormitory as Alice sat on my bed. Wes said that he would try to talk to Jay, but considering the situation there probably wasn’t much he could do. “I mean….why did he even have to say anything?”

“Look at it from his perspective, Ell. He has genuine feelings for you. Imagine if you were in his position and Fred was the one you liked.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I grumbled. “It’s just….why?” I mean, it’s Jay. He’s my friend. I love him to death, but not that way. And now everything is just going to suck.”

“Look. He will either get over it, or he won’t. Either way, I will not allow our group to be torn apart because he decided now would be the perfect time to tell you. I told him to do it before you got a boyfriend.”

I stopped my pacing and stared at her. “You knew?!”

“Well…everyone knew, Ell.” I sat down on the floor, trying to process what she told me. “It’s always been kind of obvious. Even Fred asked me if he needed to be worried a few days after your first date.”

“Oh bugger, Fred.” Suddenly his face filled my mind. “Should I tell him? Should I not tell him? I’m not sure if I could keep it from him. Alice, help me.”

* * * * *

“Can I sit at your table this morning?” I asked Fred as we reached the Great Hall for breakfast.

“Are you sure? Won’t your friends miss you?” I shrugged, following him to his seat.

“Hello,” I smiled, directing my words towards George, Lee Jordan, and Angelina Johnson.

“Hey, Ellie,” Angie smiled. “I haven’t spoken with you since…what, last year?”

“I believe so. How was your summer?”

“Decent,” she shrugged.

“Mail,” Lee stated while he began piling his plate. He received the Daily Prophet and let me read it.

Beside me, Fred was conversing quietly with George. I paid no attention until I heard George say the word “her” and then I was fairly sure they were speaking of me. I strained to listen to them over the babble of all the other conversations going on.

“Yes, I trust her,” Fred whispered. “She won’t tell anyone.”

George let out a frustrated groan. “I don’t know what’s gotten into you. First, skipping out on pranks to get to know her better, and now letting her in on something of ours. Something we share. I feel like I’m losing you.”

Fred laughed quietly. “George, George, George…you will always be my brother, my amigo, my best mate. Trust me on that.” I thought I heard George sigh and the conversation ended.

I picked a random spot on the newspaper that I was pretending to read and began scanning the words, not taking them in, as Fred turned toward me. “Can we leave a little early?”

I nodded, knowing that it must have to do with what he discussed with his brother. What it could be, however, I had no idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would REALLY appreciate some comments. Seriously....it would make my day and it will only take a minute of yours! Let me know what you think, please!! :)