I Found Myself Falling...Not For the Right Thing Either

Chapter 27

His words hurt even more because I knew they were true. Kent did love me, but I just couldn’t return the feeling. None of it in the way he had for me. I loved him in a brotherly way, the way I should with Craig, but the way Craig makes me feel is nothing like that, nothing like it’s supposed to be.

The past few days Kent was supportive, but I hadn’t really been around anyone, I was too confused and upset with everything to talk to anyone other than Kent. It had come to the weekend again and I was kind of excited to go out tonight.

“See you there.” Jake said as he passed by the bathroom. I nodded to him, continuing with my make-up. I heard faintly as he trotted down the stairs towards the front door. “Don’t be late either!” He added in before opening the door and closing it tightly.

A friend of the family was getting married and of course we were invited. The wedding was two hours away though so Jake had to leave earlier than I to get there since he was chosen to be in the wedding party. There were too many brides maids for me to be in it. So, luckily for me, that meant I had an extra hour on my hands until I had to leave.

If the weather was good and the sun was shining and it didn’t snow, we were looking at a very nice wedding. Unfortunately, Jake took his car and since my parents were too stubborn to buy me my own, I had to wait until Katie got here to leave.

“Knowing Katie, we will be.” I muttered aloud even though I knew Jake was already off.

I had tried to separate my time evenly, making sure I’d have enough time to do my hair, make-up, put on my outfit and eat before the car ride and wedding ceremony. I figured what I had planned out would work good.

Thirty minutes for my hair, 10-15 for my make-up, 5-10 for my outfit, depending on how long my make-up and hair would take, and then grabbing something quickly to eat here or in Katie’s car to the wedding. My clock had read 2:57 when he had left the house, it now read 3:09 so, I was doing pretty well as I finished up my make-up.

It was pretty and simple. All I had was some gray and purple eyeshadow with light gray eyeliner to bring it together, a soft pink lipstick to make my lips shimmer and some mascara. My dress was lavender at the top and as it progressed downward it faded into a dark violet.

Katie had helped me pick it out when we went shopping for them in the fall just after school had started. We kind of wanted to match so she had gotten one just like it, but in red. It was dark red at the top and reversed mine, going from dark to light instead of light to dark. It went really nice with her hair she had planned on wearing a pair of red pumps that I had along with a dark red lipstick.

We had gone over our outfits so many times it was like we had already been to the wedding.

My hair took less time than I had expected as I set down the curling iron onto the bathroom counter, admiring my brown curls. My bangs didn’t seem to stay where I wanted them to so I fussed a bit, ignoring the door downstairs as I heard it open and then close.

I huffed as my bangs fell again, not staying in the right place. I scrunched my nose as I tried to think of a way to get them to stay the way I wanted them to be. I faintly heard someone call my name and I rolled my eyes.

Couldn’t Katie figure out I was upstairs?

“Up here!” I called to her, not leaving the bathroom as I stared back at my reflection in the mirror. These bangs were going to be pinned back whether they liked it or not so, I grabbed two bobby pins and with one in my mouth, I clipped my bangs up with the first bobby pin and then pulled the second out from my lips’ grasp and reinforced the first one.

I grinned into the mirror like a Cheshire cat at my accomplishment as my bangs stayed where I wanted them to stay. I heard my door open to my room and figured Katie could wait for just a few seconds longer as I shook my head from side to side a few times, making sure that while I was dancing tonight, that my bangs wouldn’t fall.

When they didn’t fall, I smiled wider. I had some skill with hair.

My T.V. was turned on and Katie made herself comfortable as I heard my bed creak from the weight of her laying down on it.

“Just give me a second.” I informed her, shrugging out of my sweats and tank-top and into my dress. I pulled up the sides and held it close to my body with one arm, reaching around with the other to zip up the back.

When my arm couldn’t reach the zipper and hold the dress up at the same time I sighed.

“Can you help me out?” I asked Katie, trying again to grab the zipper, but my arm just wasn’t long enough to grip the metal piece. I waited for her to come into the bathroom and the door was hesitantly opened before she came in. “I just need to be zipped up.” I explained to her, desperately reaching for the zipper. I heard a deep chuckle and I laughed. “It’s not fun-” I stopped as soon as it hit me.

Katie didn’t have a deep chuckle.

I turned around, confused, and jumped as soon as my eyes met the brown hair and blue eyes. I screamed as I took a few steps back, putting some space in between us, but of course, me being a klutz and what not, my foot slid on the rug and I fell backwards. I reached out and gripped his shirt, trying to not fall, but with the sudden movement, I pulled him down with me, both of us falling to the ground with a thud.

“Ow.” I groaned, rubbing the back of my head. I moaned as Craig pushed up and resting on his forearms above me. “What the hell?” I grumbled, opening my eyes to look up at him.

“You’re the one who asked me to come in here.” He told me in a ‘duh’ tone.

“I thought you were Katie!” I defended myself.

“Why would you think that?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

“Katie’s driving me to the wedding.” I told him, using the same ‘duh’ tone that he had before. He rolled his eyes.

“I got that, I meant didn’t Jake tell you I was coming instead? He was taking Katie to the wedding.” I frowned.

Those two were inseparable since last weekend when I had caught them. It was sickening at first. The way she giggled when he said something funny or how they used nicknames like ‘babe’ or ‘cutie pie’. It was really weird and they weren’t even dating, well for all I knew…

“Of course he didn’t tell me you idiot or I wouldn’t have asked you to come in here in the first place!” I snapped at him. Craig smirked back at my slightly. Angry, I narrowed my eyes. “What?”

“Nothing.” I sat up on my elbows, looking down at the rug that was now bunched up on the floor at the other side of the bathroom. I didn’t notice how close our faces were until I looked back up. Our faces were mere inches apart. I couldn’t help, but let my eyes drift down towards his lips.

No.

I scolded myself. How could I be thinking of that right now?

“Can you get off of me?” I asked suddenly, trying my hardest to get us out of this position. He shifted, pulling his head back slightly, raising an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and shoved him so I could get up.

I tried my best to stand up and still hold my dress close to my body, not wanting Craig to see me in my undergarments.

A song started to play and I cocked an eyebrow in confusion. Craig reached into his back pocket and pulled out his phone. He flipped it open and held it to his ear. All I could hear was his side of the phone call.

“No, not yet.” He paused for a few seconds, listening to whoever was on the other side. “We’ve still got time, why?” I tried one more time to get the zipper on my dress up, but I failed. “Are you serious?!” Craig shouted into the receiver.

“What?” I asked, forgetting about my dress for a few minutes. He pointed to the window and I rushed over to it, opening my blinds and looking out into the snow blizzard backyard. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's shorter than I wnated, but I hope you like it. :)