Titanic Was Called the Ship of Dreams, and It Was

Encounters.

Megan smiled as she walked up the stairwell again, to the third class passengers bit of deck. It was the day after the ship left her home and her mother behind, and though she hated the way third class was treated on the ship, she kept her mouth shut. Opening the door to the deck, she was greeted by a slight breeze and the same senses as the other day. Slightly skipping, she made her way to one of the non-occupied benches and sat, gazing out at the ocean. It was beautiful. So beautiful, she might just not get off! She sighed, and crossed her legs. This was the life.

~^*^~

Kristen slipped her lavender colored flat shoes on, which matched a slightly lacey dress that went to just above her ankles, grabbing a matching handbag with it and a hat as well. Checking in the mirror, she walked to the door, only to be stopped by her slightly grouchy mother.

"Dear, where are you going? It's almost tea-time," she said, frowning at her daughter.

"I'll be back for tea mother, I'm just going out to the deck to enjoy the view for a bit," she replied, and with that she stepped out the door, lightly shutting it. Stepping in the lift, she glanced at the man running it with a smile.

"Up please," She asked and he nodded, pulling a lever as the thing slowly went up. As soon as she was out, she made her way to the deck. Instantly, she spotted Megan below on the third class deck. Smiling, she opened the small gate separating the two worlds and stepped through, getting her weird looks from either class. She stepped quietly over to her new friend and smiled at her.

“Good day,” she said, making Megan look up with a shocked expression. She smiled though, and waved with her black armwarmers still on at her.

“Hello! How are you today? This is the life isn’t it!” Megan said in a happy tone. Kristen smiled back, but blinked twice as Megan stood up and walked over to the edge, looking down into the water. Kristen, being brought up proper, didn’t exactly lean over like her friend, but she looked down with a smile. It’s not like she looked down at Megan for leaning over like that, she was just used to not doing that sort of thing.

“It is rather lovely,” Kristen said, but suddenly Megan stood up straight, hands clasped behind her back as she smiled at Kristen. Backing away, she spread her arms and began to spin in circles, giggling. Kristen laughed at her.

“You’re just full of childlike wonders, Megan.” Megan stopped abruptly and grabbed Kristen’s hands, continuing to spin, but making Kristen as well. Kristen was shocked, but found it to be fun and began spinning on her own, laughing. After a while, the two got dizzy and plopped on a bench, out of breath.

“So... why are you...on the Titanic... heading to America?” Megan asked between breaths. Kristen turned her head to look at her as well, a slight frown on her face. She looked down slightly as she replied, hands clasped in her lap and legs slightly swinging back and forth.

“My parents are opposed to the amount of Germans and such entering England. My mother seems to think there won’t be as many Germans so far from Germany, so we’re headed to America,” Kristen said, but Megan immediately froze up. She was stiff as a board as the words repeated in her head.

‘She’s trying to.... escape Germans....’ She thought, and Kristen immediately got a worried expression.

“Megan? What’s wrong?” Kristen asked, worry lacing her tone, but her voice made Megan snap out of her trance with a frown and worry on her face.

“Kristen... I’m German....” Kristen’s eyes widened drastically at this, and Megan looked down.

“B-but you speak English so fluently!” she said. Megan looked up and explained.

“Me and my family are very poor, so we thought England would be better. It’s why we moved there and of course I picked up English. It’s why I’m heading to America. My older brother has a large amount of money in America, so my mother is sending me to him. Not that I’m complaining, he’s the best,” Megan finished. Though still shocked, Kristen replied in a sort of reassuring voice.

“Well, I assure you, I don’t mind Germans, and I certainly don’t think any less of you for it,” she said, and Megan looked slightly more happy.

“Thanks, you’re the best,” she replied, and the two went back to talking about anything and everything.

~^*^~

“It seems that the reason for Kristen’s outing is not only to spend time with a third class girl, but to make things worse the girl is German.” Kristen’s mother gasped in horror, grasping the arm of her chair tightly.

“I’ll give Kristen a good talking to, you make sure that... girl is taken care of,” she said, saying girl with much difficulty.

“As you wish madam.”

~^*^~

“Well, looks like it’s time for me to head back. See you around Megan!” Kristen said, grabbing her hand bag and making her way back to her room. Upon arrival, her head jerked to the side by a slap, stinging her cheek.

“How dare you hang out with that third class, German filth?” Her mother hissed at her.

~^*^~

Megan skipped happily, making her way down the hall, almost to her room, when a man appeared out of no where. She stopped abruptly, but smiled at the man.

“Good day sir, but if you’ll excuse me, I need to get... to my..room...” she said, but found herself being backed into a corner as he raised his fist high, ready to strike her.